Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Links to online Canoe Films

For the folks that enjoy canoe traveling with their children...

Link:

Experiencing the Nahanni

Link:

Ok, this isn't a canoe video as such but it is filmed in a popular canoe destination...

Link: https://vimeo.com/64197662

Four on the French...

You Tube links:

Last edited by scoutmaster; 17th-April-2016 at 06:42 AM.

"The Canoe Boys" were much on Gavin Millar​'s mind during his 1,000 mile sail up the East Coast in 2012. Writing of the leg he completed with Keith Morris​ from Scarborough to Runswick bay, he asked "Was The Canoe Boys ever like like this?" (source) and the blog of his trip ended with a direct reference:

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Millar
    This voyage of mine has not finished [...] However [...] I hope what I’ve achieved may inspire [...]. I’m not in the same league, but I feel I can say I’ve made a passable attempt at following in the tradition of the ‘Canoe Boys’ and John McGregor.
    Source: http://canoesailor.com/blog/?p=1165

Tonight, an "Adventure Show special" apparently recreates the 1934 journey Gavin mentions. It's sold as "one of the great pioneering journeys of Scottish canoeing"...

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    It's been more than 80 years since friends Alastair Dunnett and Seumas Adam set off from Glasgow in 1934 to paddle round the west coast from Crinan to Skye. With little experience on the sea, many thought they'd never navigate Scotland's most notoriously difficult waters in their primitive Lochaber canoes, but the friends proved everyone wrong.

Both fledgling journalists at the time - Dunnett later went on to edit the Daily Record and the Scotsman - the lads funded their trip by writing about their adventures. Their exploits captivated the nation's imagination and they became known simply as The Canoe Boys.

Fast forward eight decades and ex-Hearts and Hibs midfielder Michael, an inexperienced paddler, takes on the exact same challenge with the help of expert kayaker Brian.

Their boats come courtesy of apprentices at the Scottish Boat Building School, based at the Maritime Museum in Irvine. They spent months making replica Lochaber canoes just like the ones used by Dunnett and Adam but, being a far cry from today's hi-tech boats, they bring their own problems in particularly treacherous stretches.

It's a steep learning curve for Sportscene pundit Michael who hasn't been in a canoe since he was a boy. As his strength and endurance is tested to the limit, frustrations rise to the surface - and there's the small matter of seasickness to overcome too. 'Once I was a professional footballer with a bit of a short fuse,' he says. 'Now I'm a novice paddler and I'm still not always in control.'

With stunning scenery and poignant recollections from the original trip, there's input from Dunnett's son Ninian and Adam's daughter Ailish, both immensely proud of their fathers' achievements.

Programme makers also meet Duncan McGilp, now 90, who recalls standing on the quayside at Tobermory as an eight-year-old boy to welcome the original Canoe Boys to Mull.
    So... the journey being recreated was around the west coast from Crinan to Skye... which makes it reminiscent of the first major OCSG expedition (from Crinan to Portree).

According to the BBC website, the new show should be available to view online "shortly after broadcast" - though perhaps not indefinitely. Fortunately, download (for long term storage) may be an option

Default Keewaydin Channel

A few good short youtube vids to mooch through here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0s...Xvs6oRi1rs10eg

Kids doing some trips in Canada - Cedar Canvas boats, wood wannigans, a few canvas packs, a few trips in the 45 - 60 day length ... All good stuff to be out doing!

Vimeo description - 35 years after their first visit to the Noatak River in Alaska's wild and spectacular Brooks Range, two adventurers in their 70's reflect on a lifetime of outdoor experiences and what still awaits them.

In this 14-minute short film, the filmmakers behind MILE... MILE & A HALF follow these friends along one of the longest rivers in the US unaltered by civilization.

This one is nicely filmed

https://vimeo.com/shiningtree/nine-rivers

Quote Originally Posted by scoutmaster View Post

Vimeo description - 35 years after their first visit to the Noatak River in Alaska's wild and spectacular Brooks Range, two adventurers in their 70's reflect on a lifetime of outdoor experiences and what still awaits them.

