Thread: A short video

Default A short video

I'd like to do more such as a documentary. Though at the moment this will have to wait due to some life issues. Maybe someone will find a use for this. Maybe some will disagree with the wording (so be it).
    http://vimeo.com/fiveelement/ukriveraccess

My only suggestion would be to flow the text rather than put one part of a sentance on at a time. There's nothing else to look at, so you could put the entire sentance on the screen at a time. Maybe also show different aspects of rivers so that more people can associate with the cause. By that I mean the rushing river you have there, then some shots of a fish in clear water, and wide open rivers where people COULD be having fun or relaxing.

This is how I want that particular video to look.

Well done, Simon!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    This is how I want that particular video to look.
    Will there be others?
    Keith

I'd like to do other more detailed videos. But the message in them has to be presented in a bite sized way. The general public needs a defined uncluttered message in order to pique their attention. So if people can link to this video from their sites, Facebook etc and send it to their non paddling friends, that would be great.

i put here my question (maybe not the good thread)
    well what about the european law " 2006 law about the water " ?
    say in all the european union the water is (river) for all, ans you can't be owner of the water ! but just owner of the land. and th obligation if the river can be paddling to keep clear the bank clear .............

Interesting & very well made. I would suggest you consider the use of some of the words if you want to appeal to (or be understood by) the masses. To most (me included), Riparian Owners means nothing and I had to look the word up . Similarly, many won't understand draconian.

Sorry Jean but I don't follow what you're referring to. Can you provide a link (in French will do).

Thanks for raising it.
    Keith

Jean, I cannot find any reference to the law that you are referring to. Do you have any links to any information about it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    I would suggest you consider the use of some of the words if you want to appeal to (or be understood by) the masses.
    I really like the feel of the video - the atmoshpere it creates countered with the stark message is great. I would agree with MaxiP though, that for more universal appeal, maybe a simpler message?

Really well put together and a brilliant, but simple concept. I'll be getting the other half to put it on her FB page (as I don't indulge).

With all due humility might I just make a suggestion that you consult the spell checker before putting up a video? It spoils an otherwise professional quality piece of PR for access issues.
    'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis

I've just begun reading about the access issue on this site. It is something I was not aware of, like most Americans I suppose. I think your video does a great job of putting things in perspective. I feel for all of you in this situation.

I agree with the second post, the text needs revising a little. You stop in the wrong places for what would read better as a whole sentence. Other than that, its a good job, thanks for posting.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    I agree with the second post, the text needs revising a little. You stop in the wrong places for what would read better as a whole sentence. Other than that, its a good job, thanks for posting.
    I agree with the above........good start though.

Environment

Default First thoughts

On third viewing I decided I really like it.

Nevertheless, I may be doing you a disservice if I don't mention some of my first viewing thoughts.

1. The average person might think it madness to want to access that particular rapid. They will think danger not fun.
    2. It didn't clearly differentiate between right to navigate versus desire to access banks (do you wish to?).
    3. It mentioned canoeists, swimmers and sailors. What about people with dogs, kids playing in water etc. In short, could you make the general public feel it affects them (us!) even beyond your valid comment about taxes and EA.

Would it help to put your script on here for some editing suggestions?

I certainly don't wish to undermine the simplicity of the message which is one of the things that makes it really good. Likewise, just in case comment 1 above suggests otherwise, I feel the video imagery is exactly right - it is just the words that need some tweaking.

Hope this helps and most of all, well done

You stop in the wrong places for what would read better as a whole sentence.
    Too much text on the screen at once is not good with video. I don't want to sound curt as I appreciate the suggestions everyone has given, but I am going through a trying time at the moment with family affairs, so don't really have time to keep making micro adjustments to the video. I will upload one more version with the spelling mistake corrected and a couple of other word changes, but it will have to remain at that for the time being.

consult the spell checker before putting up a video?
    No spell checkers in a motion graphics app I'm afraid. It just got muddled due to slow keyboard response and I didn't spot the mistake.

1. The average person might think it madness to want to access that particular rapid. They will think danger not fun.
    That as may be. It's a nice looking river (the Irfon), and the only shot I have taken that can be used in that way. All other shots I have have identifiable kayakers in shot who will not want to be shown.

2. It didn't clearly differentiate between right to navigate versus desire to access banks (do you wish to?).
    That's not the sort of detail that can be explained in such a video. The point is to alert people to the fact that there is an issue and to direct them to sites where they can find out more, such as the detail you mention.

3. It mentioned canoeists, swimmers and sailors. What about people with dogs, kids playing in water etc. In short, could you make the general public feel it affects them (us!) even beyond your valid comment about taxes and EA.
    I can't cover everyone. As long as people get the jist and realise that there is an issue then the video has done it's job.

Really like your video .
    You should also state that you would like to enjoy the same access rights that we enjoy in Scotland.
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Simon
    I really like your video. I haven't seen anything that tells the access story in a such a clear and simple way... and the backdrop of the beautiful flowing water is wonderful. Well done.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Sorry, but it doesn't play on my system, just keeps hicking and farting, probably because its HD I suspect.

Maybe worth considering an alternative, non HD version so everyone can watch it?

good effort for taking the time to do it regardless

kind regards

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Simon great work. Thank you for taking the time to produce this video. I am sharing it wherever I can.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Maybe worth considering an alternative, non HD version so everyone can watch it?
    There is a none HD version. Just unclick the "HD" letters

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    There is a none HD version. Just unclick the "HD" letters

Ah!.....er....yes...er I knew that, I was er....just testing?

Right then, I've just watched it and I think its a stirling effort but agree with those who have mentioned the sentences being split.

It makes it a little awkward to follow through, but otherwise it looks really good to me.

well done indeed

cheers

Steve
    Last edited by rancid badger; 18th-March-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: just watched

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

i think the split sentences are good, they engage your attention and make you concentrate... very subtle marketing technique
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Good work. Nice and concise. :-)

Nice work. Have it posted in my FB page
    "If you are not part of the solution, maybe you are part of the problem!"

Recreational paddler & outdoor activity instructor

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    Sorry Jean but I don't follow what you're referring to. Can you provide a link (in French will do).

Thanks for raising it.
    hi
    the memento about the french legislationhttp://www.ffck.org/renseigner/savoi...T%20060409.pdf
    this law is in correlation with the European directive concerning "la lois sur l'eau 2006" directive 2000/60/CE of the European Parliament
    directive 2000/60/ce
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0072:EN:PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Hi, I agree too.

Good idea, done well though. It would be good to show clips of intimidation in the course of access cut into it if anyone has any.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Good work. Nicely done.