Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sevylor Colorado

Billy, can you post a picture of the problem?

I had a Colorado a few years back and put a gash in the bottom about 6 inches long.

I bought a PolyMarine PVC repair kit (basically some adhesive and a good size piece of reinforced PVC) and managed to do a pretty good repair.

The standard repair kit is only good for small holes in the inner sections.

Cheers

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyRiser View Post
    Billy, can you post a picture of the problem?

I had a Colorado a few years back and put a gash in the bottom about 6 inches long.

I bought a PolyMarine PVC repair kit (basically some adhesive and a good size piece of reinforced PVC) and managed to do a pretty good repair.

The standard repair kit is only good for small holes in the inner sections.

Cheers

Tom
    We were in the Iles of Scilly when it split. I'd pulled the canoe up onto the boat the night before and tied it to the stanchion. I just woke up the next morning and there was this split on the bottom of the canoe right along the weld:

I fiixed it temporarily with gaffa tape on the outside. I fixed it 'permanently' (I hope) using Tear-Aid type B. It's a clear plastic tape that lorry drivers use to repair PVC lorry sides. Haywoods sell it http://www.haywoodproducts.com/pvc-repair-tape It's not the cheapest of stuff but you do get a 5 foot roll. Very easy to apply; just cleaned off the gaffa tape I'd used as the temporary repair, butted the edges together and put the tape on. Then I put a piece on the inside as well. It's a bit like applying a stretchy sellotape. The canoe's had a few outings since without any sign of leaks

This is a pic of the Colorado in the Iles of Scilly - an amazing place but very difficult to get to with a canoe. We were using it at the time to watch seals so we had turned the seats round to face one another - because the seals always surface behind you!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ruffian View Post
    Although Sevylor describe it as 'self draining' I've always taken this to be an error in translation/understanding and that what they meant was that if you were swamped then the majority of the water would empty out of the plug hole (assuming the plug was removed) as the canoe is essentially very buoyant. Imagine trying to fill a Colorado up by using a bucket to flood it with water - if the bung were open the canoe would drain quickly. Compare this to doing the same to a 'normal' canoe where there isn't a plug or the inherent buoyancy.

I normally have used the Colorado on flat water and have kept the bung in. The plug on my Colorado is a tight fit in the hole and I've never suspected water of coming in. Try a little vaseline around the plug - that should cure any leak.

I might open the bung and then get the kids to try to fill up the Colorado with water using a bucket one sunny weekend.... It would give me time to read the paper!
    Thanks for the tip. Vaseline worked a treat! Simple but effective. Only water in the boat was that which we brought in with us! After several times of use still learning the unique features of this boat. So much information is NOT in the instructions and there is a lot you have to work out or learn from others on here. Definately suffering the cold water deflation which if I had not read this first I would be worried about. I am using the footpump and at the moment the way round is to give the whole thing a good dipping before going out and then topping up. Seems the answer to this is the stirrup pump. Obviously paddling kayak style brings in a lot of water and I wondered about making some sort of cover to form a temporary splash deck to try and reduce this. Difficult with two to control in wind but skeg helps. I wondered if anyone else found that the canoe seems to attract dogs to use as substitute lamp post!!!?! Still working out the best solution in which to clean it.

Cool Recession Affects Production

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ruffian
    Just been comparing a 2007 Colorado with a 2009
    You are totally right, I went to buy a 2009 version 2 months ago and bought an older Colarado instead, just because the colour was better (olive green) Just after I found that the specification was lot's better on the older model too. I think Sevylor are cutting back on materials in this current financial climate....
    Last edited by KeithD; 14th-June-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: quote

hi there every 1 i am new to the site best site out for kayaking stuff.
    buying a colorado arriving sometime this week cant wait,
    i am a total newbie to paddling,is the colorado safe to get back into if you fell out of it?
    i am quite worried about that?
    also i bought this life jacket for it Secumar-Echo-Foam-Buoyancy-Aid-50N but i am thinking this wont be good enough?

any help would be great thanks.

to be honest dear you'd have to go out of your way and actually try to fall overboard in the coleridoo. You sit very low surrounded by your inflatable and unless you're planning to do rapids or waves you will not be falling in - praps first getting in off a quay/bank can be a little nervy if you're haven't sorted a technique - if in doubt just tie it off. On flat water I can stand in mine. Your floatation jkt looks fine. If it's new/clean have a word with your local swimming pool and dive in. If your really worried about the falling in - thats not going to happen - tow a boogie-board behind and get onto that - then your Coleridoo

thanks for the reply i was out on it last week seemed very stable mind you.
    thats a good idea with a surf board on back.
    im concerned about something on it,i bought the 2009 version it stated on the description that it had the motor mount fittings on it but it doesnt look like it to me just see 4 hoops at back is that the motor mount fittings?

Well page 3 of this blog shows the older version motor mountings but dunno about the newer version. The motor's not that much fun really

Quote Originally Posted by campersteve View Post
    thanks for the reply i was out on it last week seemed very stable mind you.
    thats a good idea with a surf board on back.
    im concerned about something on it,i bought the 2009 version it stated on the description that it had the motor mount fittings on it but it doesnt look like it to me just see 4 hoops at back is that the motor mount fittings?
    the motor mount on the colorado is at the side the new 2009 model has inflatable seats and no motor mounts for the sbm motor

the (sbm18) 18 lbs thrust motor will propell you at a good walking pace nothing more, the old sbm 12lbs thrust is only suitable for small caravelles and fishunters up to the 210 model

if they state on the discription that it has the mounts and it hasnt then you are free to send it back as non discribed

Default Paddling a Colorado

Cracked it! I can now paddle a colorado with one paddle without changing sides using a J stroke. Least ways, I can once it's already moving forwards....

I found this video on You Tube very useful. YouTube - How to Steer and Paddle a Canoe : How to do the J Stroke in Canoeing The same chap demonstrates other strokes as well.

It seems so impossible to do at first What I did was use a double ended (kayak) paddle to get going and then just started doing the J stroke on the one side. Within a few minutes I could keep the Colorado going pretty much where I wanted it to go. I was kneeling in the canoe not sitting which made it much easier.

With just a single paddle I still find it difficult to get going without switching sides. Once I've got forward motion I can keep it going the way I want or change the direction left or right easily enough. I think I just need more practice. The You Tube man talks about using a C stroke to start the canoe moving.

I'm surprised it started working with the kayak paddle, as they're normally curved and a canoe paddle straight.
    C stroke is reasonably useful, not sure how easy it'd be learning from a video - I might suggest trying to learn the slice J first or after the C , then you don't get so tired on long journeys with too many J's. But I think I'm just advising you to learn the way I was taught, so not sure if this post is just yabbering...

The kayak paddle I use is straight bladed. It's the type that you can separate in the middle and fit handles on to make 2 single paddles.

Anybody know where I could go to get instruction about paddling J & C strokes etc? I'm in Gloucestershire.

Blackpool, Blackpool, United Kingdom, 105752519458380, Blackpool

Billy search on you tube there's quite a few

Post Which paddle and what length?

I'm a new member. Have just bought a Sevylor Colorado for myself and (sometimes) my wife to do some gentle paddlig on the rivers, canals and estuaries of the West Country where we live.
    I've read all the posts in this forum and found them very useful. I deliberately haven't bought paddles yet as I can arrange with one of the South West Lake Trust watersports centres (on reservoirs) to let me try out different paddles that they have.
    Looking at the posts, the general consensus seems to be that for beginners the best combination is a kayak paddle for solo use and two Canadian single paddles for when there are the two of us.
    Spoke to a local canoe shop today and they reckoned that the Canadian paddles needed to be shorter than average and the kayak paddle needed to be longer (their reasoning was because you were nearer the water but the sides of the canoe were wider than in a GRP or wood boat.
    How do members find the kayak paddle that splits into parts and can be used as either two Canadian style or one kayak paddle. That would seem to be the ideal solution but are the lengths right? The canoe shop said they wouldn't be.
    I'm not sure how relevant it is but I am 6 foot with long arms and my wife is 5'9" with standard issue arms!
    Any input would be welcomed - I am hoping to get down to one of the reservoirs by Wednesday (8th July).
    Regards to all members
    Stephen

Default motor on 2009 sevylor Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by grestini View Post
    the motor mount on the colorado is at the side the new 2009 model has inflatable seats and no motor mounts for the sbm motor

the (sbm18) 18 lbs thrust motor will propell you at a good walking pace nothing more, the old sbm 12lbs thrust is only suitable for small caravelles and fishunters up to the 210 model

if they state on the discription that it has the mounts and it hasnt then you are free to send it back as non discribed
    Essentially, the same thing has happened to me - BEWARE!! The 2009 does NOT have motor mounts, despite what some retailers and sellers would have you believe.

Following on from this, does anyone think that there is any way to attach an SBM motor to a 2009 colorado, given that there are no fixings? Could I use a traditional mounting board?

16. Default

hi guys

im totally new to the sport and was thinking about gettin a colorado. any ideas if it is suitable for exploring the coast as well as rivers and lakes etc?

cheers

[QUOTE=snaffles;193000]How do members find the kayak paddle that splits into parts and can be used as either two Canadian style or one kayak paddle. That would seem to be the ideal solution but are the lengths right? The canoe shop said they wouldn't be.
    I'm not sure how relevant it is but I am 6 foot with long arms and my wife is 5'9" with standard issue arms!

I'm 5'9" and find the multi use paddle OK although if the Kayak part was longer it would be better. Quite strong and well made. I bought mine from Adventure Supplies:
    http://www.adventuresuppliesuk.com/b...cessories.html
    Kayak Double Bladed Paddle with T Grips, 2 Sec 2.15m in length
    This paddle can be used as a double bladed kayak paddle or as two single bladed canoe paddles by splitting it into two and using the two T Grips.
    Price £ 44.99 - in Stock

I've also got a very cheap kayak paddle of the type that comes in 5 parts PA225 on Adventure Supplies web site - it's not up to much though.

I have a 2 part 215cm paddle. Its a bit short to be ideal, but does the job. 10cm longer would be better, but not seen one available. I'm 5'10".

Quote Originally Posted by andycoupe View Post
    Essentially, the same thing has happened to me - BEWARE!! The 2009 does NOT have motor mounts, despite what some retailers and sellers would have you believe.

Following on from this, does anyone think that there is any way to attach an SBM motor to a 2009 colorado, given that there are no fixings? Could I use a traditional mounting board?
    Hi all, just joined the forum, as I'm waiting delivery of a Colarado, I would also like to know if an electric motor can be fitted to this Kayak when it arives, even if there are no pre-fitted mounts, if so, could I fit a more powerful motor than the standard Sevylor one.

Cheers.

Post Paddle length and inflation/deflation

Finally got down to Roadford lake today to put the new Colarado in the water for the first time. Here in the South West we are having strong winds and heavy showers so didn't do a lot but did try out the paddles they lent me. I was quite impressed with how well the canoe handled the choppy lake and the wind.
    They only had one standard paddle of each type - the kayak double paddle is exactly 2 metres (79 inches in my talk!) and the single Canadian type 145 cm (OK, I'll drag myself into the 21st century). The Canadian one definitely felt too long and the kayak one a bit short. But as a total beginner I guess I can learn to adapt.
    Thanks to Billy Ruffian and Mal Grey for the replies - I'll go down the combination route to start with as the kayak side will be a bit longer and I shan't be using the Canadian ones much. If Mal says he has trouble finding one longer than 215 I imagine it would be expensive if someone does make it - rare things usually are.
    Inflation and deflation went fine - I have a small air pump (£7 from Argos) (bought for a camping mattress) which runs off the car cigarette lighter and takes it up to almost the right pressure. It also has a deflate setting. I can then finish off with a foot bellows. I agree the pressure meter is a bit fiddly. Has anyone tried the Stearns Bravo 7 pump with built in pressure meter? It has certainly ben mentioned on this forum. My experience in the past with car foot pumps with built in meters is that the meter isn't that accurate. If no-one on theis forum has tried one I'll try on the full "Inflatable canoes - all types" forum.

First impressions (on a very limited trial in not very good conditions) very favourable. Looking forward to a calm sunshiny day.

Regards to all

Stephen

Hi I have just joined the site becuase I am about to buy a savylor colorado and found all the info here of great help. I am totally new to this and have never canoed before. Looking to have some fun on the Lakes in Lake District when on holiday.
    I live in Derbyshire and wondered if anyone can suggest places to canoe in the Midlands.
    I would also like some advice on canoe courses,can anyone suggest anything that might be useful? I would also like to take it out on the sea when in Cornwall so I am really looking for something that will give me some basic ways to keep safe.
    Alibe

I see lots of people have lost the Skegs from the bottom of the Colorado / Rio, I have cut a spare from Aluminium, it fits and tracks well, what I did consider was to add a small hole that I could perhaps add a thin cable to, in the event my Skeg broke loose, I would hopefully be able to save it, anyone else tried this ?.

Cheers.

Default Minn Kota motor mount ?

Me again, I have picked up a Minn Kota electric motor, however as my Colorado is a 2009 model with no motor mount on the side, I'll have to make a motor mount, has anyone built a mount themselves ?, does it fit directly over the rear of the canoe, or to one side ?

Thanks.

24. Default

Hi
    How fast does the colorado go compared to an open canoe or a kayak. I'm finding it difficult to tell!
    cheers
    Justin

Default Speed

Just tried out a Colorado the other day, I'd say speed wise its slightly slower than a Open Canoe (So obviously much slower than a touring kayak) but a good deal faster than a white-water or play kayak. Couldn't get it to a very high top speed but it's really light so each paddle was about the same effort as a hard-shell.
    On a current (nothing big - we were on the leam so not tried it on anything substantial) it shot along, much more than usual on that stretch of river so I'd guess that down stream it'd be pretty handy.

We were paddling tandem and our first time in a Colorado so others who own them may well have a better idea.

It did convince me to buy one though!
    Anyone found one for cheaper than £270?

We find ours slow. Nice as an intro for us but we have other boats to paddle now. I suspect ours will be on Ebay soon so you might want to watch that space!

How soon?

Anyone found a long two-bit paddle - needs to be able to get small enough to fit in the car boot but I'm 6"2 and haven't seen one that ends up long enough?

28. Unhappy

Hello all.

We are newbies to this forum and to inflatable canoes. We wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem to ours.

Hubby and I bought a Sevylor Colorado about a month ago and we have used it four times. The problem is, each time the base is inflated it seems to get more and more distorted. It just will not lie flat- it can only be described as 'lumpy'. We have tried unzipping the base and straightening the inside, but it doesn't make any difference. The instruction book is useless.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I have used mine a dozen times, to be honest, I don't pay much notice now, as an inflatable, it's never going to inflate the same way twice, a friend has the colorado as well, neither canoe looks the same when blown up, so if you have tried moving the inner tubes before hand to no avail, all you can do is try inflating the floor first, maybe adding a little more air to try and force it straight, if your unhappy though, perhaps you have a bad tube, so send it back.

But as a former Old Town Camper owner, I have never enjoyed canoeing so much, as the transport and quick inflating overrides any down side of the Colorado.

Hope you get sorted.

when inflating our seadoo, which is the same as a colorado, we do the sides first and then the floor.

we put some air into each bladder, just enough so that it starts to lift the outer cover and then open up the zips and adjust them until they sit right and the valves are centred in the openings. Zip back up and fully inflate. do the same with the floor etc.

Takes a little more time but always stays straight for us!

Could be you have a duff floor bladder. Take it out and inflate a bit and you will soon see!!

I've got 2 Colorados (one 2007 and one 2009) and haven't had a problem like you describe at all.

I did have the sides blow up once on one of them in the wrong place - it seemed they had just dropped back in the outer a few inches. It was easily solved.

I always blow the bottom up first and straight up to the full pressure. I know the manual says to do the sides first but, as you say, the manual is hopeless!

32. Default

Thank you all for your replies to our problem of a distorted and lumpy base on our Sevylor Colorado. We felt a bit apprehensive about messing about too much with the inner tubes as the product is virtually brand new and we didn't want to void any warranty.

Anyway, after reading your comments, we took the bull by the horns today and have spent some time shaking, pulling, pushing and prodding - trying to get the inner tubes on the sides straighter and the one in the base to lie flat.

Result? Well it does look better than it did. Also, as suggested, we inflated the base first and then the sides. This was all done very gradually and took quite a long time, but produced a better shape all round. Hope to get much quicker with practice. Thank you all again.