In this 14-minute short film, the filmmakers behind MILE... MILE & A HALF follow these friends along one of the longest rivers in the US unaltered by civilization.
    That was such a lovely film. Very inspiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of artistic license taken here but a nice little film and a lovely little canoe.

I have just realised that there is a second page to this forum and discovered a whole new set of films to watch :-)
    Last edited by bobt; 20th-October-2016 at 09:54 PM.

If this one isn't on here already then it should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4wJ2AThDjc

Default The canoe film

Love it. It resonates with my own emotions about the canoe and the places it takes us.

Links to old Grand Canyon films just added below but also archived here:

Ray Mears builds a birch bark canoe

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6270921P9...irchbark+Canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    These old films look to be worth a watch. Been watching the Verdon Gorge one. Kayaks, but this was pioneering stuff for recreational paddlers at the time.

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/r...ck-collection/
    Source: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...g-at-the-back)

Edwardian canoeist and filmmaker Oliver Cock started releasing films of recreational kayaking in the 1940s before becoming coach to the British slalom team (1953) and then the first Director of Coaching for the British Canoe Union (1962) - and his films are now online!

The early films of getting about in the UK have been gathered together as Canoe Trips of the 1940s & 1950s.:

For those not familiar with the history / context:

Quote Originally Posted by International Whitewater Hall of Fame
    Oliver J. Cockís many contributions to whitewater kayaking became an integral part of the foundations of the British Canoe Union (BCU). His contributions ranged from filming and documenting whitewater expeditions and training to developing the proficiency program and tests that became the foundation for BCUís certification and training programs. His whitewater films, many from the 1940ís and 1950ís provide a valuable documentation and history of early whitewater paddling and training.

As the first slalom coach for the BCU team in 1953, he successfully developed the slalom program through his coaching efforts that enabled Britain to win its first World Championship medal in 1959. His appointment as the First Director of Coaching in 1962 gave an added drive to what was to become a very powerful teaching program, particularly for whitewater paddling. Cock later became the BCU national coach teaching schoolteachers across the country to teach canoeing safely.[/INDENT]The films have been made available by canoeist and film-maker Chris Hawkesworth. He acquired them in the 1960s, then conducted interviews in 1988 to produce commentary / soundtracks. This year, he had them all digitised.
    One of the finest dates from 1952 and shows the very early days of canoe / kayak surfing:

Skip to @ 18 minutes to see the open canoe side of things...

We also get to see vacations in Scotland...

...but also road trips to [/FONT]
    Duoro in Portugal, through the Verdon Gorge in Southern France, and across a succession of Alpine Passes between Switzerland and Italy.

[FONT=&amp]This one perhaps best captures the spirit of such adventures:

I've written far more - and included links to all of the films - on the Yorkshire and Humberside Web Page: https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/regi ... ollection/

The YouTube Playlist starts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuRmzEl ... 5D_Ji1e4u7

Aussie adventurer Malcolm Douglas and 2 aboriginal pals haul canoes down the remote Charnley river and then outrigger down the Kimberley Coast.
    Lots of portage and bushtucker, sharks and crocs. (In 2 parts)

Certainly not for the feint hearted! Not sure I'd have wanted to be one of those turtles. Those canoes lookked pretty robust and the ability t add outriggers and outboards seemed fairly unique? In any case, the films were clearly "of their time" and I wonder what a similar journey would look like today?

Been watching a lot of MD's amazing archive which has appeared on YT lately (mostly 4WD and motorboats - one similar area with kayaks).
    You won't see docs made like that anymore. Some of it shocking, but also historically fascinating wrt Aborigines.

Yes. I'm not familiar with Australian Aborigine culture and I wonder how many of the younger generation could do what those two guys in the film were doing?

Going solo: Ok, so not a canoeing film but kayaking one. However it is a good little film and it does have some relevance for many of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12