Thread: Selway Fisher Prospector 15'8"

Default Selway Fisher Prospector 15'8"

Maker's Spec

Maker's Write Up
    This is the Selway Fisher version of an old favourite - the Prospector type open canoe. The original Prospectors were originally designed in Canada and known as the "workhorse of the North". They had to have a good carrying capacity for all of the Prospector's gear and they had to work well through white water and wilderness. The bow and stern are relatively full and she has good freeboard amidships to keep her crew dry. The well rockered keel line makes her highly maneuverable and the tumblehome in her topsides makes her both stable and easy to paddle. She is constructed using simple stitch and tape techniques and she has 5 planks per side giving her a well rounded and graceful appearance. LOA 15'8" (4.76m); Beam 2'11" (0.88m); Depth amidships 14.5" (0.36m); approx. weight 65 lbs. (30 kg).

Default nice to build

having built 8 of these,(pics of some in self build section,some have now been added to this post) i can recommend these as a good project for anyone who can follow the dead easy instructions.paul fisher of selway fisher design is always glad to listern to ideas and give advice.boat will carry around 750lb,one i built carried 3 guys whose combined weight is 55 stone,every weekend last summer on the tidal blackwater at maylandsea.i think that is testimony enough on the quality of the design.lol barry
    here is one i made earlier

Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-April-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add photographs

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Default Prospector Varnish

The exterior finish on this Prospector is lovely - but seems a bit darker than the inside?

I'm trying to find a tinted varnish - any advice please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    The exterior finish on this Prospector is lovely - but seems a bit darker than the inside?

I'm trying to find a tinted varnish - any advice please?

Thanks
    I would stain the wood before putting the resin on. That is what we did here.
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ht=storky+bird
    If you have already put your resin on I'm not sure what would be best, you might do well to ask in the self-build section of the forum.