33. Default

Quote Originally Posted by edpethick View Post
    Just tried out a Colorado the other day, I'd say speed wise its slightly slower than a Open Canoe (So obviously much slower than a touring kayak) but a good deal faster than a white-water or play kayak. Couldn't get it to a very high top speed but it's really light so each paddle was about the same effort as a hard-shell.
    On a current (nothing big - we were on the leam so not tried it on anything substantial) it shot along, much more than usual on that stretch of river so I'd guess that down stream it'd be pretty handy.

We were paddling tandem and our first time in a Colorado so others who own them may well have a better idea.

It did convince me to buy one though!
    Anyone found one for cheaper than £270?
    Where di you find one at 270?

I bought my Colorado a couple of weeks ago for £299 at Jones Chandlery, St. Ives, Cambridge.

Post Price of Colorado

I bought mine (blue) for £269 + delivery (next day) from World of Camping in Redruth Cornwall, by mail order over the internet. Website:www.worldofcamping.co.uk. Usual disclaimer - no connection with firm. I have used them before for camping equipment and always found them reliable and prompt (and cheap!).Came in original Sevylor box with pump and gauge. Am very pleased with it (see my earlier posts).Regards to allStephen
    Last edited by snaffles; 21st-August-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Most of message missing

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Where di you find one at 270?

It was new, on e-bay listed about 15 in june/july under "wilddeity" quite pleased with what i got, its simply last seasons model - which some here say is better.

I work on e-bay so watched for a month till I got one cheap. Talking to them they get new stock in September so perhaps if you send them a buzz they can tell you when exactly and how much.

Should also add that I got it for £235 inc P&P in the end but without a manometer. (the £270 was the lowest before that post).
    Last edited by edpethick; 21st-August-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Default We love our Colorado

We just got back from canoeing in France. The Colorado was great! I've only got a fiesta and we easily fitted the canoe inc bouyancy aids and all our camping stuff in. We took the canoe on 4 rivers and 2 of the courses we did were red runs with rapids. The Colorado was brilliant it scraped over shallow rocks, bounced off rocks and there's not even a scratch. We managed to get free lifts to start points quite often and we recon the Sevylor saved us 100 Euros in equipment hire. It was really hot (35 degrees plus) and a couple of times we noticed the sides had expanded a lot so we let out a bit of air just in case.

Following some of the points below.... Our canoe doesn't have a pressure gague, an old model I guess. One day one of the sides slowly went down a bit so we swapped round the valves things and it was absolutely fine. Also we both use double paddles with no problem, just took us a bit of practce (and some splash fights). We definately found it slower than solid canoes but a lot more stable. We didn't feel like it was even close to capcising but we did see lots of people in solid canoes roll over in the rapids. As it was so sunny drying it was no problem, but we do have to put up with it drying in the dining room when we're in rainy England - will try the step ladder tip!

We're planning to take it in the sea at the weekend (weather depending) so will report how we get on!

All in all we love it!

Nits1000

38. Default

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get one yesterday and put it on the water last night, forgot to put the skeg on but had fun anyway.

As it was second hand I didn't get a manual with it. Does anyone out there have the tools to scan one and email me a copy, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Post Colorado manual

As has been mentioned once or twice on this forum, the Colorado manual is pretty basic and not much help. I would say that if you have already managed to puut it in the water the manual won't tell you anything you haven't already found out, or that commonsense doesn't suggest!If the moderator agrees I am quite happy to scan it and put it on the forum as a file.Regards to allStephen

Snaffles is right - the manual says in 15 languages where to stick your pump

Anyone else not keen on the skeg on rivers?, seems to run better without it to me, straight line isn't a problem and catches on everything - mine looks like I tried to grate it after just a 4hr trip. On lakes that's a different story though

Post Colorado manual

Hi to Ace Ventura and anyone else who needs a manual. I have just sent our webmaster the three pages from the manual which apply to English readers as .pdf files. He will be putting them onto the site in due course and will let us know the location of the files.Hope this helps (though I doubt it, unless you want to know that you shouldn't roll it up in a ball when wet and stuff it into a damp cupboard for the winter).Regards to allStephen

Journal Entries

And here are the files (note you will need to be logged in to see them )
    Attached Files Attached Files

43. Default

Hi

Thanks for that, much appreciated. We did get it in the water and it ws fine, but always helps to have as much info as posible!

