Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small family tent

Default Small family tent

Morning all.

I've run a few searches and have a tent related question to add to the many already asked on here...

After a successful series of day trips on open water with the family, I'm now looking at lightweight camping options for multi day trips as space is tight on our P15 and we're not looking to upgrade in the near future as the kids are not yet wanting to paddle. Our current camping provision is either too big (huge family 4 berth Outwell thing) or too small (cheap but reliable fibreglass poled 2 man thing).

So, based on a bit of internet research I'm looking at getting a 3 man lightweight free standing tent, I don't really want to spend Terra Nova money if I can avoid it as I'm not foreseeing any high altitude camping in the short term so I've set a budget of £200 which rules out a lot of 'proper' expedition type tents. The plan is to camp on river and loch trips so midge netting is a must as is smallish pack size. Weight is less critical but light is good and a small (but spacious) foot print is good for pitching on tight sites which is critical (based on my recent visit to Loch Sween).

I've a couple of tarps for making outdoor shelters - one of which is likely to be converted to a midge shelter, so the tent will just be for sleeping; we regularly all end up in the same bed currently so I know we'll fit in principle .

Kit is all in drybags/ barrels so can sit outside if required. The Vango Halo 300 seems to have a following and would perhaps suit or something similar, alternatives are Northface Rock 3 although this appears to pitch inner first which I'm less keen on.. Jack Wolfskin Eclipse 3?

My thoughts are that as the kids grow bigger, we get another small tent for them so backpacking/bike touring is possible rather than one larger one.

So really the question is, has anyone here managed happily with the above set up, ie. a 3 man tent and two small kids aged 5 and 2 or is it a silly idea?

Cheers

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Davy 90 View Post
    So really the question is, has anyone here managed happily with the above set up, ie. a 3 man tent and two small kids aged 5 and 2 or is it a silly idea?
    Not at all, we succesfully used a Vaude Campo Grande (3P), with an adult at each entrance and the kids top to tail in the middle on quite a few trips. From memory the height is 115cm which give you enough room for the kids to stand up etc. I am a great fan of a small(ish) tent & tarp combo as I am sure many others are too. I am happy to pitch in the garden if you're passing.

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de...vSignature=4,5

Andy

I spent much of my youth sharing a Vango Force 10 with mum, dad & brother. The only time it wasn't ideal was on Rannoch Moor when we had to bail because of the midges!
    Its fine at the age of your kids, and probably will be till Sam gets to about 8 or so I'd guess. Outside midge shelter would be a great idea, gives you somewhere to put the midges . At some point, though, the kids will want their own space (which can be any basic little tent!)

As I may have told you, I'm also looking at a Vango Halo (the smaller 200). Its not lightweight, exactly, but compared to your current ones I guess it is! What I like about the design is the "transverse" shape (doors to the side of sleepers), pretty big porches, stability, little design details (pockets etc) and best of all the relatively cheap price! Go OUtdoors had them at half price (I nearly bought one but they only had red left in the 200), but I expect they're all gone now.

Worst comes to the worst, Cara can always make you sleep under the tarp with the midges.

So, when do we get to see the Scottish blog(s)?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

For the past 6+ years we've used the Vango equinox 350 as our family tent. The sleeping area footprint is pretty compact, but has a good size porch area which we have found valuable for wet weather and storing all the canoe gear. We can fit everything in and still have space for the kids to sit there eating breakfast if the weather is wild outside.

Sleeping wise it was great when the kids were small, but when they got to 10 & 8 we started taking another 2 man tent along as well to give a bit more elbow space.

The spirit is around 40cm narrower (which actually makes a big difference), but quite a bit lighter. I think the omega is more the dimensions of the equinox.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

The alternative is to have 2x two person tents........so you get good flexibility of use:

* 1 adult plus 1 child.

* Kids get older and they share a tent together, you are back with Cara.

* or, you may have occasion to want to use the tent on your own.

My son uses a Vango Spirit 200 for when he is on his DofE trips.......or we have used it together.....easy to pitch, does the job.

As a family we use two of these Vango Omega 250...........again good for family camps, lots of storage space, not as compact of light as the above, but fine for canoeing.

+1 on the Vango Equinox. We used a 350 as our family tent for years until the kids got bigger. The width was fine at the head end but because the sleeping area tapers it got too tight as the kids got taller and ran out of leg room. The porch was huge though. I seem to remember that they do a 450 which would give more space for a family of 4 and probably isn't vastly bigger pack size. It was absolutely bombproof and with the storm straps done up it would stand up to any weather. I think they do another cheaper model which is very similar but a bit less full on spec wise.

Cheers for replies so far.

Any thoughts on the free standing semi-geodesic frames vs. tunnel tents? I'm thinking of when pitching on those little sandy/shingle raised beaches at the sides of Lochs/river meanders where pegs won't hold...

A

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

My wife found this for £3.99 in the Oxfam shop.

Really a two person, but could squeeze a third in, though it would be cosy! It's a Lichfield Cherokee 3. Might try it on Mull soon...

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Get yourself down to Glastonbury at the end of the festival. Helping clear up last year I got 2 three man tents and a rather splendid gazebo - for free!

Morning all.

The Vango Halo 300 seems to have a following and would perhaps suit ?
    I think you answered your own question here. The Halo does come in 3 sizes 200, 300 and 400 (2, 3 and 4 man respectively)

Semi-geodesic (half dome), free standing, three poles. You can pitch, and then move to where you want it.

http://www.vango.co.uk/range/halo-200-300-400.html

If you decide to go down that route, pm me and I will try and get you a reasonable deal.

David
    Last edited by Keltoi; 11th-April-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

The Vango Halo 300 seems to have a following and would perhaps suit
    Jack Wolfskin Eclipse 3?
    Your on the money with the Halo 300.
    Mrs retro and I have been using one for wild camping for around three years now they pitch as one and the poles are alloy and external. When not in the hammock I use a Jackwolfskin tent and the quality is superb, being German they are designed to work much better in a wet cold climate, more than the North American tents like The North Face ect so the 'Woolfie' options may be worth looking at.

If your not pitching on the Khumbu Glacier any of Vangos on this page will give years of service to the average canoe camper (3 of the guys I regularly canoe with now use Halos) and not break the bank.
    http://www.vango.co.uk/tents.html?ca...1_1,catid2_115

Here's some vid clips I did when the Halo first appeared on the market.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...njuly10106.mp4

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/retro4848/?action=view&current=insidetent.mp4

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...njuly10109.mp4
    Last edited by retro; 11th-April-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: adding link

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

I've just replaced a cheap and cheerful old vango with a vango chinook 200.

There is a 300 version that would be ideal for you by the sounds of it. Semi- geo design. So will pitch without a single peg if you are on a beach or the like. Pitches fly first or both together. Very, very well constructed. I bought it for when I dont want to take my terra nova out for whatever reason. Truth is, I think I will use it a lot more than I planned. Field and trek had them on offer at 180 ish. I got the 200 version for 130 by getting go-outdoors to price match some Internet company I had never heard of !

Impressed with weight and pack size, even comes with full bag of spares including all clips, pole ends, all materials, zip pulls the lots. I think the chinook is the next step up the range from the halos.

Lots of choice - enjoy the search
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

Just thought I would chuck a couple of photos I took into this:

A couple to show general shape, one to show "what's in the box" and one to show just one of the design details I liked. Extra webbing to stop any possible wear at pole overlap points.

Remember mine is the smaller 200 version, and there are no pegs in at this point. Hence why the unzipped doors flapped back looking untidy.
    Last edited by bushcraft paddler; 11th-April-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Same photo twice oops

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft paddler View Post

Like the look of that.

I am very impressed with it. Couple of decent reviews on YouTube that do a better job than me ! Seems fairly new in the range. Door on the otherside too so porches for storage, cooking etc in good old British weather ...

I am very impressed with it.
    I will say vango do seem to have got there act together for the 'lowland adventurist' I sold my Golite Hex/Shangri-La 3, because the halo just worked better for two of us and a small dog, plus Mrs Retro said the ticks can't get in this one.

Just dusted this off, geodisic, Terra Nova / Wild Country.
    2 entrances, used in the snow & high winds, with no issues
    I think it's a Q2 if I remember, a cheaper Quaser but bomproof tent, I must stop this tent fetish, & start selling some of them.....

TT
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Yep looks like my super quaser that i got in a sale (mis-priced) for £79 with a groundsheet protector included. Just got to love distance selling !! Although I got it cheap I use it for my mountain walking and never take it canoeing as I tend to cook over and have an open fire of some sort when in the canoe.

Well I pitched my trusty old cheapo Aztec Galleria 2 in the garden yesterday evening. Its inner footprint is 2.1x1.6m which despite being a 2 man tent makes it marginally smaller than some of the 3 man tents under consideration currently, the gear storage is poor in comparison. Against the tent bling on offer above, its looking decidedly shoddy with the taped seams unsticking and loose stitching here and there.. I remember the disdain from the chap in the shop when I bought it some 15 years ago - "that's just a festival tent"... which I suppose it is, it was the second cheapest in the shop (we don't like to skimp ). Has sheltered us in campsites all over the UK and Europe, most of the time with a snapped pole held together with parcel tape and a shower of condensation in the morning when opening the door... and more recently with repaired poles in gales in Ullswater although it flexed spectacularly... Don't think its up to the job really..

Lots of food for thought so cheers for all replies.

A

The deed has been done, a Vango Halo 300 should be winging its way to SE London shortly.

Thanks to Keltoi for making me an offer I couldn't refuse...

Cheers for all input..

Problem is I've been reviewing all of our other camping gear, and the whole lot is looking like it needs upgrading...

A

We use a Golite Shangri La 5. Managed to get it second hand at a good price. Nice roomy lightweight tent for three.

The deed has been done, a Vango Halo 300 should be winging its way to SE London shortly.

Thanks to Keltoi for making me an offer I couldn't refuse...

Cheers for all input..

Problem is I've been reviewing all of our other camping gear, and the whole lot is looking like it needs upgrading...

A
    Looks like a nice tent......

For additional camping gear, if it is sleeping bags, self-inflating mattresses etc. Alpkit do some good stuff.

Nice one, I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Looks like a nice tent......

For additional camping gear, if it is sleeping bags, self-inflating mattresses etc. Alpkit do some good stuff.
    They do indeed, I've spent far too long today looking at pricey 'technical sleep systems' various eye-wateringly expensive 'cooking systems' and a few other bits and bobs to pack out the boat to the gunnels... When looking at 4x stuff, the cost is quickly comparable to a second new boat

Anyone on here use water filtration? We can get through water at a fair rate... (pesky MSR website...)

A

Tent arrived today, pitched and taken down this lunch time - very happy with it for the price I paid.

Quick question, should it be stuffed or rolled? What do people do - nothing in instructions and typically I didn't really clock how it came out the bag first time...
    I've got it back in the bag rolled but really had to ram the poles and pegs in.....

A
    Last edited by Davy 90; 16th-April-2012 at 01:09 PM.

I've always rolled tents after folding them into rough rectangles; fly on top of inner, then use the poles to help roll it tightly. The trick to getting it in is working out how to fold it before rolling - getting it into a long rectangle with the width being just less than the bag size.

Hi Adrian

As Mal says, rolled.

As a general rule, fold the tent into thirds be fore rolling (you may be able to still see the existing creases) which is generally the width of the tent bag.

Regards
    DH

Anyone on here use water filtration? We can get through water at a fair rate... (pesky MSR website...)

A
    We use a Katadyn Water filter which I find easy to use but not cheap!

http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-pr...-mini-schwarz/

Cheers,

Lynne
    All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost

I've got a lifesaver bottle - absolutely brilliant. worth watching this: http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_pri...er_filter.html

megga money, but ebay is your friend as they were issued to a number of our armed forces and do appear all the time in new condition

Quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    Hi Adrian

As Mal says, rolled.

As a general rule, fold the tent into thirds be fore rolling (you may be able to still see the existing creases) which is generally the width of the tent bag.

Regards
    DH

Thanks, we've always rolled tents in the past, this one seemed a bit tight and as its a lighter weight fabric than I'm used to was wondering if I was missing a trick.. Its all in the stuff sack now and ready for action.

Was looking at the lifesaver bottle today, in the grand scheme of things, it may pay for itself in the long run as it stops me buying a 5l container of Evian every time I camp just for the container... ;O)

Currently holding off on water filtration as we're not likely to get to the wilds for a couple of trips - perhaps overkill for an overnighter on Cookham lock, might even take the air bags out

Cheers

A

I use an MSR gravity system for a long time now and it really is one of the best constructions I've seen for filtering water. No pumping, a practical carrier bag for bringing the water up, and an easy to clean filter.

Hi Adrian

Update on the Lifesystems bottle.

We believe that it is a marvellous piece of kit, unfortunately the margin is too small to warrant us stocking it. (Worse than GPS and other electrical items).

So, it would be better value just buying it direct from them.

I hope that helps.

Hi Adrian

We believe that it is a marvellous piece of kit, unfortunately the margin is too small to warrant us stocking it. (Worse than GPS and other electrical items).

I hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info. We've not decided what we're doing re filtration as yet but will let you know when we do.

Cheers

A

Hi Adrian

I hope that helps.
    Blimey. I remember the GPS margin from my Outdoor Industry buying days...we nearly didn't start stocking it due to the low margins. Luckily we risked it! If its worse than that was, I know how bad it must be!

It does look like a great bit of kit, having played with Waveclouds one. He just drinks Thameswater on his multi-day trips, pumped through the bottle. I would say he's come to no harm, but many of you have met him so may disagree!!!

I've been trying to work out what the down side to the Lifesaver bottle is. It seems its only that it should really be price more expensively to be a retail item, so buying it direct it a good option. Its just the retailer that loses out, and I do very much sympathise with them, its a tough place to be at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I've been trying to work out what the down side to the Lifesaver bottle is. It seems its only that it should really be price more expensively to be a retail item, so buying it direct it a good option. Its just the retailer that loses out, and I do very much sympathise with them, its a tough place to be at the moment.

I read/saw somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) that they have a limited shelf life, aside from that, they are not as small as options which use bags / bladders..

More stuff turned up today (Lomo 60l bag, 2x snugpak softie chrysalis 3 bags, snugpak response pak,) still waiting on sleeping mats, kids bags and cooking bits and bobs..

I want to review how it all packs down in the boat (ha!) before I buy any more stuff.... Quite exciting though..

A

Maybe you need some of these: http://www.eaglecreekluggage.co.uk/p...?prod=40119000

Or just a crowbar to help with the cramming in...

Weekend forecast slightly improved!

I read/saw somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) that they have a limited shelf life, aside from that, they are not as small as options which use bags / bladders..

More stuff turned up today (Lomo 60l bag, 2x snugpak softie chrysalis 3 bags, snugpak response pak,) still waiting on sleeping mats, kids bags and cooking bits and bobs..

I want to review how it all packs down in the boat (ha!) before I buy any more stuff.... Quite exciting though..

A
    Will be interested to find out how you get on with the Snugpak Softie's.......we have some and I don't think I have had a warm night in one!

+1 for a vango as they provide good value for money. If pitch size wasn't an issue, I'd go for the Icarus 500 as it's a good size and has some 'living' space but for total VFM, you can't beat the Alpha range - £85 for small footprint, 3-4 man tent. I use an old-style Alpha 250 and it's big enough for 2+gear so should be OK for a snug family. Saying that, I only really got it as a solo tent (me & gear) for Scout camps & other.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Will be interested to find out how you get on with the Snugpak Softie's.......we have some and I don't think I have had a warm night in one!

ho hum - read a variety of good and bad things about them, I've taken their -5 comfort rating to mean ok to zero based on google research and am expecting to have to add liners / clothing on really cold nights.. I can just about get them down to their stated pack size by jumping up and down on the stuff sacks repeatedly and tensioning the compression straps till they creak..

I guess I'll soon find out how they perform in the field....

A

Have a look at this. http://thedamntrueexperiment.blogspo...igns-zeta.html

Plenty of room for me, the wife and a 120lb bullmastiff.
    - True is my actual first name.
    - Follow on Twitter http://twitter.com/DamnTrue
    - Check out my blog The Damn True Experiment

ho hum - read a variety of good and bad things about them, I've taken their -5 comfort rating to mean ok to zero based on google research and am expecting to have to add liners / clothing on really cold nights.. I can just about get them down to their stated pack size by jumping up and down on the stuff sacks repeatedly and tensioning the compression straps till they creak..

I guess I'll soon find out how they perform in the field....

A
    Probably just me ........I hate sleeping bags ......I now take a double-bed sized duvet, stuffed into a stuff-sack...and sleep on a Alpkit Airic ....toasty

Probably just me ........I hate sleeping bags ......I now take a double-bed sized duvet, stuffed into a stuff-sack...and sleep on a Alpkit Airic ....toasty

Sounds like my car camping set up - add a couple of fleece rugs below and above the airbed and a cheapo 2 season bag as a throw over the duvet... No room for that in the P15

A

Sounds like my car camping set up - add a couple of fleece rugs below and above the airbed and a cheapo 2 season bag as a throw over the duvet... No room for that in the P15

A
    That's because you need another canoe!

We got this Jack Wolfskin Pyramid Tarp tent from Germany. It was less than £200 even with delivery.

I was very impressed with this tent on our recent trip. It stood up very well to torrential rain and relentless winds. Very easy and quick to put up and take down.

What I was impressed with, was the footprint and the space it gave us. There was plenty of room for all three of us, the dog and all our gear and still space for another person.

There's nothing worse than trying to get kids ready for bed when it's pouring with rain and you only have a small tent!

Cheers,

Lynne
    All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Excellent! Want one. Then I can paddle with it pitched in the canoe!

Morning all.

I've run a few searches and have a tent related question to add to the many already asked on here...

After a successful series of day trips on open water with the family, I'm now looking at lightweight camping options for multi day trips as space is tight on our P15 and we're not looking to upgrade in the near future as the kids are not yet wanting to paddle. Our current camping provision is either too big (huge family 4 berth Outwell thing) or too small (cheap but reliable fibreglass poled 2 man thing).

So, based on a bit of internet research I'm looking at getting a 3 man lightweight free standing tent, I don't really want to spend Terra Nova money if I can avoid it as I'm not foreseeing any high altitude camping in the short term so I've set a budget of £200 which rules out a lot of 'proper' expedition type tents. The plan is to camp on river and loch trips so midge netting is a must as is smallish pack size. Weight is less critical but light is good and a small (but spacious) foot print is good for pitching on tight sites which is critical (based on my recent visit to Loch Sween).

I've a couple of tarps for making outdoor shelters - one of which is likely to be converted to a midge shelter, so the tent will just be for sleeping; we regularly all end up in the same bed currently so I know we'll fit in principle .

Kit is all in drybags/ barrels so can sit outside if required. The Vango Halo 300 seems to have a following and would perhaps suit or something similar, alternatives are Northface Rock 3 although this appears to pitch inner first which I'm less keen on.. Jack Wolfskin Eclipse 3?

My thoughts are that as the kids grow bigger, we get another small tent for them so backpacking/bike touring is possible rather than one larger one.

Cheers

Ade
    I don't know what they would cost in Britain, but we've been happy (we have two) with the Eureka Timberline four person tent. It is relatively light weight, packs small and, after all, 2.7 million boyscouts can't be wrong.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Thanks for the input, see post #25 we've bought and received our new tent courtesy of David (Keltoi) who was very helpful, so we bought a load of other gear through him as well at a very reasonable price.
    Anyone considering buying outdoor stuff should get in touch with him to see if he can help.

Cheers

A

Ahem thanks for the kind words. Only too glad to help.

P.S. Sneaked down to dispatch to take a look at your billy can, its a beauty!!

Just thought I would chuck a couple of photos I took into this:

A couple to show general shape, one to show "what's in the box" and one to show just one of the design details I liked. Extra webbing to stop any possible wear at pole overlap points.

Remember mine is the smaller 200 version, and there are no pegs in at this point. Hence why the unzipped doors flapped back looking untidy.
    This looks to be the sort of tent I'm after,anyone know of any deals on them?
    cheapest on e bay £160 for 300 version.
    reassuringly negative

Hi Magic

PM sent

I see that Go Outdoors have chinook tents on offer at the moment
    Jean

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/chinook-...)&utm_content=

You don't want to be paying that much for one !!! I think mine was £145 by getting G OUT D to price match the cheapest price I could possibly find on the net

HI

We've just bought an Vango Equinox 450 - huge and a Vango 300 Chinook. The Equinox is supposed to be a four person tent but I think it will do three comfortably and the Chinook is really a comfortable two person. If you buy a 2011 version, rather than 2012 you will save big time. We got the Chinook at less than half price. Both seem to be very good quality. We will be testing them in the Lake District in the next couple of weeks.

Ok its 2014 and more trips are planned.

Our Vango Halo 300 has been great but is showing early signs of wear and tear both to the inner and fly, in short I'm less than confident in its ability to withstand unexpected freak weather - which we seem to be getting a fair bit of at the moment and for which its not really designed. Its also too narrow for 4 sleeping mats, which based on our recent camping weekend, we will shortly need as the kids seem to have got wider

Any suggestions for an approx 5kg (or less) 4 season 4 person tent for general camping, family cycle touring and of course, canoe camping.

We camp all year round and plan to spend more time in remote bits of Scotland and hopefully further afield as the boys get bigger. A decent sized vestibule/entrance area is a bonus and bombproof reliability is a must.

I've been looking at the following 4 season tents

Hilleberg Nallo 4GT - the price is eye watering, but the use it will get over the years offsets this (a bit). The huge vestibule looks like we could manage without the tarp and the weight is cycle touring friendly. This seems to be the default young family 'expedition' tent. I've read of reports of not brilliant customer service and weak zips.. They appear to pop up on here used from time to time..

Alpkit Zhota - not a lot of info on this but it looks excellent value and I like the Alpkit stuff I have already. Like the volume and price, not sure about the weight and smaller vestibules. I guess for cycling we can split the parts although I'm not mad about the inner first pitching.

Terra Nova Terra Firma is heavy and expensive and the Vaude Ferret XT 4 seems to offer little over the Nallo 4GT for similar money.

I've read good things about the Go Lite stuff but can't seem to find any info on 4 person tents.

In no rush and would consider used.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ade
    Last edited by Davy 90; 2nd-January-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Hilleberg would be on my "ultimate" list as a brand!

I think the Alpkit will be well made, but I'd look for that bigger porch myself. Same for the Terra Firma, to be honest.

Will have a think....Wild Country might be worth considering too, but less familiar with their bigger models.

As for the Halo, mine is also looking a bit tired after a similar length of time. One of the poles has a split in the female section of the pole. I e-mailed Vango and they are sending me a free replacement. Fair play!

Quick check of the Wild Country workbook. Nothing particular. They do a Hoolie 3 ETC (looks like the Nallo), but not a 4, and the standard Hoolie 4 lacks porch space.

The better Vangos use upgraded fabrics, but don't think they do anything big enough that's also 4 season. Their Force Ten range (modern not classic!) is similar to TN - small porches.

To be honest, the 4 season thing may limit you a bit. Some of the brands would consider 4 season to mean use with a weight of snow on them, which means only the geodesic designs will pass muster. Geodesic tend to have small porches. Other top brands would do 3 or 3-4 season designs in hoop or semi-geodesic which would be more than capable of standing up to the wind and rain you'll face in our ever changing climate.

Will carry on thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Quick check of the Wild Country workbook. Nothing particular. They do a Hoolie 3 ETC (looks like the Nallo), but not a 4, and the standard Hoolie 4 lacks porch space.

The better Vangos use upgraded fabrics, but don't think they do anything big enough that's also 4 season. Their Force Ten range (modern not classic!) is similar to TN - small porches.

To be honest, the 4 season thing may limit you a bit. Some of the brands would consider 4 season to mean use with a weight of snow on them, which means only the geodesic designs will pass muster. Geodesic tend to have small porches. Other top brands would do 3 or 3-4 season designs in hoop or semi-geodesic which would be more than capable of standing up to the wind and rain you'll face in our ever changing climate.

Will carry on thinking...
    cheers Mal

the 4 season bit is unlikely to get tested in the short term but maybe in the future.... I am keen on having a shelter that will reliably stand up to the worst a Scottish Easter/Autumn can throw at it.

Hmmmm, "Small Family Tent" ....
    First get a small family ....
    sorry, back in my box, happy new year mate.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast