Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sevylor Colorado

Journal Entries

I bought a 2007 model this year from adventuresuppliesuk (bit of pimping because of the good service ) as they were slightly cheaper than the 2008 and I inquired what the differences were between the two models.

Apparently with the 2008 model they are relying more on the skeg fitted to the underside to help with tracking as they have actually reduced the size of the directional strakes (this is from memory) so this might explain why people are getting different handling charactoristics with the 2008 model without a skeg.

I decided that knowing my luck I would lose the skeg anyway the first time I came within a sniff of a rock or the bottom and went for the 2007 and also because I had seen on here an excellant home made skeg out of some marine ply and I thought that would be simpler to take on and off when needed

My top two tips for other Colorado owners :
    1. Make sure you have closed the drain plug You will paddle about floating quite happily with it open it is only when you try and haul it out you will realise what you have done
    2. Get a stirrup pump, most should do both inflating and deflating, now you know those irritating lido valves? all you do it put the hose in without connecting it to the pump, mine comes with and attachment that is a bit longer with an angled tip, this will hold the valve open and it will deflate left alone. Then hook it up to the deflate side and you can suck all the air out of the base, and do the same with the seat airbags, this makes a big difference to packing away and getting it in the bag again

Happy paddling

Default Tig's tips deflate me (faster)

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I bought a 2007 model this year from adventuresuppliesuk (bit of pimping because of the good service ) as they were slightly cheaper than the 2008 and I inquired what the differences were between the two models.

Apparently with the 2008 model they are relying more on the skeg fitted to the underside to help with tracking as they have actually reduced the size of the directional strakes (this is from memory) so this might explain why people are getting different handling charactoristics with the 2008 model without a skeg.

I decided that knowing my luck I would lose the skeg anyway the first time I came within a sniff of a rock or the bottom and went for the 2007 and also because I had seen on here an excellant home made skeg out of some marine ply and I thought that would be simpler to take on and off when needed

1. Make sure you have closed the drain plug You will paddle about floating quite happily with it open it is only when you try and haul it out you will realise what you have done
    2. Get a stirrup pump, most should do both inflating and deflating, now you know those irritating lido valves? all you do it put the hose in without connecting it to the pump, mine comes with and attachment that is a bit longer with an angled tip, this will hold the valve open and it will deflate left alone. Then hook it up to the deflate side and you can suck all the air out of the base, and do the same with the seat airbags, this makes a big difference to packing away and getting it in the bag again

Happy paddling

Tig has a good point here. Dont be put off buying a 2007 model. I wanted the up to date model not really knowing the differences between the versions. The most noticeable of which is the "cough and it comes off" skeg on the 2008 model. Last Sunday as I reached the other side edge of lake Bala, (the things we will do for an ice cream (2hr ish paddle)) I was approached by a fellow newbie Sevylor Colorado owner who by looking under my canoe told me that my model had shallower "directional strakes". His canoe must have been the 2007 model!!

Tig also has a top tip. Cant wait to try the opening the floor valve hose tip, in fact cant wait to try the deflate thing either with the pump rather than trying to squeeze the air out. I feel so stupid now. I saw the word deflate once on the pump but never gave it a second thought to use it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mountaintiger View Post
    Tig has a good point here. Dont be put off buying a 2007 model. I wanted the up to date model not really knowing the differences between the versions. The most noticeable of which is the "cough and it comes off" skeg on the 2008 model. Last Sunday as I reached the other side edge of lake Bala, (the things we will do for an ice cream (2hr ish paddle)) I was approached by a fellow newbie Sevylor Colorado owner who by looking under my canoe told me that my model had shallower "directional strakes". His canoe must have been the 2007 model!!
    Aha! real world confirmation Think a couple of skegs at the back end might help out here

Tig also has a top tip. Cant wait to try the opening the floor valve hose tip, in fact cant wait to try the deflate thing either with the pump rather than trying to squeeze the air out. I feel so stupid now. I saw the word deflate once on the pump but never gave it a second thought to use it.
    *blushes* actually I had been sitting there about a minute before I twigged it and actually sucking the air out the base ( don't bother with the sides) makes it a lot easier to get in the bag, the bag closes more now than when it came out the box

Oh the other thing is that a stirrup pump and hose fit perfectly in the aft netting bag

Default A skeg too far??

Hi Tig

I did actually buy 2 skegs, but as I was dashing out of the house only had time to think that I could use wooden spoon from kitchen to act as a dowel. Ill be off to tesco/asda to buy another cheap wooden spoon to give the 2 skeg approach 'a go', but have been happy that the 1 skeg has seemed to solve the problem, however 2 skegs may allow me to indian paddle on left hand side whereI cant at the moment as that is where the 1 skeg only would be (see previous post for explanation)??

I always take 2 small towels with me so I can wipe canoe dry when finished. I also take a dry bag with me which allows me to fit in 2 detachable kayak paddles, boyancy aids, the 2 wet towels, mesh bag. On one occasion after doing the 9 miles down river wyre it was easy to phone a taxi to take me back with just the couple of bags, rather than having hands full of bits and pieces.

Oh and it did come in useful when stopping off at pub across Lake Windermere where I was able to park canoe in beer garden, dry feet with towel, put on training shoes and pick up a couple of pints. So consider taking alternate footwear. I actually wear those cheap 'wet shoes' when canoeing and speedo shorts so I dont have to be concerned getting a bit wet when entering/leaving the canoe.

Umm yes i'd re-iterate that point... we forgot to put our bung in the first time we went out, and didn't realise until we got out that we had several pints of water in the canoe and half a pond's worth of pondweed! (which by the way is devilish to remove)

I did actually buy 2 skegs, but as I was dashing out of the house only had time to think that I could use wooden spoon from kitchen to act as a dowel. Ill be off to tesco/asda to buy another cheap wooden spoon to give the 2 skeg approach 'a go', but have been happy that the 1 skeg has seemed to solve the problem, however 2 skegs may allow me to indian paddle on left hand side whereI cant at the moment as that is where the 1 skeg only would be (see previous post for explanation)??
    I'm so confused... we have a 2008 colorado. does the 2007 version have attachments for TWO skegs? as far as i have noticed there is only a place for one skeg on ours....

Default skeg explanation

Quote Originally Posted by first-splash View Post
    Umm yes i'd re-iterate that point... we forgot to put our bung in the first time we went out, and didn't realise until we got out that we had several pints of water in the canoe and half a pond's worth of pondweed! (which by the way is devilish to remove)

I'm so confused... we have a 2008 colorado. does the 2007 version have attachments for TWO skegs? as far as i have noticed there is only a place for one skeg on ours....
    Hi First Splash
    Just to clarifythe 2007 version doesnt have a detachable skeg which fits on the bottom of the canoe.

Both 2007 and 2008 models have fittings for a demountable electic motor which runs from a battery. These fittings are alongside the rear seat on either side of the outer of the canoe. Now instead of using these fittings for the electric motor some users have found out that you can actually use a skeg from another Sevylor model and attach it to these motor mountings which is what I have done and other users have done also. This is the video I 'learnt' from.

http://nstdvd.com/forager/videos/rio..._skeg_demo.wmv

Feel free to ask further questions

Journal Entries

Hi Tig

I always take 2 small towels with me so I can wipe canoe dry when finished. I also take a dry bag with me which allows me to fit in 2 detachable kayak paddles, boyancy aids, the 2 wet towels, mesh bag. On one occasion after doing the 9 miles down river wyre it was easy to phone a taxi to take me back with just the couple of bags, rather than having hands full of bits and pieces.

Oh and it did come in useful when stopping off at pub across Lake Windermere where I was able to park canoe in beer garden, dry feet with towel, put on training shoes and pick up a couple of pints. So consider taking alternate footwear. I actually wear those cheap 'wet shoes' when canoeing and speedo shorts so I dont have to be concerned getting a bit wet when entering/leaving the canoe.
    Not tried skegs on mine yet but when the bow paddler is left to their own devices it usually ends up in foliage Paddling from the back seems straight enough with kk paddles
    Last edited by Tig; 23rd-September-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Edit: Leaving my existing post just to remind people to read the question before answering and looking like a tit :)

Default This link should work

Default One person paddling

Not tried skegs on mine yet but when the bow paddler is left to their own devices it usually ends up in foliage Paddling from the back seems straight enough with kk paddles
    I agree, when I paddle on my own kayak style the canoe keeps straight. When misses joins in we tend to be all over the place even though im trying to straighten the boat out. I can feel that the canoe is going to go out of alignment so I try and compensate by varying my own stroke by strength, missing out strokes, or using my paddle as a rudder. Please note all the above is without a skeg in place.

I may do a little bit of this with new skeg attached, but it is much much less!!!

Has anyone got decent photos/links of the trolling - motor attached ta

Quote Originally Posted by dirty View Post
    Has anyone got decent photos/links of the trolling - motor attached ta
    This isn't my colorado, but these photo should show how the trolling motor is fitted.

This is the skeg from a Sevylor ranger fitted to the opposite side to the motor to help with tracking.

Zero

Ta for the prompt reply - is the skeg really worth fitting? And which battery (make/model) is recommended?
    Will post some (tedious for some) photos of my bastardised army rucksack frame (still available) and ratchet + straps for slogging or portage ooh off to more remote start points

We received our 2009 Colorado from Adventure Supplies the week before last and my husband took it out on the River Leam with me and the kids in a solid canadian canoe. We found that the Sevylor was incredibly manouverable and actually ok to paddle in a straight line with a canoe paddle on one side if you got your paddle down right beside the boat and did an accurate J-stroke. All in all we are pretty impressed with the 2009 version - I agree with Tig about the drain plug - luckily I noticed (on the river) and closed it. We used a stirrup pump to inflate it and there were no problems with it deflating. Its great to paddle kneeling but a wee tad small for tandem use. All in all good fun!

Sue

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Exclamation Just bought a Hudson KCC360

hi all,
    this is my first post on here. As mentioned above I just bought the 3-seater Hudson. I am a total newbie when it comes to canoeing. Anyway, what really gets to me after spending nearly 400 on the canoe, two kayak paddles and a life jacket for our 5 year old daughter, is the fact that the instruction with the canoe aren't exactly what a first time buyer \ beginner would expect. So far I have pumped up the sides (took 3mins 40 secs) and messed about with the seats a bit. We are hoping to take it out for the first time this weekend (Kielder or Derwent res, or the lakes somewhere - what is the crack on the Derwent reservoir?)
    Has any of you got a 3-seater? And wants to pass on some advice for a family? I am very,very safety conscious and would be grateful for some hints!
    THanks in advance

Hi there Sundowner,

My limited experience of inflatables is that they are incredibly stable - even if you pack them full of small kids on some very shallow water - as long as it floats they are happy! Our Colorado is also pretty good in windy conditions. If you have kayak paddles then it should be straightforward to paddle. When I first took my kids out in the boat I was worried about them tipping out but they haven't managed it yet!

I think the main thing is to ensure that the buoyancy aids are on and done up snug and you have changes of clothes for them, jumpers, waterproofs etc - a dry bag is a must. Our Colorado tends to get wet inside so legs generally get wet. And ensure that car keys, phones etc are in a dry bag of some sort - should you manage to get wet (unlikely).

I don't know the deal regarding the lakes that you are planning on paddling - maybe there is some stuff in the 'Places' bit of the forum? Enjoy your paddle - my kids love it, especially the Sevylor!

Best wishes,
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by mangy mutt View Post
    Hi there Sundowner,

My limited experience of inflatables is that they are incredibly stable - even if you pack them full of small kids on some very shallow water - as long as it floats they are happy! Our Colorado is also pretty good in windy conditions. If you have kayak paddles then it should be straightforward to paddle. When I first took my kids out in the boat I was worried about them tipping out but they haven't managed it yet!

I think the main thing is to ensure that the buoyancy aids are on and done up snug and you have changes of clothes for them, jumpers, waterproofs etc - a dry bag is a must. Our Colorado tends to get wet inside so legs generally get wet. And ensure that car keys, phones etc are in a dry bag of some sort - should you manage to get wet (unlikely).

I don't know the deal regarding the lakes that you are planning on paddling - maybe there is some stuff in the 'Places' bit of the forum? Enjoy your paddle - my kids love it, especially the Sevylor!

Best wishes,
    Sue
    Many thanks for that Sue, this is one of the reasons I joined here, to be able to "talk" to other parents? As I am very safety conscious I felt it best to see what other parents are suggesting? Now I am desperately looking to get to grips with this "grading" of rivers. SO far I haven't found anything I can use! ANy ideas?
    Thanks again
    Ingo

Journal Entries

This http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/grades.htm explains gradings of rivers (I think you will want grade 1 to begin with )
    ---
    This idiot got Redbaron into canoeing

Our Colarado in Action (minus the seats)

On Lake Bala (Llyn Tegid)

...and on moving water again.

All in all a nice little boat to play with!

Hi Ingo,

Yes, Tig's link is a good one. The only comment that I would make is get used to Grade I/II rivers before you take your family out on them, and be aware that water levels can affect the grading immensely. I am a novice myself (only paddled a canoe for the first time a few weeks ago) and have already come unstuck but I would never have inflicted this on my kids so I am trying to get training to get competent! Also check the capability of your boat and whether it is rigid enough - some boats are (supposedly) only flat water capable. The Colorado is supposed to manage Grade II/III - but I don't know about the boat you have.

Best wishes,
    Sue

Hi folks (Sue, MD and TIg)

Thank you so much for all your help so far, you are one heck of a helpful bunch. I am amazed at the friendliness in here (gotta stop now before I get emotional )

It just is soo reassuring !!! Can't wait til friday, saturday now ...... but we still haven't made up our minds where to go ..... Ullswater, kielder etc!
    thanks again
    Ingo

Hate to bang on about it but can anyone recommend a battery for the trolling motor please (brand or enough info so I can stroll into a shop & buy one)

Ta

hello!
    have any Sevylor colorado owners or any inflatable canoeists given their's a sea trial? I mean just paddling offshore, not crossing oceans!Or would sea going be a bit risky with the chance of being blown out to sea? I live in norfolk and am aware that there are some nast rips and currents due to the sand banks.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Fred

Hi

I have used mine off the beach in a slight swell. Fun, but as its slow, quite hard to paddle through waves. Once past the breakers (which were only a foot or so high!), it was very stable & apart from getting wet it was great. It is definitely not a proper sea craft though!

As the RNLI were doing displays further out, I felt nice & safe!

M

Hi
    we took our seadoo inflatable (same as colorado) on the sea in dorset and it was fine. Very stable and rides over the small waves well.

Just check on tides and winds. An onshore wind is fine, but strong winds blowing out to sea are a no no.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the replies! All the info on this thread is great and will help me make the right choice i'm sure, much appreciated.
    Fred

Even the dog likes it!

Gareth

Smile

Thanks for all these great posts with advice. we recently took our new colorado out for its first wetting and were fabulously impressed. no deflation problems, very stable -even with husband and daughter leaning over it when swimming trying to tip me up (very much failed to do so) I tried it kneeling up and paddling solo...went round in circles until a chap paddled past and kindly introduced me to 'the J stroke'. thanks a mil for that!

next stop a special holiday off Arisaig in Scotland to see how it does in the sea lochs (in 3 weeks time) CAN'T WAIT!!!

drying the canoe worked well hung over out over landing banisters for a night or 2.....better i think than a step ladder if one has a banister.

All in all very very pleased to be a sevylor colorado enthusiast!

Default Trolling Motor Battery

Been hiding in the wings for about a year now and bought a GREEN colorado on the back of the comments. Fantastic is all I can say! I would like to reiterate 'Dirty's comments about where we can purchace a battery for the Trolling motor, as I am thinking about getting the motor. Can anyone help pleeeeease!!!!!!

Dicky

Default damage to Colorado

We found the Colorado to be a great piece of kit. We've only used it a couple of times but one of the welds has split on the bottom.

The supplier (Adventuresupplies) has proved to be completely useless and so I made enquiries from other retailers and Sevylor themselves about the guarantee and/or repairing the split. They were also not of any help - all said they'd never heard of damage to bottom before.

Anybody know where to take it for a repair or where to buy a repair kit? The split is about 8 inches long.

The guarantee has variously been descibed to me by dealers as 3 months, no guarantee, 6 months, and a year. The 'manual' that came with the canoe only indicates that 'only the original owner is covered'.

Despite the problem we've had I would buy another. I really bought it because my daughter had got to that age when she and friends wanted to go off in the tender to our boat and I thought that an inflatable canoe would be good for going to get them when they couldn't start the outboard! However, we found the canoe to great fun.

Hi
    If the split weld is on the bottom tarp type material, then these guys may be able to repair or reweld it, as it is similar to the curtainsider lorry type material.

http://www.attwoolls.co.uk/index.php...d=47&Itemid=86

And they are in Gloucestershire.

worth a try.
    Good luck with it.
    Zero

My Colarado is waiting for me at home, brand new and never been pumped up. Really excited, will try it this weekend, not decided where yet. Really impressed with the pics of the colarado packed for camping. Will be "'aving some of that". Have had a pelican before but the transport and storage was a real pain although one day I will own a grumman. It was the input on these pages that encouraged me to take the plunge, wonder what is the longest days paddle anyone can report in an inflatable, any ideas?
    Last edited by Dusty Badger; 15th-May-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    don't listen to the wet guys in cool suits, listen to the cool guys in wet suits

Ahhh... it all becomes clear! Ref my "is the skeg really worth fitting?" post - as to using one with an electric motor. I imagine the reason nobody responded to my query was they were doubled over, wetting themselves laughing and unable to reach their keyboard. Yes a skeg IS really worth fitting as otherwise you'll spend a good half hour going in ever increasing circles or slewing your way at varying degrees in and off the norm. Thankfully I think I got away with it by making it appear that that was my actual loony plan (by dribbling and shouting random swearwords every 20 seconds)
    Dicky I'll let you know the batteries details after a good look/measure etc however - the lady I bought them off got them in Germany. Bit of net research should do it.

I don't really understand this, but, lately I don't even bother putting on the skeg onto our Sevylor Hudson ! Is it directionally more stable because it is longer?

"Der Hirsch springt hoch,
    Der Hirsch springt weit.
    Es macht ja nichts........
    Er hat ja Zeit"

Too true. Just canoe-paddling in the colerado was good enough - with a bit of tracking either way. Once the arms are warmed up you can get a reasonable speed up wind permitting - but unless it's me - as the motor is side-mounted & not balanced mid-way astern ooh I've got to balance the other side with a skeg I think

Default Colorado Repair

Thanks for that Zero. I've also been told to use Haywood repair tape and a friend is going to let me have a piece to try - I'll let you know if it's any good

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ruffian View Post
    We found the Colorado to be a great piece of kit. We've only used it a couple of times but one of the welds has split on the bottom.

The supplier (Adventuresupplies) has proved to be completely useless and so I made enquiries from other retailers and Sevylor themselves about the guarantee and/or repairing the split. They were also not of any help - all said they'd never heard of damage to bottom before.

Anybody know where to take it for a repair or where to buy a repair kit? The split is about 8 inches long.

The guarantee has variously been descibed to me by dealers as 3 months, no guarantee, 6 months, and a year. The 'manual' that came with the canoe only indicates that 'only the original owner is covered'.

Despite the problem we've had I would buy another. I really bought it because my daughter had got to that age when she and friends wanted to go off in the tender to our boat and I thought that an inflatable canoe would be good for going to get them when they couldn't start the outboard! However, we found the canoe to great fun.

The guarantee for a Covered sevylor Kayak is 12 months and uncovered (tahiti etc)9 months
    I am a dealer of sevylor and have had no problems with them honouring any of my warranty issues, i have also experienced the split seam on the bottom of Colorados That can split where the stitching goes off line send me a pic to ' rob at solelymarine dot co uk' and i will give you my opinion.
    did you speak to sevylor europe themselves regarding this or just sevylor uk

Default Colorado split

Thanks Grestini

I've emailed photos to you of the split and look forward to your comments. (I'd have put them here but I can't work out how to).

My feeling is that the Colorado is a great canoe and that I've been unlucky to get one with a manufacturing fault. Unfortunetly both Sevylor and the dealer have proven to be not at all interested in the problem - which is a sad let down.

Thanks

Richard

Default 12v Trolling Motor Battery

I finally got a battery for the Trolling motor from tinernet. Battery and Charger + delivery 43. HR1234WF2 CSB Battery 12v 9Ah
    The guy at Hardwarexpress was really helpful. The trolling motor should arrive on Tuesday and I'll get to use it at the weekend. I just have the standard colorado skeg, so I'll let you all know how I get on after our holiday.
    Thanks for trying, Dirty.

Dicky

Default Stirrup Pump

Can anybody recommend a good stirrup pump for blowing up a Colorado?

Is the sevylor one OK or is there a better one?

Thanks

Default edward

Lidl have a nice cheap one in at the moment. Or you could have a look around the local shops. Much cheaper than the dedicated suppliers.
    Edward

When I'm less broke this looks good - integral pressure dial would hopefully mean less dicking around with adaptors/valves & a few less bits to drop overboard

http://www.stearns-inflatables.co.uk...4503c4c05ee8ef

Default Differences between older and new Colorado

Just been comparing a 2007 Colorado with a 2009:

1. 2009 has a removable skeg; 2007 only the fixed ones
    2. 2007 appears to be very slightly bigger but I guess this might be because the material has stretched during use.
    3. 2007 has fittings for electric motor; 2009 does not
    4. The seat backs are shorter by about 3 inches on the 2009 making them less comfortable
    5. 2007 has the seat cushions in the canoe; 2009 the cushions are attached to the seats
    6. The 2007 has tensioning clips for pulling the seats back but they are missing on the 2009
    7. The handles are smaller on the 2009.
    8. The paddle clips are now just tape with velcro
    9. The 2007 is the same colour all round on the outer tubes; the 2009 is grey on the inside matching the grey floor
    On the water we felt the 2009 skeg did not make the Colorado go in a straight line any better than the 2007! Can't understand why the motor fittings have been omitted.

Default Air Pump

Quote Originally Posted by dirty View Post
    When I'm less broke this looks good - integral pressure dial would hopefully mean less dicking around with adaptors/valves & a few less bits to drop overboard

http://www.stearns-inflatables.co.uk...4503c4c05ee8ef
    I see they also make a even bigger one at 10 litres. I agree the inbuilt pressure guage would make things a lot easier.

We discovered today that once the pressure is above about 100mb the floor and seat valves close themselves when the inflator is removed - as long as you're not touching them making it a lot easier to use the guage that Sevylor supply.

Default Single paddle

Can anyone make the Colorado go straight with just one canoe paddle? I just seem to spin! I'm OK with a Kayak paddle and it's fine with 2 people paddling with canoe paddles.

Am I wasting my time trying to go straight or is it simply that I'm doing the J stroke wrong and need a lot more practice or some tuition?

Default spin me right round

Hi
    after having my brand new colarado for about two weeks I finally got round to using it today. Took it down the chelmer from paper mill lock to ulting church. Really pleased, with daughter in front and kayak paddles we made great progress, steered very well, easiest thing ever to portage, carried all the picnic stuff, five wetsuits, dry clothes and a jack russell called Oddball. Got to Ulting church and had great fun with the three children and wife jumping out and clambering in, it really is so stable. Eventually tried to canoe it on my own, it must have turned into a coracle while I wasn't looking. Even the most gentle power stroke with the most pronounced J kick resulted in me facing 60% back where I was trying to leave. Will keep trying but am not holding my breath. Other than that the convenience and versatility have really impressed me today and we all had a really great paddle/swim session.
    don't listen to the wet guys in cool suits, listen to the cool guys in wet suits

Default Under pressure

Hi Folks.
    Has anyone tried the Stearns Pressure gauge? And does it really work while a pump is connected? I have seen them advertised and would definitely get one if they do. It would make setting up MUCH easier.
    On the subject of pumps I much prefer the stirrup type and the one I got from Lidl for a fiver is great. You can reverse the pipe to deflate the canoe so it is easier to pack. I have seen quite a few other stores doing similar ones.
    Incidentally a friend has a Stearns Spree 1. and it is a very nice kayak, light,
    (lighter than my Colorado), sturdy and a pleasure to use.
    Edward

47. Default replacement skeg?

Has anyone found a vendor that sells the replacement skeg for the Colorado? I lost mine and I can only seem to find skegs for the tahiti. I have seen the wmv someone posted with how to attach the tahiti skeg to a rio, but... I'd much rather buy the official one.

Any help appreciated... or last ditch, mill one out of wood myself.

Journal Entries

---
    This idiot got Redbaron into canoeing

49. Default

Tig you are a legend! ...That might just save a trip I have planned for (and of course lost my skeg right before!)

Just emailed the company to see if they can ship to where I am fast enough.

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by protocoldoug View Post
    Has anyone found a vendor that sells the replacement skeg for the Colorado? I lost mine and I can only seem to find skegs for the tahiti. I have seen the wmv someone posted with how to attach the tahiti skeg to a rio, but... I'd much rather buy the official one.

Any help appreciated... or last ditch, mill one out of wood myself.
    If you've got a Colorado with a red skeg then you won't have the outboard fittings on it and so you can't fit a tahiti skeg anyway.

You could try towing a rope, from the stern of the canoe, behind you. This will keep you straighter. Add a rag or bottle to the end to make it more effective (or a decoy duck if you've got kids with you)

On the water we felt the 2009 skeg did not make the Colorado go in a straight line any better than the 2007!

Just noticed that the built in skegs on the 2007 Colorado are much bigger than on the 2009 - so I guess that's why both models track the same.

My '08 Colorado has a red skeg & outboard fittings.

After a lot of practice, I can j-stroke quite well when solo paddling so it is possible if you stick with it. Its very slow, but a lot less wet than the kayak paddle. Without the skeg its a nightmare though!

Can anyone make the Colorado go straight with just one canoe paddle? I just seem to spin! I'm OK with a Kayak paddle and it's fine with 2 people paddling with canoe paddles.

Am I wasting my time trying to go straight or is it simply that I'm doing the J stroke wrong and need a lot more practice or some tuition?
    Yes Paddle needs to be vertical and very close to the side of the boat, otherwise as you have found out it spins a bit! I paddle ours sols and kneeling using the seat reversed with the back layed flat to kneel on.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDaze View Post
    Yes Paddle needs to be vertical and very close to the side of the boat, otherwise as you have found out it spins a bit! I paddle ours sols and kneeling using the seat reversed with the back layed flat to kneel on.
    Hi Thanks for that - obviously I need more practice

From what you've described - 'laying the seat flat to kneel on' - does that mean that you are further forward than the normal seating position? If so, do you deflate the cushion?

From what you've described - 'laying the seat flat to kneel on' - does that mean that you are further forward than the normal seating position? If so, do you deflate the cushion?
    I move the seat so it is about central. I have it inflated as it makes it easier on the ankles. By laying it flat I meant I push the seat back flat to the floor in front of me. Sometimes I leave the seat out. Makes little difference really.

In terms of paddles position you really need to concentrate on getting it vertical and as close to the boat as possible, almost so the blade is half under the gunwale. Your J stroke should then work well.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDaze View Post
    I move the seat so it is about central. I have it inflated as it makes it easier on the ankles. By laying it flat I meant I push the seat back flat to the floor in front of me. Sometimes I leave the seat out. Makes little difference really.

In terms of paddles position you really need to concentrate on getting it vertical and as close to the boat as possible, almost so the blade is half under the gunwale. Your J stroke should then work well.
    Thanks for that. I'll give it another try

57. Default Drain Plug Leaking

Quote Originally Posted by mangy mutt View Post
    We received our 2009 Colorado from Adventure Supplies the week before last and my husband took it out on the River Leam with me and the kids in a solid canadian canoe. We found that the Sevylor was incredibly manouverable and actually ok to paddle in a straight line with a canoe paddle on one side if you got your paddle down right beside the boat and did an accurate J-stroke. All in all we are pretty impressed with the 2009 version - I agree with Tig about the drain plug - luckily I noticed (on the river) and closed it. We used a stirrup pump to inflate it and there were no problems with it deflating. Its great to paddle kneeling but a wee tad small for tandem use. All in all good fun!

Sue
    I have a 2009 version Sevylor Colorado and having suspicions about the amount of water in my boat I tested the drain plug in some water and discovered that when submerged it does leak! As the plug is supposed to be above the waterline is this an unfair test although I would have assumed that any obvious weakpoint such as the drainplug should be watertight? I was told by the supplier that the plug is self bailing so does this mean that it should not be watertight? No information about the drain plug in the instructions! As the rest of the boat is great I really dont want to return it and I am hoping that the fact I was using it in the sea with waves etc is the only reason this is leaking?

I once forgot to put the plug in. I still floated, but was awash with water quite quickly, don't see how it could possible self-bail!

I get a surprising amount of water just from paddling (with kayak paddle), enough so that after an hour or two there is quite a lot sloshing around down there, maybe even a pint of liquid by the end of a trip.

59. Default

Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe the amount of water in the canoe is due to paddling, I am not sure. I was just surprised that the drain plug let in water when I tested it on land - surely that cannot be right? I am tempted simply to put some gaffer tape or something similar over the drain plug when using it in the sea as most people do not seem to use it in the sea as I do so maybe that is the problem! Maybe I should see how much water I get in the canoe in fresh and calm water!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarboro View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe the amount of water in the canoe is due to paddling, I am not sure. I was just surprised that the drain plug let in water when I tested it on land - surely that cannot be right? I am tempted simply to put some gaffer tape or something similar over the drain plug when using it in the sea as most people do not seem to use it in the sea as I do so maybe that is the problem! Maybe I should see how much water I get in the canoe in fresh and calm water!
    Although Sevylor describe it as 'self draining' I've always taken this to be an error in translation/understanding and that what they meant was that if you were swamped then the majority of the water would empty out of the plug hole (assuming the plug was removed) as the canoe is essentially very buoyant. Imagine trying to fill a Colorado up by using a bucket to flood it with water - if the bung were open the canoe would drain quickly. Compare this to doing the same to a 'normal' canoe where there isn't a plug or the inherent buoyancy.

I normally have used the Colorado on flat water and have kept the bung in. The plug on my Colorado is a tight fit in the hole and I've never suspected water of coming in. Try a little vaseline around the plug - that should cure any leak.

I might open the bung and then get the kids to try to fill up the Colorado with water using a bucket one sunny weekend.... It would give me time to read the paper!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast