Widths:
    max. width 34 1/2"
    max. gunwale 34 1/2"
    max. at 4" waterline 32 5/8"
    Depths:
    Bow 21"
    Center 14"
    Stern 18"

Royalex Hull (65 lb. with standard equipment)

Maker's Write Up
    This is a touring canoe that has nearly the speed and glide of a cruiser. With its sleek bow, straight keel-line, and shallow-arch hull, this is the fastest Royalex hull made. It also delivers the best tracking and glide.
    Though not quite as efficient as our composite types, the Royalex 17' Sundowner paddles so well that it is often raced in challenging conditions such as shallow, rocky streams and rivers. It is so efficient in fact, that this design is often used as a "class" canoe, where race organizers use the 17 Sundowner as the only canoe design permitted in the class, or as the baseline for judging other designs and hulls.
    When you are not racing, the Royalex 17' Sundowner is a fast, efficient touring canoe for an evening's paddle after work, or a short camping trip on local rivers and lakes. And with our expertise building Royalex canoes, it will provide you with years of rewarding paddling.
    Last edited by Canoe Guru; 6th-March-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Default Sundownwer 17'

When I wanted to buy a canoe I didn’t know anything about open canoes.
    Fortunately a neighbour had a boat. He told me to buy a boat that is at least 5m long. My two sons were little and so I could not expect, that they could help me to get the boat on and off the car. I had to handle the boat alone.
    At least 5m long and lighter than 30kg that were the predictions for my canoe.
    The Sundowner 17‘ fullfills this. 5.20m long and 26,8kg (Tuf-weave Flexcore). It is easy to get onto the car alone. The only help I need is to get it into and out of the cellar, because the door is narrow and the step is steep.
    The boat is made for two persons. With two removable extra seats made of stainless steel and wood we made tours with two adults and three children. But it is also possible to use it solo.
    The Sundowner 17‘ is designed for flat water and long distances. It has no rocker. „Is this boat fast!“ said someone who paddled it together with me for the first time. And it is silent. There is no noise when it glides through the water. But you have to work a little bit to turn it around. But when the Avant is skilled it is no problem.
    The bow stem is very steep. When my uncle and me were in the Spreewald in October, the bow stem collected lots of leaves that fell onto the water. These little leaves had a great influence on the performance of the canoe so that my uncle who was the Avant had to sweep them away every some hundred meters.
    Even as a solo it is wonderful. In spite of the straight keel line it is easy to turn when it is paddled leaned on the chines. Certainly it is not a freesyle canoe but it is possible to do Canadian Style maneuvres with it. It is a marvellous feeling to move such a big canoe exactly.
    Wind is poison because of the freebord is very big. Especially when paddled solo. Wind from the front is not so bad because the bow stem cuts the waves and the high freeboard reflects them so that they get no access into the boat.

Summary:
    There is no boat we Germans call „Eierlegende Wollmilchsau“ (A pig that gives eggs, milk and wool) but this boat comes close to that. Wonderful on flat water, fast as a tandem, good for a family and also possible as a solo.

Does anyone have any experience of the Sundowner 18?
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Hi Bonehead,
    I think you will find some more info on paddling.net
    the Sundowner 18 is I think quiete rare in the UK.
    I can not tell you a thing about them, because I did not paddle any. I have a 17 that I really like. I guess that it will be bigger. and it if is similatr to the 17 (ihave no reason why not)

It will be good for tandem cruising boat , good for big trips. turnes well for a long wenonah. It will be not as fast as a minnesota, but will easiel outrun any prospector.

what do you wnat to do with it? how expensive is it?

Wenonah make the Sundowner 17 but they do not make an 18.
    See http://www.wenonah.com/products/temp...73ea53f2ec760f for details.
    They are available in the UK through Wenonah dealers and the royalex model is in stock.

Although Wenonah do not currently make the Sundowner 18 (they currently only do a 17 in royalex) they have been manufactured in the past.

I currently have a 16 adirondack and was contemplating swapping this for the Sundowner 18. Its more a case of having an opportunity to snap one up: just trying to weigh up the pros and cons without a paddle.

What do you not like in the andirondack? If you want to carry more gear, paddel at more speed and have a boat that edges easier, then I guess the sundowner is a good option.
    I hope it helps.
    It would be good to add it to your fleet and compare it a copuple of months and see what you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    It would be good to add it to your fleet and compare it a copuple of months and see what you like best.
    I love the Adirondack, for flat water it's great and it does have a reasonable turn of speed. It's Royalex however and although fairly light something a little lighter, faster and larger would always be welcomed.

I will probably as suggested add it to the fleet but, the problem is despite my recent efforts (sold 4 Canadians) the fleet appears to be getting bigger!!

The boat I paddle seems to depend on my mood as much as where I'm headed.

Thanks very much Lennart, I'd seen the reviews but it still good to hear it on SOTP.

I love mine 17 feet version. it is big, dry, not slow agile. well if you have the monney and space why not. go for it I love to hear how it paddles.

ps to the rest of the world (on request they still build the 17 in composites as well.

@Lennart, I guess it's time we paddle our boat together again then ;-)