Thread: 1st time using my new sail :)

Default 1st time using my new sail :)

At long last I have finally got to use my new sailing rig

The test site was to be Shotley, and Fredster was in attendance, just in case anything was to go wrong and more importantly to laugh at me.

I set everything up, being the first time out it took a while to set up. I had a lot of bits of string / rope, and was thinking " this does something, but can't remember what". I finally got everything done, and found my first little problem.

I find I usually forget something, normally it's only a minor thing. Something like a sponge, bailer, BA. This time I remembered everything, so I thought. Turns out I forgot something quite important, the metal rod that holds the rudder stock to the boat. After searching the boot of the van I found an M8 bolt, which was just big enough to hold the rudder on

Finally push the boat into the water, and paddle out to deeper water. Lower the rudder and leeboard, and pull on the sail.

To my surprise it actually moved, everything worked as it was supposed to do. I knew the sail would work of course

It tracked so well by itself, I was confident enough to do a little videoing.

Part 1
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Default Part 2

Had to put this in 2 parts, as it hates having 2 videos in 1 post for some reason
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................
    Fredster was kind enough, to test it for me.

The outriggers worked better than expected, I tried my best in the huge 10mph winds to get the outriggers under the water but the best I could achieve was they dipped about an inch under. Once in the shallows I tested the buoyancy and found I could crawl out to the outriggers before they submerged.

After a couple of hours playing, we had a visit from a little boat

Now to wait for the winds to pick up a little more, and the tides to be in favour.

Joe
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg

Its looking good. Well done. A nice day for a first sail.

Great stuff Joe, your canoe really looks the part.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    ...Fredster was kind enough to test it for me...
    lol, that makes it sound like I know what I'm doing! Was a great day. Light winds meant you could relax a bit. Well done Joe for building your setup, looking forward to a summer on the Stour.

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

Thanks all for the kind words.

I've done a little modding to it already.

I found a lovely little wind indicator thingy in Brookbank like this one

But they wanted 20 for it! Screw that, I'll make one 1 x 75p flag from the beach, a little bit of slack from a cam strap and a bit of welding rod. And I have my own fully balanced wind indicator (picture to follow)

I've added 2 cleats to the leebaord bracket, so I can lock off the uphaul line for the rudder. And if I'm feeling brave, lock in place the sail. (don't know the correct name, you know the blue rope that you pull to go quicker).

And to top it off I now have an extending tiller, it cost a whole 3.99 and came from Go Outdoors, will have to see if it works. If not there is a lovely piece of conduit in the garage that looks the correct size

SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    I've added 2 cleats to the leebaord bracket, so I can lock off the uphaul line for the rudder. And if I'm feeling brave, lock in place the sail. (don't know the correct name, you know the blue rope that you pull to go quicker).
    It's called the "Sheet" if you only have one sail, but the "Main Sheet" if you have more sails. The Jib Sail has a "Jib Sheet" and so on.

Here is a pretty good webpage that should help:
    http://artofsailing.info/parts-of-a-sailing-boat/

Hopefully you can make it to Rutland Water in 10-days. It would be good to see your canoe in the flesh, especially your outriggers.

1 finished fully balanced wind indicator for under 1. It just clips onto the deck plates

SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg