Thread: Dagger Phantom

Default Dagger Phantom

Maker's Spec

Length: 9' 10" (3m)
    Beam: 28.5" / 27.5" (72 / 70cm)
    Weight (vinyl / wood): 40 / 38lbs (18.1 / 17.2kg)
    Depth (cnt / end): 15" / 15.5" (38 / 39cm)
    Rocker (bow / stern): 4.5" / 4.5" (11 / 11cm)6"
    Free Board: 425lbs (193kg)

Maker's Write Up
    Shortest, most maneuverable Royelex® canoe available • aggressive river-runner and creeking canoe • great hull speed • full-flared bow rides over waves, keeps you dry and doesn’t dig in while surfing • symmetrical hull with semi-hard chines for predictable handling and edging control • light weight, narrow beam and short length make it ideal for smaller, lighter paddlers

Does anybody know this boat? I was offered one and shall have to decide on Saturday... Oh, such a tiny little boat! Please anyone help me in my decision!
    Axel
    P A D D E L B L O G______________Bunděn er bŕtlaus mađur (Bound is boatless man)

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

Well, in the end I bought the boat considering that I could sell it if I can't handle it. Well, as jet I haven't learned to handle it propperly I will not sell it anyway. I intend to "grow" into it...

"Growing" is one keyword: you shouldn't be too large to paddle this boat - it is meant for smaller people (and obviously prefered by women). It is short and tipsy (even compared to other whitewater-canoes which necessarily are tipsy). When leaned there is no constucted adjournment warning you not to go on with leaning out as in other boats - there comes a point when the boat simply turns over. Several trained canoeists from my club capsized within the first few seconds even in the swimming pool. On the other hand this boat turns on a dime and surfs any wave (almost). It is constructed as to boost meeting any wave - the waterline is long compared to the over-all-shortness of the boat (thus it glides comparably good).

Well I will have to learn a lot to come to grips with this tiny little boat but it seems worth the effort.

Axel
    P A D D E L B L O G______________Bunděn er bŕtlaus mađur (Bound is boatless man)

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

Probably a bit queer to review boats that are no longer in production but now, that I almost entirely use my little Phantom I can say a little more about the boat.

First the shortcomings: It is slow. Thats a pitty as it is quite difficult to exit an eddie in order to reach the higher water level or to enter a standing wave from below.

When it comes to standing waves the pleasures this boat has to offer beginn: you can surf almost any wave in this boat. The blunt tip keeps water out of the boat and the short hul alows surfing even on tiny small waves. Well, being a beginner still I am not so much fond of surfing as I am always afraid of the end of the process - will I be washed out or will I manage to exit the wave decently?

I rather like ferry-gliding below the wave and this is what the Phantom is made for too - if you find the right angle. For if you do not lean in the right angle the boat will capsize in parts of a second. Well it takes a number of capsizes to find out but then the fun sets in (and capsizing isn't that serious in summer anyway...).

I can compare the Phantom with my Outrage and have to admit that I feel really save in the Outrage while I still feel quite insecure in the shorter Phantom. Anyway - if I expect smaller streams and more obstacles in the water i choose the Phantom which is why it is much more in use these days than the Outrage.

Axel

PS: Did you notice Quentin on the Phantom? - I have to admit that this is not the appropriate spot to attach the otter - it is tortured there quite a lot...
    Last edited by floatingToolbox; 10th-September-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by floatingToolbox View Post
    Did you notice Quentin on the Phantom? - I have to admit that this is not the appropriate spot to attach the otter - it is tortured there quite a lot...
    This is how Quentin looks like today:

Axel (admitting that torturing Quentin in this manner can be real fun...)