Much appreciated. Will be out this weekend in it so looking forward to that!

44. Default

I'm looking to purchase a Colorado in the next few days, space issues make a rigid canoe impossible for now, however with winter fast approaching, and me being the hardy weatherbeaten Marlboro man type , I'd be keen to continue my canoeing throughout the winter - not raging storms you understand but a little rain and a a few icebergs floating along Castle Semple wouldn't put me off.

I haven't found any posts about using an inflatable in winter - is it feasible? Presumably air pressure would be an issue? Would the Colorado be up to it?

Thanks in advance

Derek

No problem at all!

We used ours last winter on really cold and frosty days, no different to using it in any other weather.

I seem to remember Mal Grey has used his as an Icebreaker!!!!

Enjoy

Al

I ordered a new 2009 Colorado yesterday afternoon and it arrived at 11 oclock this morning, from "Adventure Supplies UK".

splashdown

Rain, Icebergs,winter....Typical Paisley summer weather.

Colorado has a bit of a problem with the marlboros due to the lack of ashtrays..

"I'd be keen to continue my canoeing throughout the winter ". [me .
    too ]

Air pressure.....is only of interest to meteorologists.

. See ya soon bruv

Jus Chillin

So day 1 with the Colorado was great, after all the great advice in this forum we bought a new 2009 Colorado which arrived yesterday. We took it down to the Basingstoke canal in between the rain showers to test it out, we really should have bough this before the summer instead of at the end!!

Anyway it is great, very windy yesterday so we will definitely use the red skeg today. A few questions if anyone can answer:

Fitting the skeg needs to be done before the Colorado is inflated, any tips on doing this? I am worried its a bit fragile, and as I need to arrange the tubes as I inflate I am worried I will snap it or break the mountings. It all looks pretty strong but I am a little ham fisted...

With regard to drying, last night I hung up the canoe in the garage by the lift handles, is there any reason why I cant do this for a long period? I realise these handles are designed to carry the canoe but again am concerned about damanging them. Does anyone else do this?

Thanks

Default Hanging a Colorado

Hi jgwatibm,

Good to hear your now bitten with the bug of canoeing.

The Skeg - definately fit before inflation, it is a pretty rugged design, so I reckon even as you say your "Ham fisted" your will have to be more than that to break it. Many colorado users have mentioned that they tend to loose the skegs, I've drilled a small hole towards the top of the skeg and have some small cord thru it which I attach to the side of the canoe. Make a template of it just incase you need to make another skeg. It appears Sevylor don't sell replacements.
    Reckon the handles will take the weight whilst its drying, not sure if left like that over prolonged periods. I use the "step Ladder" method (always wondered why I had 2 of them).

Enjoy it, the colorado is excellent and will do most things you want very well.

I seem to remember Mal Grey has used his as an Icebreaker!!!!
    Indeed I have, several times, with no harmful effects to the boat, & only pyschological ones to me. (Fear of films starring Leo Di Caprio & Kate Winslett). Icebreaking in an inflatable, in the dark is a little creepy, the first you know about the ice is the ominous creaking noises, a little like scraping fingernails down a blackboard.

Worst thing about it was actually cold hands - metal kayak paddle not the best idea even with good gloves!

This winter I'll be using the Prospector though, & a nice wooden paddle!

Quote Originally Posted by ittakestwo View Post
    Hi jgwatibm,

Good to hear your now bitten with the bug of canoeing.

The Skeg - definately fit before inflation, it is a pretty rugged design, so I reckon even as you say your "Ham fisted" your will have to be more than that to break it. Many colorado users have mentioned that they tend to loose the skegs, I've drilled a small hole towards the top of the skeg and have some small cord thru it which I attach to the side of the canoe. Make a template of it just incase you need to make another skeg. It appears Sevylor don't sell replacements.
    Reckon the handles will take the weight whilst its drying, not sure if left like that over prolonged periods. I use the "step Ladder" method (always wondered why I had 2 of them).

