Thread: Dagger Rival

Default Dagger Rival

Maker's Spec

Length: 12' 2" (3m 71cm)
    Beam: 28.5" / 27" (72 / 69cm)
    Weight (vinyl / wood): 44 / 41lbs (20 / 18.6kg)
    Depth (cnt / end): 15.5" / 16" (39 / 41cm)
    Rocker (bow / stern): 4.75" / 4" (12 / 10cm)6"
    Free Board: 620lbs (281kg)

Maker's Write Up
    Deep, asymmetrical hull for dryness, acceleration, speed and tracking excellent for smaller paddlers narrow beam for responsiveness soft chine for predictable handling differential bow and stern rocker increases speed while retaining maneuverability longer than the Ovation with a more aggressive hull than the Impulse best choice for performance on all volumes of water

Anyone got any views/comments on this boat. I've got plenty w/w experience but all of it a kayak so I pretty much a beginner. My main concern is that at 230lbs I'll be too heavy for it.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh View Post
    Anyone got any views/comments on this boat. I've got plenty w/w experience but all of it a kayak so I pretty much a beginner. My main concern is that at 230lbs I'll be too heavy for it.
    Hi Charlie.
    Not sure about the top end of that one it might be worth having a go of the Bankers if she still has it. It might also be worth considering the Outrage X as its a good boat for paddlers over 200lb.
    Mitch

We sold ours a while back but I reckon that you are too big/heavy for this boat.

Outrage would be one for your shortlist.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I think the Rival could handle 230#, but not with a bunch of added gear. Maybe some of you know that the Rival is made in vacuum-bagged S-glass outside, Kevlar inside, by Kaz of millbrookboats.com. Kaz might have an opinion on the weight issue. The composite Rival is much lighter than the Royalex/Royalite versions. I have two Millbrook composite boats, and they are surprisingly sturdy, but one should expect an occasional repair.

Found one, review says 'lighter paddler' I'm 54 kg is this going to work?
    Can we go paddling?

Quote Originally Posted by gp.girl View Post
    Found one, review says 'lighter paddler' I'm 54 kg is this going to work?
    At 8.5 stone you're perhaps pretty "average" for an active, outdoorsy adult female in good enough shape to be wanting to throw a canoe around all day on WW... but even at 9.5 stone, I'm generally viewed as a "lighter paddler" in the canoeing world... which (sadly) has a pretty poor track record when it comes to boats for women / teens / smaller blokes.

The Rival might not be ideal, but it should work better for you than most alternatives.

I had one for a while and found it just fine ( my knees didn't like the permanent position so I sold it.
    I was 13+ stone at the time and it a good size for me.
    nature is m X-box