Thread: No need for the access questionaire - AGM minutes

Default No need for the access questionaire - AGM minutes

It looks like this years BCU AGM was as well attended as ever, the board and 3 other people.

If my club AGM was as poorly attended as this, the committee would be asking itself why the members appear so disenfranchised and would be asking the members what they could do to improve attendance and get the members involved in the governance, organisation and running of their organisation - unfortunately I dont think the BCU / CE is that bothered. Surely the easiest way to improve attendance would be to link the AGM with an event that paddlers will be attending.

Anyway, key point is that we dont have to worry about finding out what paddlers actually want re access as, according to Brian Chapman the BCU Chirman, the BCU is "providing a good service to its members." We can all sleep easy now.

The one thing you can say though, at least it appears as if the AGM doesn't take long.

Mike

MINUTES OF THE THIRTY-SECOND
    ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING,
    ON SATURDAY 3 MARCH 2012, AT 2PM
    AT THE SCOTTISH CANOE ASSOCIATION
    CALEDONIA HOUSE
    1 REDHEUGHS RIGG
    SOUTH GYLE
    EDINBURGH
    EH12 9DQ
    MINUTES

1 WELCOME BY THE BCU PRESIDENT, MR ALBERT WOODS
    Albert Woods, President, welcomed everyone to the 32nd Annual General Meeting. The meeting was attended by all members of the BCU Board, plus Duncan Winning, Kelso Riddell and Stuart Smith. Apologies were noted from Alan Laws and Malcolm Kerry.
    Albert also informed the meeting that 29 valid proxy votes had been received, all in favour of the Chairman.

2 TO APPOINT TELLERS FOR THE MEETING
    Duncan Winning was appointed as Teller for the meeting.

3 TO ADOPT THE MINUTES OF THE THIRTY-FIRST ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
    It was agreed to accept the minutes of the 31st AGM. This was proposed by Brian Chapman and seconded by Alan Baker.

4 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE THIRTY-FIRST ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
    There were no matters arising.

5 TO ADOPT THE 32nd ANNUAL REPORT OF THE BCU BOARD FOR THE YEAR 1 NOVEMBER 2010 TO 31 OCTOBER 2011.
    Brian Chapman, BCU Chairman, reminded the meeting that the Annual Report had been available to all for some time now. He stated that the report clearly demonstrates that the organisation continues to grow, is achieving significant success across the disciplines, and is providing a good service to its members.
    Brian informed the meeting that the BCU had celebrated its 75th Anniversary in November. This milestone had been celebrated by a gala dinner and awards ceremony.
    Another success of the year had been the opening of the Lee Valley White Water Centre which will be used for the Slalom events at the 2012 London Olympics, and later, will be the venue for the 2015 Canoe Slalom World Championships.
    GB Canoeing had a hugely successful season, winning a host of medals across all the disciplines.
    The Annual Report was then officially adopted. This was proposed by Dave Belbin and seconded by David Gent.

6 TO ADOPT THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR, 1 NOVEMBER 2010 TO 31 OCTOBER 2011
    David Belbin, BCU Treasurer, stated that the accounts had been adopted by the Board, and had been successfully signed off by the BCU’s auditors. Furthermore, he stated that the Union is once again in a strong financial position, with reserves and cash in the bank.
    He also explained that BCU received increased funding from Sport England and UK Sport and that our current activity is in line with this increased income.
    Duncan Winning then asked the Treasurer if coaching activity in North America had any effect on our budget. Dave informed him that this made no significant impact. However, the whole position in terms of coaching in North America is currently being looked at, to ensure that it is set up in the best possible way.
    The accounts were then officially adopted. This was proposed by Andy Maxted and seconded by Phil Blain.

7 DECLARATION OF THE RESULT OF THE ELECTION FOR THE BCU TREASURERR
    It was advised that there had been 1 nomination for the post of Treasurer: Dave Belbin. Dave was duly re-elected for a further 2 year term.

8 TO APPOINT ‘HAYSMACINTYRE’ AS THE AUDITORS FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR 1 NOVEMBER 2011 TO 31 OCTOBER 2012, AND TO AUTHORISE THE DIRECTORS TO FIX THEIR REMUNERATION
    It was agreed that ‘haysmacintyre’ be appointed auditors for the financial year 1 November 2011 to 31 October 2012, and that the BCU may fix their remuneration. This was proposed by Dave Belbin and seconded by David Gent.

Paul Owen, BCU Chief Executive, was then presented with the BCU’s highest award, ‘The Award of Honour.’ The award was presented to him by Albert Woods, who stated that Paul joined the BCU 20 years ago, at which time the organisation was much less financially successful. However, under Paul’s leadership, it has seen huge growth across all of the 4 Home Nations; much of this success must be attributed to Paul’s leadership skills.
    Paul is extremely well respected within and out with the sport, and the meeting agreed that he thoroughly deserved this particular award.

Thanks for posting. Not sure I would have voted to give Paul Owen an award. Access progress in the last 20 years zero.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

To say the meeting wouldn't last long.....

Quite apt that it was the "thirty second" AGM!

Ho hum

I reckon that was probably shorter than our club AGMs.

But the BCU AGMs are simply a requirement of company law, they have never been designed as venues for obtaining feedback from the membership. Actually, the method for obtaining feedback seems to be designed to water down anything controversial. I know it's been discussed, but anyone care to offer a simple explanation?

Default P,f,l,o,p

Thanks for posting, did they say where next years meeting will be held ?

No but:

2008 Cardiff
    2009 Windsor
    2010 London
    2011 London
    2012 Scotland

My guess is possibly Wales again, maybe Norn Iron

As somone who has attended a BCU AGM, I can tell you it lasts about 5-10 minutes at most. It sole purpose is to meet legal requirements. None the less, it is membership apathy which allows it to remain a rubber stamp.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Brian informed the meeting that the BCU had celebrated its 75th Anniversary in November. This milestone had been celebrated by a gala dinner and awards ceremony.
    That's nice to hear. Who paid for this?

This milestone had been celebrated by a gala dinner and awards ceremony.
    Can't remember getting an invite....

I think it's rather well done. So often these days, I find myself so bogged down in woffle that I can't actually get anything done. Well done Mr Chairman for keeping the main meeting brief. No doubt the opportunity to go into greater detail will arise at the regional meetings.

I hope your not holding your breath....

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Not sure I would have voted to give Paul Owen an award. Access progress in the last 20 years zero.
    Perhaps he'll have to give it back, as it doesn't look like he's doing such a good job in other areas either (perhaps he's a bit young for the job)...

Multiple world champion and Canoeing Olympian Ivan Lawler has described how

"management have allowed a contest of egos and arrogance to take precedence over the real job at hand which is to qualify places for Team GB at the Olympics"

and why

"It is the end of a long road of wasted money, wasted talent and bad management."

Full report here.