Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sevylor Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by The Inflator View Post
    Grabners are made from natural rubber faced with EPDM (previously hypalon), not PVC. No Grabners use PVC and, since they stopped using Mirasol, no Gumotex do either
    It is the principal that is important, those boats that are made from a very strong single skin materials can be patched very successfully so if they are damaged it is not a problem. It is much easier to repair a hole in one of these boats than most rigid boats and the chances of them being damaged is less due to them bouncing off most obstacles.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Yep, took the Colorado (bounce off anything boat) into places any sane person wouldn't dare in a rigid (or RIB for fear of tangling the prop).

Quote Originally Posted by Hesse View Post
    However to say that the price is comparable to that of the Sevylor Colorado is a little skewed to say the least. Assuming that everyone is comfortable dealing with a retailer in the Czech Republic, (and many may not be when there are more easily verifiable reputable retailers closer to home) I'll accept that you may be able to pick one up for around 380. However, there are many retailers in the UK (without the need of shopping around on the continent) that will supply the Colorado for significantly less. Although I cannot vouch for their reputation, retailers such as Go Outdoors regularly offer the Colorado for 220, and even a quick Google search finds one available for 189 brand new from another site.
    There's no "may" about it. Boat Park in the Czech Republic are currently doing the Solar 410C for 12,970 CZK, that's 373 at today's exchange rate, including free shipping within the EU. Whether you're comfortable with buying from them is a separate matter, but faint heart never won reasonably priced inflatable. (For the record, I've used them several times without incident.) When it comes to Colorado pricing, let's make sure we're comparing apples with apples here. The cheapest you can buy the 2014 Colorado for is 270. Go Outdoors is selling it for 300 against an RRP of 350. Sure you can probably still get the old model extremely discounted (although I can find no trace of the 189 deal you make reference to), but that's not exactly unheard of when manufacturers bring in a new boat - the same thing happened when Gumotex phased out the Sunny in favour of the Solar 410

At the end of the day like everything in this world, you get what you pay for, and you cut your cloth to what you can afford. IF the Solar was available at the same price as the Colorado, or other lesser inflatables for that matter; such as the Sea Eagle I own, I have no doubt having tried many of the options on the market including the Colorado, it would outsell the Colorado and it's peers by a significant ratio; and I personally would have one in a heart beat. The bottom line though is that on price there is no comparison, because you are comparing the cheapest available Solars to the most expensive Colorados.
    OK, so comparing the cheapest available of both boats, there's a 100 difference. It's not an insignificant amount, I'll grant you, but I think most people would agree that it's not a vast chasm. What is that? One replacement floor bladder? And if it is too much, then get the Helios 2 instead for 300 delivered.

Re: you get what you pay for, my opinion is that Sevylors are hugely overpriced for what they are and that Gumotexes are exceptional value for money - as noted by US retailer The Boat People, if they were made in Western Europe or America they'd be double the price

As far as the Colorado "not being very good at anything", this by virtue of your economics being skewed as previously mentioned is erroneous. Is it better than a Solar? No. But is it a very good means of providing an entry level craft to someone new to the pastime; who is going to use it in conditions suitable for it's limitations and their level of experience, such as touring on a relatively calm river; whilst giving them the option to grow in confidence and experience towards class III rapids; when without the availability of such a craft within the price range may never enjoy the pleasures of paddling as we do? Absolutely.
    But the Colorado is nearly 300 quid. That's a lot of money to spend on something that you know is going to restrict you and - going by the regular posts on here - has a better than even chance of springing an expensive problem. For an entry level boat, the Gumotex Twist 2 is surely infinitely preferable. It's super light (9kg) and miniscule when folded as it's made from a lighter weight fabric but nevertheless is still pretty tough and still inflates to 3psi, so it retains proper handling characteristics. As long as you're feeling brave you can get it delivered from Boat Park for 200.

I have had a Sevylor Hudson for 5 years; in those 5 years with no over inflation, ever, I've had at least ten seam holes, resulting in zero confidence. I wouldn't consider a Sevylor again. The Fiat of the inflatable world.... I recently bought a Gumotex Solar 410c from the Czech Republic, delivered including a strake for 380, and the difference in performance (granted only one decent outing ) is remarkable. Comfortable, quick, easier to handle and inflate/deflate. But I read a lot of reviews and from what I can see they make sense. There really is no comparison.
    Last edited by summerwanderer; 28th-August-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Well, we busted out of class,
    Had to get away from those fools..

6 years for my Colorado and zero holes anywhere.

Never paddled before and took my brand new Colorado Premium out for the first time on Chichester canal at the weekend. Blown away by this canoe. Extremely stable and with absolutely zero experience I managed to paddle 4 miles in relative comfort. Extremely stable. I purchased a Sevylor electric pump which is a real bonus as you can be up and running in 5 mins without being knackered before you start. It has a built in gauge which you set to 100mb and it shuts off automatically when pressure is reached. The big bonus is the whole rig fits into the microscopic MX5 boot. Happy days.

Chichester canal is a beautiful stretch of water full on wildlife. The route takes you from the city right out into the country. Bliss.

I found paddling difficult as every time I paddled the boat yawed unless I was doing a reasonable pace. I think this was because I had the seat set right at the stern. Where is the best place to site when solo?

I really enjoyed myself and am totally hooked now. I'm 56 and wish I had discovered this great passtime earlier
    Last edited by JoBo; 3rd-August-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Excellent to hear JoBo. Paddling the Colorado solo I'd suggest either from the middle or adding kit to the front to weigh it down. Are you using a single ended paddle ( canoe) or double ended ( kayak)

Great little boats aren't they?
    It doesn't take much more than that to up and running with one of the big hand pumps! And of course its handy to have a manual pump in the boat in case you need to top the tubes up. I tend to have the seat just aft of the middle when on my own and don't have a problem going in a straight line, though it could also be your paddling technique is causing the yaw and a bit more practice will sort it. Where you using a canoe or kayak paddle?

Single at first but gave up trying to master the J stroke much to the amusement of those on the bank who just saw me going around in circles. "All the gear, no idea" style. Oh well it was my first time. I will try nearer the middle next time but I'm 16 stone... More shoreline amusement me thinks...

Others may disagree but I'd suggest kayak style paddles for the Colorado. Failing that get out with other people who can teach you things

The Mrs is coming out next weekend so keep well clear of Chichester canal - we're coming through!

Hello and Welcome!

Yes, try to get your seat nearer the middle, say bum a foot behind it. I had a Colorado, couldn't quite get it this far forward, but it made a big difference and a bag in the front levelled it off.

Paddling wise, the tendency at first, especially in an inflatable with flat sides, is to "sweep" the paddle(s) in a semi-circle. This exacerbates the turning, so you will zig-zag more. If you can draw the blade in more of a straight line, it will help. Use torso/shoulder rotation more than just pulling with your arms.

I eventually managed to J-stroke my Colorado, but it was VERY slow and quite difficult, so most of the time I used double blades. It did, though, mean that when I switched to a hard-shelled canoe, the J-stroke seemed easy!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The bag in the front will be the Mrs next weekend (I'm dead meat now). That's useful info many thanks.

The other thing I want to know is where I can buy a spare skeg fin. Been on Amazon and Fleabay and they are nearly a tenner for a bit of plastic worth 50p. I guess they are easy to make yourself.

Yep one up I normally use a double paddle, and quite often still the double when 2 up as it tends to be my 11 year old daughter with me who is usually more interested in diving over the side than putting any effort into paddling!

With regards to skeg I'd make your own. As soon as I bought mine I made a template as I'd read they are easy to loose on rocks etc. Always imagined a nice piece of aluminium would do the job if ever i needed to make a spare

Ebay are selling a blue fin to fit the Colorado which is longer supposedly giving greater tracking stability. 8.99

Stability isn't an issue that I saw but worth a go if you fancy a spare

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemagee View Post
    Stability isn't an issue that I saw but worth a go if you fancy a spare
    Apparently it reduces the yaw better than the standard sized skeg when paddling solo
    Last edited by JoBo; 4th-August-2015 at 04:20 PM.

20. Default

Hi fellas been looking at the Colarado and the Adventure,

anybody got the Adventure is it as good as the Colarado
    this is driving me mad lol.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenbond View Post
    Hi fellas been looking at the Colarado and the Adventure,

anybody got the Adventure is it as good as the Colarado
    this is driving me mad lol.
    I'd pay the extra. I have the Colorado Premium and it's the mutts nuts.

22. Default

Cheers JoBo
    I like the look better of the adventure model but will probably end up with the colarado.

Adventure is fine for mucking about on the local canal/lake, the Colorado is a more capable boat all together.

24. Default

Cheers pal looks like a colarado then.

Was on the Chichester Ship Canal last weekend and passed 3 of them!
    New paddler.
    Sevylor Colorado Premium.
    "All the gear, no idea"

My Colorado has been out in some very 'interesting' seas, I wouldn't take it out in strong offshore winds or falling tides but with onshore wind and rising tide I've had great fun in 1m+ swells.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbot View Post
    My Colorado has been out in some very 'interesting' seas, I wouldn't take it out in strong offshore winds or falling tides but with onshore wind and rising tide I've had great fun in 1m+ swells.

I was looking for a rigid canoe- long time hirer, when I came across a sevylor Pointer K2, was also looking at colorados- but the option of switching between a kayak and a sort of canoe- and the fact I found a used once pointer on gumtree with loads of kit for about haltf new price. I decided I couldnt miss out- and like yourself- (living only a mile off the sea), Ive been having some canny fun when incoming tide, and light or onshore breeze.

The fact its inflatable and therefore very bouyant is quite reassuring on sea- max 1 ft thus far.

Yep, have just bought an Advanced Frame as well, only tried it on inland water so far but great fun, from what I've seen of it so far I think it would cope in tougher seas than the Colorado but the blue blow up canoe has room for my 11 year old daughter as well and is a bit easier for her to get back into after she has dived into the sea to get a closer look at something interesting.

Default Curved Colorado

Hi All
    after buying the Aldi canoe, I've quickly moved on to a Colorado, and am loving it.
    one question, I inflate to the correct pressure but the floor seems to be quite concave, definitely not flat.
    if you look at the side, on land the middle is quite raised of the ground, any ideas?
    i was thinking about adding 2 poles to the gap between the flora do the sides, possibly broom handles with foam covering.
    but this might be a daft idea.
    or it might be that the tubes are incorrectly positioned inside the material.

the boat moves well, it's a 2010 with the 2 rubber strakes, and I can get a decent speed up.
    any thoughts on the concave shape?
    or should I just not worry?
    Last edited by TrevorAB; 3rd-September-2016 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Used advanced post

That doesn't sound right at all

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorAB View Post
    or it might be that the tubes are incorrectly positioned inside the material.
    Think you could be right here, have a fiddle around and see if it helps.

Thanks, I'm in Bala lake again next weekend, I'll try a bit of fetteling then.

Default Floor at 100mb, could it be too much?

Thinking about it, could the floor be pressing up against the sides at the stern and bow, but in the middle it is free to rise up, I've been putting 100mb into the floor, maybe I should go lower on the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorAB View Post
    Thinking about it, could the floor be pressing up against the sides at the stern and bow, but in the middle it is free to rise up, I've been putting 100mb into the floor, maybe I should go lower on the floor?
    Hi Trevor, I have a sevylor adventure plus (similar) and put 100mb in the sides and 60mb in the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks monty
    ill try that plus a but of jiggling with the side tubes and see how it looks, I expect some curve in the middle ( upwards), will feed back,

Hi All
    i took out and put back the bladders, and improved it significantly, still a bit bowed and squiffy from the front, handles fine in the water. Pressures all correct. Should the seams on the bladders follow the seams on the outer shell?

(sorry cannot seem to be able to add photo)
    Thanks

Hi Trevor,

You can't add photos directly into your posts. First you need to upload your photos to a web hosting site, e.g. Photobucket or Flickr. (I use Flickr. It's free, I just had to provide an e-mail address.) Once you have them on a web host, you can then add a link into your post, and the picture will appear.

Mary
    Not in Oxford any more...

Great thanks will do

Hello, is anyone here using a Sevylor Adventure Plus?

Hello, we've got one, had it about a year

Hello Montydog. Did you make trips with it? Or recreational use?
    Have you posted pics or vids?
    I can't wait to get the Sevvy out again for a longer trip. I logged my trip here if you are interested. Let me know what you think. Brings back memories...? ;-)

Hello there, for recreational use at the moment but would love to do trips in it. Got a backpack for it last year which makes it a bit more portable. Had first trip out this year today in advanced elements lagoon 1, planning more trips on the broads. Have fun, would be interested to hear how you get on doing a trip ��

43. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    Hello, is anyone here using a Sevylor Adventure Plus?
    Yes! I've been meaning to write a review for a while, so here it is. The Sevylor Adventure Plus is a 12ft inflatable open canoe that carries two adults and a small child, although I use mine solo and have plenty of space for gear. The canoe inflates in about ten minutes with a hand pump, I've purchased the Sevylor electric pump that shuts off at the correct pressure and makes inflation quick and easy. The canoe is great but is let down by the seats which are useless, the back offers no support and gives me backache and the part you sit on isn't long enough. I am using a Highlander outdoor seat which gives more support but is still not ideal. I've had several trips out this summer and the Adventure Plus has stood up well, even when I got blown across the river into brambles.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789