Enjoy it, the colorado is excellent and will do most things you want very well.

Thanks for the numerous tips about attaching the skeg btw, saved mine the other day for doing so, and wouldn't have thought about it until after the first time!

52. Default

Hello folks, Ive had a colorado for a couple of months now and have loved it.

Ive had a few pinhole puncures due to brambles when dragging it up a bank in the highlands. My glue for repairing it (the kit works really well but it rather small) has almost run out. Where can I find the correct glue for repairing it? DOes anyone have a ruined bladder which could be chopped into patches and sent to members for a small fee?

Ive had some lovely evenings on the water soo far and am delighted with my boat.

Thanks for all the info- ive been lurking a while on the site and have found it very usefull.

PS if you have ascanner at home just take a copy of the skeg and there you have it. I have a copy of mine for anyone who has lost theirs. If you print it on an a4 sheet of paper its an exact copy. I use fishing line to hold mine just in case. Im thinking of making one but a little longer. Im sure I could glue another fitting onto the base of the boat 4 inches further up to give a lot better tracking.

Default Hi all, just bought a Colorado...

after reading this thread and looking at other info on alternatives, it informed my decision to buy. I got it from Brookbank in Stockport (my home town) - their package deal was pretty good since I needed paddles etc. I got the canoe this morning, so I have only practiced inflation/deflation so far, and drilled the skeg so I don't lose it (nice tip, thanks ).

Will mainly be using the Colorado on local canals, with my other half and/or my camera. Looking forward trying it for the first time tomorrow, given near perfect weather forecast. We have the 09 version of course, colour is 'teal', and we think the two tone effect looks smart

Thanks again to all posters for advice/info - much appreciated.

Have a good weekend,
    Stephen

hi has anyone here ever used the Sevylor Canyon SC320 or have any opions on it

I`ve seen quiet a few posts now about loseing your skeg, and people saying you car`nt get a replacement,

Won`t these fit???

http://www.gwdoling.co.uk/canoeaccy.asp?grpnum=684

Quote Originally Posted by jack30 View Post
    I`ve seen quiet a few posts now about loseing your skeg, and people saying you car`nt get a replacement,

Won`t these fit???

http://www.gwdoling.co.uk/canoeaccy.asp?grpnum=684
    Looks to be the right shape

I have drilled my skeg, so can tie it to the boat using some thin rope.

Regards,
    Stephen

Default After first outing.....

....very pleased with the boat Easy to inflate and set up on the canal bank where we took our maiden voyage

Two aboard and found it easy to paddle & keep straight (both using kayak paddles). Very stable and easy to manoeuvre, and comfortable both whilst paddling and when eating lunch!

The only issue is that one of the paddles is not quite long enough - I was using a 225cm one, my wife a 220cm paddle. And although only 5cm shorter, that was not quite long enough and caught the side of the canoe (especially the rubber eyes ahead of the front seat). The blades are also a bit smaller so less powerful. So I'll see if I can swap for a longer paddle tomorrow.

Next I want to try it solo, and see if I can secure my camera tripod with thin bungee cord - perhaps using the front seat clips?? Has any one tried this, and does it work?

Regards,
    Stephen

Default colorado 2008 or 2009 model?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first inflatable and there seems to be some differences between the 2008/9 models. Can anyone tell me what these are and if they are worth bothering about. The 2009 model appears to be cheaper??

Thanks, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first inflatable and there seems to be some differences between the 2008/9 models. Can anyone tell me what these are and if they are worth bothering about. The 2009 model appears to be cheaper??

Thanks, Chris
    The '09 model doesn't have the trolling motor fittings (two moulded loops on one side), and I think from my research the seat backs are different - a bit lower maybe - if I remember correctly. Not sure about anything else from memory. There is a new green colour for '09, called 'teal' which has light grey inside - that's what I got, and I think the two tone looks quite stylish

By the way, I got two kayak paddles with mine, one at 220cm, the other 225cm. The shorter one is too short, and Brookbank happily exchanged for a second 225cm since it had only been used once.

Regards,
    Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

Yes, I had seen that the seat backs were lower and wondered if that means less support and comfort? I doubt I would ever use a motor so I don't think that's a huge loss.

Cheers

Chris

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast