Width: 94 cm / 37''
    Width gunwale: 91 cm / 36''
    Width waterline: 84 cm / 33''
    Depth: 36 cm / 14''
    Height bow: 47 cm / 18.5''
    Weight: 18 kg / 40 lbs
    Capacity: 310 kg / 680 lbs

Maker's Write Up
    This is the "classical" ALLY canoe, easy to maneuvre and with high stability. The keel-line is slightly arched which makes the canoe easy to maneuvre under all conditions, especially when paddling white water with technical difficulties. The canoe is made for 1-2 persons with gear, at the utmost 3 persons without gear. Large volume and high carrying capacity makes it suitable also as a family canoe. ALLY 15 DR is splendid for fishing and its low weight makes it perfect on trips with portage. A typical all-round canoe for those who paddle under changing conditions on plain water and in rivers.

Hello All, my name is Martijn and I'm new on the forum.
    Also very much new to paddling, though I've been on several day trips with a rented canoe.

Now I would like to buy a foldable Ally canoe for extended solo trips in Finland and Sweden and for many years to come.

What would be the best choice for mostly solo trips. The 15" DR "allround' or the 15,5" "Flatwater" ???

I have purchased the 15' DR. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the ice to melt

Hello Martijn,

You will not be disappointed with the Ally 15' DR as I've been a proud owner of one of these crafts for the last 7 years. I've taken her on planes, trains, taxis and buses which has enabled me to paddle some great locations (Poland, Finland, Belgium, and Scotland). She is starting to look a bit rough around the edges but is holding up pretty well considering what we've put her through. I hope your new Ally rewards you with many enjoyable trips.

Fred

Tamarack are now stocking the Ally boats, very tempting with the SOTP discount.

http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/Ally_Canoe.html
    Rich

Savanna, Illinois USA-on the banks of the Mississippi River

Quote Originally Posted by Fjalla View Post
    I have purchased the 15' DR. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the ice to melt
    Martijn

congrats on the purchase. I am anxious to see the photos of your new boat. I would like to see if you get a chance, some close ups of the fittings that show the guts so to speak.

So when does the ice melt in your area? Still staying well below freezing around here.
    Regards,
    Mike

Thanks, I will make a photo shoot of all the details at the first outing.
    I did put it together in the living room last Sunday, fitted just barely.
    Will post some pictures of that soon.

Actually, it is a little bit above freezing right now. At night a little below...
    But if the weather cooperates, there should be open water this weekend.

It can also start freezing again, you never know here

This thread needs a photo, as do many of the others where the link has been lost/removed.
    So Ally 15' DR

A cracking boat (IMHO).

Rob.

Hi,
    the canoe is useful as a solo? Is the canoe more fast or lazily in flat water?
    How the driving behavior changes with and without weight on board?
    Should I buy a better one 17DR when I paddle now and then with 2 children?
    Questions, questions ... Ally me an experienced owner would be able to help and want to
    THX!
    Cello

the canoe is useful as a solo?
    You can paddle is quite well as a solo especially when paddled on his edge.

Is the canoe more fast or lazily in flat water?
    not very fast , but emtpy is if very light so it can glide well.

How the driving behavior changes with and without weight on board?
    was is weight ? 2 people and light camping gear is no problem.

Should I buy a better one 17DR when I paddle now and then with 2 children?
    I do not think so. I think the 15,5 or 16 are better options.

not sure it depends a bit on your wishes:
    where do you want to paddle?
    how much gear?
    how big are the children?
    expieriance in canoeing
    will it be your only boat?
    how big are you, some reach helps.

Questions, questions ... Ally me an experienced owner would be able to help and want to
    THX!
    Cello
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Can anyone confirm whether the seats can be moved fore and aft to adjust trim - they're pretty close together on the 15 presumably to encourage a bit of rocker.

Also can you stick one of the seats in the middle for solo use?

TIA

Ade

I have the previous model of the 15 DR (11years old now) and the seats are very different from newer model. But I do believe you can stick one of the seats into a solo positions. I'm not sure about adjusting the bow or stern seats. Probably best asking Rob-GB

Fred

Thanks Fred

A bit more digging about suggest there is a bit of fore and aft adjustment, although there are separate part no's for front, rear and middle seats which implies they're not interchangable.

http://catalog.bergans.com/ally-canoes

Telephone call to Tamarack in the pipeline..

Hi Ade,
    There is a bit of fore and aft movement with both seats as the legs of them also adjust laterally in the seat. The legs are set at an angle (splayed) to suit the curve of the poles they snap onto.
    The 15 dr centre area has always seemed too small for me to try and fit a seat in there.
    I tend to solo from the aft seat set to a kneeling position (they tilt forward) and put my pack up forward. Hope that helps.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, useful info.

myself and a friend are planning a trip to the porcupine river, yukon to view caribou migration - after some research, i am thinking we need one 15 dr each in case of mishaps.. we could both fit into one if pushed. I would love to try one first if anyone is an owner in the north of england. Any feedback on the canoe / prep / spares, or this area of country would be gratefully received,
    steveB

Hi Steve, I reckon it would have to be a doozy of a mishap to destroy an Ally beyond repair!
    These are pretty robust bits of kit and Bergans Ally do a pretty comprehensive repair kit for serious adventures such as you are planning.
    However, if your funds allow for two...... go for it. Ally canoes seem to be rare on the second owner market and those that I have seen have held their price pretty well.
    I had to buy a new stem for mine, own impatient/ cak-handed fault, and the cost was far less than I had imagined so replacement parts seem to be reasonable and from what I have read a few cable ties and duct-tape in your kit can really help in a pinch.

Check out some of the blogs by Philosophist and Scoutmaster (Kelly and Fred), link to one here:- http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...=ally+Temagami

and some of the Lars Monsen video's "Nordkalotten 365" on youtube, he really puts the Ally through the wringer in them. I linked to one in the other thread Ally 16.5 for Davy 90 (uploaded by the guy who added subtitles)
    Finally, for some further helpful advice talk/email the guys and girls at Tamarack Outdoors who are the sole importer in the UK, we are very pleased with the assistance they gave us.

atb,

Rob.

Hi Rob, enjoyed Lars videos -
    my mate would probably sell his out there - i think hed have no trouble finding a buyer. My theory for two canoes is probably that i think i enjoy solo paddling, like i enjoy walking alone,
    cheers,
    Steve

I have one Ally Canoe 15'5 tramp. This canoe is great if you want travel or you live in a big town like me. Best regard

Hi kite mad - sounds great - if you want to sell please send pics/price. I was almost giving up hope of finding a used ally!!
    I had a nice paddle on loch linnhe last week, but my old ranger16 is a handful solo...

Sorry, I don't want to sell my Ally. It was dificult get the Ally Canoe in Spain and I want to explore some years more in Spain and travel to Lapland. I hope you find a second hand Ally. If I have good news in the next future will contact with you.
    Best regards

is there anybody out there selling an ally canoe?

are there any problems with leaving the ally assembled for long periods?

No.
    It is recommended to leave a new one assembled for a few days to let the skin stretch to the frame so it is easier to assemble next time. After that initial stretch the Ally is good to go and how long it remains assembled has no detrimental effect on the frame or skin as far as I have seen or heard of.
    Rob.

hi there Rob!

how do you get on car-topping your Ally? have you tried it? I'm feverishly anticipating delivery of mine (I think i'll have to be patient for a few weeks; apparently bergans are out of stock...), but as it will be my only boat (having sold the prospector to finance it) i'm hoping I can pretty much leave it built for everyday use, like a quick hop down the spey ten minutes down the road, then pack it once in a while for flights etc. your thoughts?

also, i'll mostly be paddling solo. have you tried the 16.5 vs the 15? how does the 16.5 paddle solo? (if you've tried one)

cheers for any reply and festive greetings to you all!
    d

I have had Robs boat on my roof (Freelander) , with my Easky right way up on the roof bars, and his boat upside down ,gunnel on the bars, leaning on my boat with no worries.
    I expect Rob will be along in a minute with more info.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    I have had Robs boat on my roof (Freelander)
    cheers for that! did you take it easy on the speed or just normal driving?

No worries.
    Just normal driving, we were on the Marauders meet near Oxford (2013) so no motorways, just duel carriageways for the shuttles.
    The only problem we had was when the Allys gunnel pushed the plastic stop plug out of the end of the roof bar.But we re-adjusted the straps and carried on.

If anyone finds the plug please send to ...... :-)
    Last edited by silverbirch; 27th-December-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

Pm'd
    'cos I saw the PM first

Actually Dave you will have two, am away from home at the moment and keep losing my wifi connection...

rob.

thanks guys! much appreciated. now I've just gotta wait for the boat.....

Hi did you get an estimate of delivery? I was quoted 8 weeks for an ally 15

I was told end January earliest. but I won't get a confirmed date until Monday when they're back at work. are you still waiting for yours? I was told there was another person waiting who'd ordered in early December, so it's probably you! i'm quite happy to go for a 16.5 if they've actually got these ready for despatch. I can't imagine it'll make too much difference to the handling and I've been throwing (dragging!) a venture prospector around for years, so anything lighter will be bliss. i'll keep you posted on any news from Craig at CanoeExped...
    all the best
    dave

since a couple of years bergans has a wearhouse in germany. since then delivries to the netherelands are normally days instead of weeks or months.. not sure if they.do all ofeurope from there if so. there should be a resonable fast delivery
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

aye, I used to deal with Bergans in my old job and found them very efficient, so fingers crossed. from what Craig said on the phone (which was boxing day incidentally, so fair play to the guy!), it's more that there's an issue specifically with the 15DR production, not delivery as such. hopefully i'll find out on Monday! esp. since i'm now without a boat and the spey is looking very pretty.....

your English is WAY better than my Flemish btw, so thanks for that!

Craig managed to find me a slightly shop-soiled 15 in his store, so hopefully new boat here by the weekend (which is why the forecast is for plague & pestilence, of course....). otherwise it was looking like march at the earliest for any availability from bergans. i'd give Craig @ CanoeExped 11/10 for his service & communication. however the stock situation from Bergans in Norway is pretty dire so that won't help his business any.

Cracking news and with the bad weather looming you won't mind how long it takes to assemble
    I wish you lots of nice paddle days in the future.
    atb Rob.

cheers Rob! i'm steeling myself not to have a sense of humour failure i'm sure i'll get out for an hour or so, even if it's just loch morlich in a bit of chop or down the spey with a following breeze.....

Craig managed to find me a slightly shop-soiled 15 in his store, so hopefully new boat here by the weekend (which is why the forecast is for plague & pestilence, of course....). otherwise it was looking like march at the earliest for any availability from bergans. i'd give Craig @ CanoeExped 11/10 for his service & communication. however the stock situation from Bergans in Norway is pretty dire so that won't help his business any.
    Excellent news...PM me if need any advise on building it...can be tricky first time round.
    Last edited by scoutmaster; 5th-January-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutmaster View Post
    Excellent news...PM me if need any advise on building it...can be tricky first time round.
    I hear you're not scared of using some fairly hefty hammering Fred!

I'm actually quite interested in the idea of an Ally, probably not this year, but maybe next.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutmaster View Post
    cheers for that! if all else fails you could call round for a coffee......

I'm actually quite interested in the idea of an Ally, probably not this year, but maybe next.
    You won't be disappointed if you do go ahead and get one

cheers for that! if all else fails you could call round for a coffee......
    I may do that

it's here...!! the build commences this evening. see what I mean about the weather?

Don't forget the pics and yeahhh! welcome to the club
    Rob.

feck me! that's not easy first go; especially on your own with the wife downstairs making caustic remarks about how much you've spent on a new boat..... so far about 2 1/2 hours. i'm now just 2 cross-members and the seats away from finishing, but I had to go to bed at that point. photos to follow. looks great, and you can tell it'd be a lot easier with 2 people, an older slightly stretched skin and also with the knowledge that all three chine ribs are different lengths...... (even tho' two of them look very similar)

okay folks, I was a bit pushed for time today: please follow this link to see the build step-by step...
    http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=24055.0

Quote Originally Posted by Corsican Dave View Post
    okay folks, I was a bit pushed for time today: please follow this link to see the build step-by step...
    http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=24055.0
    Hi Dave. WOn't let me view it, need to log in

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/inde...2860#msg262860

sorry, Mal; i'd posted on the members bit. this should be the link to the open board now.... nope, that doesn't work either.
    i'll try a bit of copy and paste, but I may have problems with the photos. I was trying not to have to duplicate my work!

It should - but it is'nt :-(

New boatarrived today. Amazingly it really was “next day” delivery, which is very unusual up here. Here’sa couple of shots of it in its valise and then unpacked and the bits laid outin our spare room (very handy). I took plenty of time identifying the parts anddoing dry-runs in my head before finally starting. Even so, there were a numberof potential SNAFUs, as you will see..

Here’s theskin laid out flat, then the floor in place. Centering the floor is a key partof the build and would definitely be easier with 2 people as it tends to stickto the material a bit... After some trial and error I got it fairly close, butstill not perfect as was only to become apparent later on. The final shot hereshows the gunwhales threaded. This is quite easy to do solo, so I thought I wasdoing okay at this point!

The bow and stern pieces (the u-shaped bits with welded hooks in the earlier photo) have a wish-bone type fitting that goes in the end of the gunwhales, then they rotate into place in the skin. They need a lot of cajoling to seat and the floor tends to move about as you’re wrestling with them. I went for tea at this point…..

It’s difficult to describe the chine rods. They’re two long poles joined at both ends with a rivet/bar to create a double whale bone sort of affair. There are three of these. One has plastic fittings and is pretty obviously the one which sits either side of the keel rod in the centre of the boat. The other two look exactly the same as each other. They are not….. ;it took me a good half hour or so to work this out, probably not helped by the fact that I was doing this in the relatively confined space of a large room and not having connected all three chines and laid them out alongside each other. This would have made it obvious. Maybe with the bigger boats there’s a bigger size difference. With the 15 one’s only about 2” longer than the other, but it’s absolutely critical to the build.

The end bars of the shortest chine (the one with the fittings) are located on the lowest welded hooks on the keel/bow pieces. The NEXT largest chine is located on the next hooks. This requires them to be bent under tension and is not for the faint hearted! As you push them down into place they ping out and you end up with something that looks like a boat. Done solo, this is quite tricky and took me a couple of attempts. One you’ve done this you think you’ve got it sussed. Until you realise the floor’s slipped out of position while you were wrestling with the chines….. start again.

The final (longest!) chine now goes in relatively easily. At this point you’re stuck with the floor position as everything’s now held in tension. As you’ll see, mine’s slightly out but not enough to cause problems. The keel rod goes in and then it’s time to start on the thwarts

How to do this is obvious. You get the second largest in place to help tension the boat so you can fit the largest next. In practice, this was probably the bit I found most difficult on my own. Trying to work against the tension of the skin (new and fairly warm, too at around 18C) whilst locating the ends of the thwart on the gunwhales, then lining up the chine rods with the locating plastic pieces is hard work. The tension is so strong that it’s difficult to prise the chine rods into place if you’ve not located them properly initially. I think another person helping to flex the boat would definitely be a help here. The mallet (provided in the kit) is an essential accessory at this point!

Sorry mate, but none of the images are showing either, and copying the URL to then go to the original image gets me back to a wildfisher log-on page.

I'll google it, bet there's a YouTube of Ally assembly somewhere...
    Last edited by Mal Grey; 8th-January-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Eventually I got the first one in. probably took me about 10-15mins of faffing around. I thought the next one (the widest) might be easier. Ha! Fat chance. However with these two in place the next couple were more straightforward. Still a bit of a game to get all the chines located properly tho’. Once the chines are located, there’s a really neat and positive clip system which locks the thwarts in place on the chines either side of the keel. By this time it was getting on a bit and I was aching, so I left the last couple of thwarts and the seats for tonight and went to bed. All in all, I probably spent about 2 & hours working on this, but I can see it would be much quicker with two people, especially if one of them had done it before!! It’s already apparent that this is a seriously strong and well-engineered piece of kit, although I don’t think I’d be wanting to pack it away and set it up again each time it was to be used…..

don't know what's going on with the images then? they're showing fine to me?

It will be the site permissions that you have them hosted on. You have permission to view the page so you can see the images while none members dont have that permission.

okay, sorry. didn't realise this. so that leaves me a bit stuck, as I apparently don't have permission to post attachments. how do other folks post photos, btw?

You've got the "need to host them on another website" bit right, its just that the website you're using isn't allowing non-logged in people to view them, I think. Not sure if there's an option on wildfisher to give permission. Most of us use photo storage sites like Flikr and Photobucket, but even then they need to be made "public" (though this is, I think, the default on the 2 I mentioned).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast