Thread: Vango Halo 200 Tent

Default Vango Halo 200 Tent

Well, I received the Halo 200 yesterday, and pitched it in the communal garden to the amusement of the neighbours.

What I wanted was a small 2 man tent which was freestanding, for those river or lakeside beaches where you can't get solid pegs in. I also wanted a large porch, ideally to the side of the sleeping area rather than the end. It was a bonus that the Halo has 2 porches, once on each side. And I wanted it to be green, and cheap! (ish) In the end, it was 99, from http://www.tents4less.co.uk who were excellent - it arrived within a day, no postal charge.

Here's my first impressions.

Instructions.

Very simple to follow, and sewn into bag in case your memory is poor.

The tent is a 3-pole dome, but is slightly unusual in its pole configuration which improves the stability. The outer goes up very quickly. All poles are the same length, so just push them through and then bend into place. You then tighten straps at the bottom of the poles to pull it all taut, and clip the lower tent to the pole.

You then peg out the tent, and the guys. The latter are quite clever, as they are designed to equalise tension to 2 points on the pole

Next you clip the inner in. This hangs from short elastics hooking into little plastic clips. I found these quite fiddly, but in theory you can leave the inner in when you take it down.

And that's it. Probably 10mins with practice. It is pretty stable, not quite up with a full geodesic tent, and it needs its guy lines, but plenty good enough for low level UK all year round.

Once the inner was in, I did a good inspection. There is a good amount of ventilation from specific vents in the inner and outer, plus a half-circle on the door.

Features include plenty of pockets

The inner doors simply tuck out of the way into big pouches - no fiddly clips here. The outer door ties back with more traditional toggles.

The main zip pulls have handy loops

The main reason I bought this tent was because of the porch layout, which is large, and opens to either side as you lie in the tent.

This opens up the possibility of brewing up from the sleeping bag (with care and the outer door open). Maybe not with the Kelly Kettle though!

The porch also has its own half groundsheet. These are neat, but when clipped in they are too close to the outer, and actually protrude if you're careless or the wind blows. This turns then from useful into useless, as they just catch water and puddle in the porch as found by SOTP's Davy90 the other week.

Its 3.55kg and the bag isn't tiny, but nor is it large. It went back in reasonably easily.

The pegs are reasonably good

So, at this stage I'm pretty pleased. It seems stable, large and has some nice features. We'll see how it performs this weekend in the Wye Valley.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I bought a Halo 300 for the same reasons as you after a recommendation from Retro. It's been used a few times now when out with my son and I'm very pleased with it. I changed the pegs for aluminium Y pegs, and got a new, oversized tent bag from Alpkit to avoid the hassle of trying to force a wet tent into a just big enough bag.
    Cheers, Michael.

Brute Force and Ignorance is Vastly Underrated.

"There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
    -Sigurd Olson

Similar porch layout to the Karrimor Beta, which I think is a great little tent.

The Cumbrian wrote:
    ...and got a new, oversized tent bag from Alpkit to avoid the hassle of trying to force a wet tent into a just big enough bag.
    I've been thinking of doing this. Which one did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cumbrian. View Post
    I bought a Halo 300 for the same reasons as you after a recommendation from Retro. It's been used a few times now when out with my son and I'm very pleased with it. I changed the pegs for aluminium Y pegs, and got a new, oversized tent bag from Alpkit to avoid the hassle of trying to force a wet tent into a just big enough bag.

Likewise - Retro should get commission!

I've used it for two trips now, like it but as you say, its a bit of a squeeze to get it back in the bag even dry..

I took out the inner the other day to dry it after our Wye trip (packed damp with a bit of condensation inside of the outer) and found it pretty straightforward to snap and unsnap the catches between inner and fly sheet - perhaps I'm used to something even more fiddly...

Pro's: Ease of pitching, plenty of useful storage pockets inside, fuss free stowage of the inner door, roomy porch, plenty of space, its green, good value, fittings seem chunky and look like they will last.

Con's: Porch ground sheets need a bit more thought (didn't bother with them for the last trip) unless I'm being a bit dim with their set up, the inner is exposed to water drips when the door is fully opened, it's no lightweight.

I like it and combined with a tarp it makes for plenty of shelter for two adults, 2 kids under 5 and a small dog.

A

I've now used it for two weekends on the trot. Basically, its great! Very nice to be able to lie in the tent with the doors open looking out over sunlit meadows & orchards whilst the coffee brews.

The ease of pitching is excellent, and the whole thing is very stable once guyed.

I was expecting lots of condensation, but its not been that bad, certainly no worse than my last geodesic tent. Mind you, I don't have wife, 2 sprogs & a dog in there with me! I'm still not convinced that
    combined with a tarp it makes for plenty of shelter for two adults, 2 kids under 5 and a small dog
    , even on the 300!!! I could easily sleep 2 in my smaller one, but virtually ALL kit would be in the porches and I like to keep clothing etc in the inner if poss.

Ade, maybe your "catch" system is different between inner & outer - mine is simply a loop of elastic over a hook with a tight lip to hold it in place, not "catches", unless that's what you mean. You can see it in the photos above. Tends to twist away from me under my fingers when I try to unhook it, and then snaps back at me once I finally get it loose! It may well be that I'm just a bit rubbish! Anyway, I haven't needed to remove the inner as amazingly I've been able to take it down pretty well dry each time!

As for the porch groundsheets, well yes, they're a bit poorly designed. I still used them, but only clipped them to the attachment at the corner of the inner tent, not to the one at the "point" of the porch. I could then pull them slightly under the main groundsheet and they worked fine. But are actually fairly pointless unless the ground is very wet when you pitch, I guess.

Everybody is right about the bag! Just a bit too tight. I guess this is useful if packing in a backpack, but is unnecessarily small for car or canoe use. Its slightly easier when you separate out the inner & outer, makes it simpler to get a neat roll I think.

Anyway, definitely recommended, especially if you can get it at a good price.

We didn't have much kit in the tent. Most of it was under the tarp and at night the clothes in drybags became pillows. The front porch took all the wellies and boots easily. It was pretty snug in there but it wasn't cramped, we use 3 thermarest type things side by side which covers most of the tent floor and we all fit in 4 in a row with the kids in the middle and the dog by the kids' feet. As the boys get bigger, it will get a bit tighter in there and they will have to sleep feet to feet - which will be interesting to enforce... and then we'll probably use the other tent as well..

The inner tent catches are like yours, I must have used a different technique (probably less careful) as they didn't put up much resistance.

Re the condensation, it wasn't bad at all but when we took the tent down that cold/wet morning and put it away what little moisture that was on the inside of the fly got transferred to the inner which we left in place. It seems big enough for the fly and inner not to touch even with all of us kipping in there.

A

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    The Cumbrian wrote:

I've been thinking of doing this. Which one did you get?
    What is this magical bag that will swallow the Halo 300?

I've been trying to sell a 300 with no luck but now I'm thinking I may as well keep it. Getting the tent back in the back is a pain in the backside; even inside the house, it's tricky trying to figure out how to roll it up as small as possible.

Cheers, Michael.

Brute Force and Ignorance is Vastly Underrated.

"There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
    -Sigurd Olson

Quote Originally Posted by Davy 90 View Post
    Likewise - Retro should get commission!

I wish! Glad you folk I have recommended too are pleased.

The halo does seem like a favourite amongst canoeist think mines around three years old now and as I said before it gets used for when Mrs Retro and the dog come wild camping or its just a quick weekend away. Used ours four days in Wales the other week and it's still a great tent for the money.

I would agree the ground sheets in the porch are just a bit unnecessary and set up with a tarp it makes a comfortable base camp.

Base camping on the Dyfi Estuary a couple of weeks ago.

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Really like these and the slightly newer design of the chinook 200 and 300. Pic of mine, will stand unpegged as supported due to banding for the porch running the other way. Useful for sandy or very hard campsites.

And below with no pegs, showing a bit more of the interior - looks 99% same as Halo internally !!

Last edited by bushcraft paddler; 17th-May-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

I liked the look of the Chinook, with a slightly lighter weight and being more stable in tough weather, but couldn't justify double the price for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I liked the look of the Chinook, with a slightly lighter weight and being more stable in tough weather, but couldn't justify double the price for it.
    Totally agree, but with a bit of Internet hunting and 10% price match promise from the likes of go-outdoors mine was a very similar price

No doubt, but my Halo was under a ton...

Sad I know, but I am a bit OCD with kit, I always write the number of pegs on the bag label, so I know how many to count back in when striking camp !!

I'll fetch my coat

No doubt, but my Halo was under a ton...
    You win, I think I paid 130 for mine, with go-outdoors pricematch. Sorry to hijack, great review - just wanted others to see options when they use the thread to compare options...

Good call, as I'm already counting one less back in than I was 2 weeks back!!!!

Luckily I have LOADS of spare pegs..

All this Halo love has made me decide to keep mine - must find a bigger bag though!

Just collected a grounsheet protector / footprint for mine from tentspares.co.uk or whatever they are called. Anyway if anyone is interested he would do us a group buy on Chinooks and Halo's. Dont need large amounts to get it going - but the more the merrier ...

Anyone ?
    Last edited by bushcraft paddler; 18th-May-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: can't type !

Vango are very good with their customer service, a mate hacked a big hole in his digging it out of a deep snow drift. Vango did a very good repair for little cost. I own 2 Vango tents and love them.

Did you know? Vango tents started in Govan Glasgow hence the name (go van)

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft paddler View Post
    Just collected a grounsheet protector / footprint for mine from tentspares.co.uk or whatever they are called. Anyway if anyone is interested he would do us a group buy on Chinooks and Halo's. Dont need large amounts to get it going - but the more the merrier ...

Anyone ?

I could be interested in a footprint for a Halo 200 depending on price.

I've been so impressed with this tent my much more expensive Hilleberg Nalo 4 is hardly getting used.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft paddler View Post

Anyone ?
    There a good buy, I think for the 300 there 9x9ft I bought one shortly after I got my halo it comes in its own bag that's even smaller than the tent bag!

I've asked Pete at tent spares to get me some prices...

May take him a few days, but I will report back as soon as I hear anything - just need to avoid breaking any forum rules now !