Thread: Just some simple advice please.

Default Just some simple advice please.

Hi ,
    My dad is 77 this year and not as agile as he thinks he is, I would like to take him around some of the Scottish coastline this summer in a sail canoe,
    We cant afford a solway so I will have to make most of the bits and bobs myself, I am carpenter and used to teach sailing for a no. of years.
    Could anyone advise me on the best sort of canoe for the job, i.e. suitable for both of us, plastic against fibreglass etc the more I look into it the more confused I get. Also if anyone has a canoe or any other attachments needed for sale I will be more than pleased for any help.
    cheers Matt.

Hi Matt, my dad is also 77 and is currently out in the alps skiing so I'd say if your dad's reasonably fit then why not? As far as canoes go for two persons plus kit you're going to need something big. Keith (Windorpaddle) has a huge canoe that he uses to sail very effectively with his wife along at times but canoes over 16 feet are quite few and far between in my experience so you may have to search for one. Graham D from the OCSG (he's not a member of SOTP but does lurk) built his own set up using a Pelican canoe (rebranded Coleman) as a base and using a GP14 Genoa as a mainsail initially and later a Topper sail. He's now upgraded to a Solway Dory rig on the same canoe and says it is better but the other sails did the job well enough. You'll probably be able to pick up a suitable sail on ebay for not much. Graham built most of the other bits himself based on what he'd seen other OCSG members using successfully (often Solway Dory's superb components). There's some info on Grahams boat here http://www.ocsg.org.uk/members-boats/graham-d/ . If you could manage to get along to an OCSG meet you'd be made very welcome and get a wealth of advice and knowledge from looking at members canoes (there's a meet at Bala 11-13 May which would be quite handy for you). There's also loads of info and pics (and discussion) on Fredsters excellent thread about his build here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ision-welcome! .
    As far as materials for sailing canoes go, plastic canoes are usually made from PE which is cheap and tough but heavy and difficult to repair or Royalex which is lighter, also fairly tough and can be repaired up to a point but is more expensive than PE. Plastic boats are not as stiff as glassfibre hulls so less efficient but glassfibre hulls are easier to damage on rocks etc than plastic boats (conversely though glassfibre is a lot easier to fix if you do damage it). I hope this helps, I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to offer further advice. Keep us updated on your progress and good luck.

What about building a Selway Fisher waterman 16? This set of pictures inspired me to buy the plans to make one, I then was lucky enough to purchase a Solway Dory canoe so never went through with the build. (is who ever built that in the OGSC?)

link to Selway-Fisher's Waterman 16 web page
    Last edited by unk tantor; 17th-March-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by unk tantor View Post
    (is who ever built that in the OGSC?)
    I mean the OCSG

I agree with what Jurassic and Unk have said. When i started i couldnt afford to buy so i made a Selway Fisher Waterman. It is still going strong some 18years later. I wouldn't go less than 16ft, and the larger canoes will work better for two.
    It would be worth while coming along to an OCSG meet to see what other people have done.
    The calendar of events is on the website.
    There may also be a second hand one for sale that you could afford on the marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by unk tantor View Post
    (is who ever built that in the OGSC?)
    Ah that must be the "Old Guys Sailing Club" then! (I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't highlighted it).

Just looked on the Marketplace and the first boat, Slithy Tove, is a very suitable craft for two to go canoe sailing up the West Coast of Scotland. We used it a few years ago, two up, for a weeks camping trip before we sold it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    Ah that must be the "Old Guys Sailing Club" then!
    "Old Geezers" if you please, I am in Saff London after all...

My cheap and cheerful plastic Venture Ranger 16 sails well and was easy to convert into a sailing canoe. They are bullet proof, used by scout groups and canoe hire companies, weighs about 36kgs when they come, (About 7kgs more than the light stuff), are made from CoreLite a triple layer Polyethelene sandwich construction with buoyant foam layer in the middle for buoyancy and have a moderate rocker giving good stability.
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...303#post385303

If you want to spend time building your own canoe and have something you can be proud of, then fine, but if you just want to get onto the water fast for little money and have something reasonable, have a look on fleebay for something 16-foot long or above and fit it out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Just looked on the Marketplace and the first boat, Slithy Tove, is a very suitable craft for two to go canoe sailing up the West Coast of Scotland. We used it a few years ago, two up, for a weeks camping trip before we sold it on.
    That'd be an excellent cruising canoe if you could afford it and far more seaworthy and capable than an open boat for use on the west coast of Scotland. You wouldn't need to add anything either, it comes with all the bits required, you could literally just pack the boat and go.