Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 181 to 202 of 202

Thread: New Firebox

  1. #181

    Default

    The system won't let me PM you until I have made three posts. This is number 2.

  2. #182

    Default

    This post number threeeeeeeee.

  3. #183

    Default

    Very impressed with my firebox, thanks
    The top plate is good if you have a ghillie kettle as it funnels the heat (I think?) and will boil the water faster, I don't have a ghillie, so didn't bother

    Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

  4. Default

    Like Dave MP above me, I have to put three posts before I can send you a private message. This is number one! Sorry I feel like I am spamming this place.

  5. Default

    I first saw these fireboxes curtsey of Mr Fox over at the GBBG, I didnt have the money at first so I scrolled past, but now I do I think It will make a great addition to my kit. Number two (Please dont hate me!)

  6. Default

    I really do hope you still make these, I dont know anybody else that does anything similar. Threeee!

  7. #187

    Default

    He's still got some I think, but doesn't come on here that often, love mine, sid me well at the open canoe association weekend

    Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    4,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1jack1pike View Post
    I really do hope you still make these, I dont know anybody else that does anything similar. Threeee!
    I've dropped him a message on facebook for you.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Firebox are still available though I am making them to order at the moment which means a lead time of 7 to 10 days.

    The large firebox measures 374 x 220 x 160mm and is made from 1.5mm stainless steel,
    Large firebox in 1.5mm stainless steel.................53.00 + UK postage = 63.50
    Large firebox in 1.5mm stainless with top plate....67.00 + UK postage = 77.50

    The small firebox measures 220 x 220 x 160mm and is made from 1.2mm stainless steel.
    Small firebox in 1.2mm stainless steel.................44.00 + UK postage = 54.50
    Small firebox in 1.2mm stainless with top plate....57.00 + UK postage = 67.50

    Jon.
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

  10. #190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jondavy View Post
    Firebox are still available though I am making them to order at the moment which means a lead time of 7 to 10 days.

    The large firebox measures 374 x 220 x 160mm and is made from 1.5mm stainless steel,
    Large firebox in 1.5mm stainless steel.................53.00 + UK postage = 63.50
    Large firebox in 1.5mm stainless with top plate....67.00 + UK postage = 77.50

    The small firebox measures 220 x 220 x 160mm and is made from 1.2mm stainless steel.
    Small firebox in 1.2mm stainless steel.................44.00 + UK postage = 54.50
    Small firebox in 1.2mm stainless with top plate....57.00 + UK postage = 67.50

    Jon.
    Hi Jon could you post a pic of the large one with top plate and also the small one with top plate so as to get an idea of size difference visually showing key design point might well buy one from you cheers


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Exmouth, Devon, England
    Posts
    2,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripvanwinkle View Post
    Hi Jon could you post a pic of the large one with top plate and also the small one with top plate so as to get an idea of size difference visually showing key design point might well buy one from you cheers
    It takes some imagination, but this post shows the cutting plan for the two sizes: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...353#post440353

    I'm not sure whether Jon keeps boxes in stock to take photos, so maybe you could model the size from cardboard or wire to see the difference? In that post he says that it's just shorter - so I presume the same height and width.

    Hope that helps.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Luffenham, Rutland
    Posts
    260

    Default

    I have the large box on order, so will post pictures when it arrives.
    Welding and fabrication for forum members.

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kettering Northamptonshire
    Posts
    884

    Default

    I have had a large firebox for a couple of years now but initially I cooled it down by dunking it in the river; this appears to have buckled every panel.

    It can take 20 minutes to force it all together so I now keep it assembled and store stuff inside it in transit.

    Is there a way to flatten all the panels or am I stuck with my rather wavy firebox?
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    south doncaster
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    I have had a large firebox for a couple of years now but initially I cooled it down by dunking it in the river; this appears to have buckled every panel.

    It can take 20 minutes to force it all together so I now keep it assembled and store stuff inside it in transit.

    Is there a way to flatten all the panels or am I stuck with my rather wavy firebox?
    nature is m X-box

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claxton
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Double ditto! Still love it though.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

  16. #196
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Are you still doing the fireboxes JohnDavy? If you are I'd be interested in a large one with top plate. I've tried to PM you but your message box is full

  17. #197
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in responses, hadn't seen until now that my mailbox was full and hadn't been checking in regularly.

    dtalbot, yes I'm still doing the fireboxes but they are made to order at the moment so they take about 7 to 10 days, prices are still as above, I will PM you the details.

    broardsman, andym and patterdale paddler, I have found that if I need to straighten or adjust the panels a bit that gently bending them over a hard edge will help persuade the panels to straighten out, the trick is to bend it just a little (not try and fold it) and work either side of the area as well so as not to form a bend in one spot.


    Jon.
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

  18. #198
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kettering Northamptonshire
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jondavy View Post
    broardsman, andym and patterdale paddler, I have found that if I need to straighten or adjust the panels a bit that gently bending them over a hard edge will help persuade the panels to straighten out, the trick is to bend it just a little (not try and fold it) and work either side of the area as well so as not to form a bend in one spot.Jon.
    Thanks Jon - will give it a go - totally love the firebox anyway - Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

  19. #199
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claxton
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Cheers. I've only really tried standing on it when its flat packed and it just laughed at me. I'll give your method a go.

    Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

  20. #200
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western Lake District
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jondavy View Post
    broardsman, andym and patterdale paddler, I have found that if I need to straighten or adjust the panels a bit that gently bending them over a hard edge will help persuade the panels to straighten out, the trick is to bend it just a little (not try and fold it) and work either side of the area as well so as not to form a bend in one spot.
    I have used a rubber headed mallet to re-shape the panels. Not very subtle, but works.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

  21. #201
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claxton
    Posts
    512

    Default

    I had some fun with the kids at the weekend baking garlic bread and pizza in the firebox.






    I put some charcoal briquettes underneath a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil and then put more on the top plate.

    Worked really well!
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

  22. #202
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Exmouth, Devon, England
    Posts
    2,698

    Default

    Oh that looks sooo good!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •