Widths:
    max. width 34 1/8"
    max. gunwale 33"
    max. at 4" waterline 32 1/8"
    Depths:
    Bow 17"
    Center 12 1/2"
    Stern 16"
    Kevlar, Flex-core (51 lb. with standard equipment)
    Kevlar, Ultra-light Core (39 lb. with standard equipment)

Maker's Write up
    A foot longer than the 17' Jensen, our 18' Jensen dominated the UCSA Marathon canoe championships for many years. It tracks straighter and is slightly more efficient than the 17' Jensen and has a better glide ratio, making the 18' Jensen faster in straight ahead events and paddling.
    The 18' Jensen can also handle longer trips by people who are small or pack light. Its length provides surprising volume and buoyancy for a slim, low canoe.
    When Canoe & Kayak Magazine tested this hull, they said, "Few canoes match the smooth paddling performance of this one. The shallow-arch hull blends efficiency with enough stability to reassure newer paddlers. It's both stable and quick. I'd rate the 18' Jensen as one of the finest canoes I've ever paddled."
    Last edited by Canoe Guru; 6th-March-2007 at 10:19 PM.

I felt it was time to make a short entry on the Jensen 18, because I've owned one for about 3 years now, and someone should sing the praises of this remarkable canoe.

I bought mine to do the Devizes to Westminster race, ended up doing it, and the Watersides etc twice. I would say the boat is as close to a perfect starter C2 for that sort of thing as you can get. It's fast enough that you aren't an embarrassment (in the right hands it's very fast indeed), it's stable and actually turns very much better than anyone would expect.

Although it looks long and low, it's pretty seaworthy. We normally do the Poole Harbour 15 mile race every year, and the waves around Brownsea can get pretty big, but with a deck we are OK (touch wood!)

We've also used ours for camping trips. I mean, obviously it won't hold a mountain of gear, but for normal stuff ours is fine. Plus if you have a slower team in your group, you can transfer stuff to other boats and the slow team can keep up easily in the Jensen. (Yes, I know camping trips aren't about speed, but if you have to make a campsite, maybe at a Thames lock, before a certain time and there isn't much flow, that's the way to do it.)

Ours is in the ultra light layup which is super in the carry, but can take some damage from scratching. I launched mine first time out over a broken lobster pot buried in the mud, but once the trauma had subsided it wasn't too bad to repair with some acetone and epoxy (tip - use clingfilm or release film pressed down with foam over the repair to get a smooth surface)

In short, this is the best boat I own, and if I had to have only one, it would be this one.

do you still have her has i am looking for one to do the dw in with my son
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Hackworth View Post
    I felt it was time to make a short entry on the Jensen 18, because I've owned one for about 3 years now, and someone should sing the praises of this remarkable canoe.

I bought mine to do the Devizes to Westminster race, ended up doing it, and the Watersides etc twice. I would say the boat is as close to a perfect starter C2 for that sort of thing as you can get. It's fast enough that you aren't an embarrassment (in the right hands it's very fast indeed), it's stable and actually turns very much better than anyone would expect.

Although it looks long and low, it's pretty seaworthy. We normally do the Poole Harbour 15 mile race every year, and the waves around Brownsea can get pretty big, but with a deck we are OK (touch wood!)

We've also used ours for camping trips. I mean, obviously it won't hold a mountain of gear, but for normal stuff ours is fine. Plus if you have a slower team in your group, you can transfer stuff to other boats and the slow team can keep up easily in the Jensen. (Yes, I know camping trips aren't about speed, but if you have to make a campsite, maybe at a Thames lock, before a certain time and there isn't much flow, that's the way to do it.)

Ours is in the ultra light layup which is super in the carry, but can take some damage from scratching. I launched mine first time out over a broken lobster pot buried in the mud, but once the trauma had subsided it wasn't too bad to repair with some acetone and epoxy (tip - use clingfilm or release film pressed down with foam over the repair to get a smooth surface)

In short, this is the best boat I own, and if I had to have only one, it would be this one.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

I paddled one of these the other week in Holland, and I have to say I liked it.

We paddled it tandem on Dutch canals in strong winds and it was certainly fast. Made good headway against the winds too.

Like it!

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

5. Default

Wenonah Jensen 18

We have owned our Jensen 18 for 4 years now and I can't recommend it highly enough.

It is very stable even for complete beginners, with the boat in deep water I can climb out of it and have a swim and climb back in without turning it over, it really is that stable. We often take our dog with us, he's a Spaniel circa 20 kg, and even with him jumping around excitedly it's still not wobbly. The boat actually has built in floatations tanks at both ends - but they've never been needed ( by us ). The choppiest conditions we have encountered were at Henley straight, the waves were around 12" and it was more fun than intimidating.

With bent shaft paddles ( sit and switch) it really can shift, we've raced in Thamesides and Watersides and also completed DW straight through. Ours weighs 40 lbs ( kevlar ) therefore portaging is a pleasure, it's easy to carry or shoulder. We have reinforced ours along the sides with duct tape to reduce damage when coming alongside, but overall the material is very durable.

This really is an all time great canoe and my only regret is not getting one sooner.

Mike

Hullo Jensen fans.

We are going to be paddling a clipper Jensen in our Yukon River Quest race for the first time. We'll meet the boat when we get there.

We've been training in our folding pakboat and looking at the timings early in the race, it's pretty tight as to whether we can meet the cut off times. Looking at data from previous races we are starting to wonder if we are going to get a bit of va va voom from the jensen. The top cruising speed in the pakcanoe is about 4mph, and we can get her up to 5mph for short bursts.

Has anyone been out in the Jensen with a GPS. If so, what's its cruising speed?

Thanks for your help

Dan & Sarah (http://paddle-faster.com/)

It might be usefull to try to paddle one before to go there. I think asking it here and on the dwrace fb page are the best shots. With some afford I think 9 kmh ish is doable on non moving water.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    It might be usefull to try to paddle one before to go there. I think asking it here and on the dwrace fb page are the best shots. With some afford I think 9 kmh ish is doable on non moving water.
    A good idea - we did some asking around at the start of the year but got no responses. Sadly we have run out of weekends before the race, we didn't try to the DW group though...

Having seen you two paddle... I don't doubt for one moment that you could up the pace massively with a Jensen 18. Assume at least 5-6 mph for fast cruising... and over the long haul you ought to at least manage 4-5 mph.

having expeditioned with one I would reckon on 4 to 5 mph. Then of course on a lot of the Yukon you will also have a current pushing you along.

ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    Having seen you two paddle... I don't doubt for one moment that you could up the pace massively with a Jensen 18. Assume at least 5-6 mph for fast cruising... and over the long haul you ought to at least manage 4-5 mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayGoodwin View Post
    having expeditioned with one I would reckon on 4 to 5 mph. Then of course on a lot of the Yukon you will also have a current pushing you along.
    Thanks for thoughts both Ray and Greg.

We've been doing some analysis of river speeds and our speed - plugging it into a spreadsheet to look at where we think we will be, what food we'll need, and most importantly where we need to be at cut off stages to continue in the race. I've got some approximate river speeds from a few sources, and the second half of the race where we are on the river there is a big window of wiggle room to get us home.

The first section is 24 miles on river going about 2 mph, but majority of the first section of the race is over the huge Lake Laberge. 30 miles of either flat or windy water.

The river section we need to be doing at 6 mph - 4 from us and 2 from the river.
    The lake: no matter the weather we'd need to cross it at at least 3.1 mph.

In our pub planning session last night we were surprised how close it might be in the early stages. If I were doing it in our training boat I'd be worried - It's do-able, just. But it sounds like we can gain a 1-2 mph from a lovely Jensen and it feels a lot more achievable.

(We have a few training races when we get there, and I'm hoping to measure our speed in those)

thanks!

Thanks for all the help. We should get to sit in a Jensen on Tuesday!

I wrote up the work we've done so far and what we plan to do next on the blog...

http://paddle-faster.com/2015/06/06/...oints-in-time/

We got into the Jensen yesterday evening.

The boat was a surprise. It took a while to get used to its reactive nature, we had the wobbles particularly side-on to the wind for a few minutes. Our turing 180 degrees started with ridiculously wide turns - they got tighter with me working the turn from the front a lot.

Going in to the wind, it was solid and let us push without too much effort. Going with the wind - it seemed hard to get as fast a pace as we expected, the boat got to speed and sat there. It may be that our paddling technique needs adjusting again once we hit that speed. We got 5 mph out of it downwind, and 3.8 mph going upwind...

there's a little write up here on our speed: http://paddle-faster.com/2015/06/10/...-out-for-size/

Thanks all!