Thread: Some Beginner questions about setting up canoe and rigging Expedition 35 High Spec

Default Some Beginner questions about setting up canoe and rigging Expedition 35 High Spec

I have several questions about setting up my canoe. Not having someone else's boat to look over, I will ask you to help me.

1. I have the SD rudder. What is a 'rule of thumb' or suggestion for placement of the cleats for the uphaul and downhaul lines of the rudder?

2. I have purchased two of the 10 inch x 41 inch bouyancy bags. Any suggestions on placement of the D-rings for straps for attaching the bouyancy bags. Should the D-ring be glued onto the side of the canoe? the 'floor' of the canoe?
    Are two straps per bag sufficient?

3. Rigging the Expedition 35 High Spec.
    a) There are two 'eyes' on the yard. When do I use the 'upper' eye? When do I use the 'lower' eye?
    b) SD website describes reefing the 35 High Spec, and says to create a loop in the halyard that goes around the mast. Is this loop used to rig the sail, even if not reefing? or is the loop used only when reefing?

There was a video posted by one of you, that showed the rigging of the boat before before setting sail. It appeared that there was a loop in the halyard around the mast, but he loop was 'permanently' around the mast, and then the yard was attached by another rope? (the video was didn't dwell on this and I kept trying to see how it was rigged, but alas, I couldn't quite see)

Thanks for your help!

Hi tri-guy,
    I can help up to a point.
    In answer to question one, I screwed the cleats one on either side of my canoe just behind my sailing position screwed to the gunwales with stainless self tappers (my canoe has aluminium gunwales). This has been fine in use and to my mind is the logical place to put them (I imagine you could mount them on your seat somewhere if you can't screw into the gunwales).
    Question two, I glued D rings to the floor of the canoe to hold the bags down and also used stainless steel "P clips" mounted under the gunwales to pull them in to the side of the boat (I was able to use the existing bolts which secured my mast thwart and centre/carrying yoke to attach the P clips but if these were in the wrong place in your canoe you could always rivet or screw clips to the gunwales). This has held the airbags really securely in my canoe. Two straps per bag should be fine. It's worth ensuring that the airbags aren't in the way of your normal paddling position, I mounted mine slightly forwards so that I could kneel close under the gunwale when paddling and that worked well for both paddling and in a capsize scenario (although it meant I couldn't hook my back foot under the airbag while hiking out like some folks do so I made some toe straps instead).
    Question three, I have the "prototype" High Spec rig (ie Solway Dory made the first reefing rig for me by adding reefing points to my existing 35sq ft Expedition Rig after I pestered them as I felt I needed the ability to reef). This means that my rig (which is the one in the video you mention) is different from the later production versions and only has one eye on the yard (hence the "other rope" you refer to which was my innovation that Solway Dory chose not to copy on the production version). Unfortunately this means I can't answer your question about the two eyes on the yard, I've seen others with a rig like this but have never figured out how it works (not that I tried particularly hard since it didn't apply to my rig). I'm sure Dave S will be along shortly to solve the "Mystery of the second eye"! Hope that's some help to you.
    Last edited by Jurassic; 8th-May-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Omissions

The two eyes work to hold the sail and yard to the mast even when it is set lower down when reefed. The halyard goes through the top fitting, around the back of the mast and then ties off to the bottom fitting. This loop holds the yard tight to the mast when the halyard is tightened. When the halyard is slackened the loop goes slack and allows the yard to easily come down.
    Hope that makes sense. I haven't updated the photos on the website yet.

Thank you. The picture is worth a thousand words.