Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: EA crackdown on the Avon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    717

    Default EA crackdown on the Avon

    EA crackdown on Avon

    http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/137789.aspx

    Bristol man makes history by becoming first angler to be prosecuted for trying to pervert the course of justice



    07-Mar-2012

    Angler Shaun Brindle thought he'd found the perfect ruse after he was seen fishing on the River Avon during the closed season without a licence and using an illegal bait - he'd pretend to be someone else!

    But Brindle, 28, had under-estimated the persistence and professionalism of an Environment Agency bailiff who brought the evasive angler to justice after exposing his false identity.

    On May 7, 2011 Brindle was fishing from a boat with a friend near Keynsham when they were spotted by an Agency bailiff who told them to stop because it was the closed season that runs from March 15 – June 15.

    They were asked to move the boat to a nearby mooring so the bailiff could talk to them properly. Brindle agreed and after packing up his fishing gear started the boat engine and headed upstream to moor by the lock gates of the Kennet and Avon Canal.

    The bailiff walked up the opposite bank and arrived at the lock gates to discover the boat and two anglers had gone. It was later found moored near the Old Lock & Weir public house upstream of Hanham Lock. The bailiff noted the boat’s name, ’Jasmine Sea Otter’, and saw it contained several fishing rods, some tackle and empty can of luncheon meat.

    He told the owner of a nearby boat he intended to seize the Jasmine Sea Otter. The person said he could contact the anglers and agreed to pass the bailiff’s mobile phone number to them. Shaun Brindle later rang the bailiff, but refused to give his name. When told the owner of the boat could be traced through its British Waterways registration number, Brindle gave the boat owner’s name instead of his own.

    Brindle confirmed he and the second man had been fishing and had valid rod licences. They had used luncheon meat and sweet corn as baits and hadn’t realised it was the closed season. Luncheon meat is banned as a bait under a local fishing byelaw.

    On June 11, 2011 Brindle was interviewed under caution. Once again he identified himself as the boat owner and signed a statement using that name. Two days later the bailiff was contacted by the real boat owner who apologised that his craft had been used for illegal fishing and said it would not happen again. He confirmed he was not the person the bailiff had seen fishing on May 7 and said he had allowed some friends to borrow his boat on that day.

    ‘Providing false personal details to escape prosecution is a serious offence. The defendant was given every opportunity to give an honest account of his actions, but chose instead to assume a false identity in an attempt to pervert the course of justice,’ said Chris Povey for the Environment Agency.

    Appearing before Bristol Crown Court, Brindle, of Sunningdale Drive, Warmley, Bristol was given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £500 costs after pleading guilty to perverting the course of justice. The case was heard on Monday (March 5).

    Several rod anglers have been prosecuted by the Environment Agency for fishing on the River Avon during the closed season. They were caught during a crackdown by bailiffs who have been working closely with the local fishing association. A photo of Brindle and his accomplice fishing from the ‘Jasmine Sea Otter’ is available from the Environment Agency regional press office on 01392 442008.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Well done the EA but the guy got away lightly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ipswich, Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    £500 for a days fishing? Not that lightly...
    ___________________________________

    Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pershore, Worcestershire
    Posts
    5,441

    Default

    Just to be clear, he was prosecuted and convicted for perverting the course of justice, i.e. giving a false identity to an officer of the law, not for fishing illegally?
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Just to be clear, he was prosecuted and convicted for perverting the course of justice, i.e. giving a false identity to an officer of the law, not for fishing illegally?

    Exactly. Many have received prison sentences.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    21,969

    Default

    Nice to see the EA acting correctly, but this isn't really relevant to the Access Campaign? Its not paddlers v fishermen.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Keynsham near Bristol
    Posts
    3,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Its not paddlers v fishermen.
    Neither is the Access Campaign.
    Last edited by KeithD; 13th-March-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Keith

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    21,969

    Default

    That's what I mean Keith, we shouldn't really be getting excited about illegal fishing, we should be concentrating on our own cause which is nothing to do with fishing, though i accept some battles are caused by it.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    errrr.....not really relevant in any way, but I'm incredibly curious.....why is "luncheon meat" (whatever that may be.. ) banned as bait ??

    We have strict bans on such things as live bait (e.g. minnows etc ) in certain areas because if they are released alive, it will introduce a non-native species, potentially, into that specific lake or river.

    But...'luncheon meat'.......?????

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pershore, Worcestershire
    Posts
    5,441

    Default

    On most rivers, luncheon meat (Spam) is banned as a bait - along with lots of other baits - during the closed season for coarse fish. Anglers are only allowed to fish for coarse fish using one technique - legering - and with one bait - worms - during the closed season, ostensibly with the purpose of catching eels.

    At least, that what the situation used to be. I think it still is.
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    SPAM !!??!!?? ewwwwww.......and, EELS ????....ewwwwwwwwww, again.


    If I live to be 150 years old, I will still NEVER understand Brit fisher-folk..........


    Always sounds a bit like that fox-hunt thing: "...the unspeakable pursuing the inedible" .....

    Doesn't anybody just go catch a bass, or a couple of nice perch, or a trout or two...and just take 'em home & eat 'em..????


    Thanks for the clarification, though....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    4,824

    Default

    The oil in meat baits does'nt do the water quality any good nor does having piles of uneaten bait festering on the river bed.Apparently a few years back the hormones that the pigs were fed were becoming present in the water and affecting the fishes health.A two tin limit was put on but some people were abusing the rule so a total ban was introduced.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    4,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post

    Doesn't anybody just go catch a bass, or a couple of nice perch, or a trout or two...and just take 'em home & eat 'em..????
    Some of us do

  14. #14
    Crow's Avatar
    Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    16,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    SPAM !!??!!?? ewwwwww.......and, EELS ????....ewwwwwwwwww, again.


    If I live to be 150 years old, I will still NEVER understand Brit fisher-folk..........


    Always sounds a bit like that fox-hunt thing: "...the unspeakable pursuing the inedible" .....

    Doesn't anybody just go catch a bass, or a couple of nice perch, or a trout or two...and just take 'em home & eat 'em..????


    Thanks for the clarification, though....
    I live here and I don't.

    I wonder why the guy didn't claim to have eaten the Spam himself?

    Is it so inedible that he would be laughed out of court?

    Could innocent canoeists be arrested for trafficking Spam in their lunch boxes/wannigans? Or worse, be accused of being Spam dealers? Is Spam the new horse? Are there rednecks in shacks in the woods with home made Spam labs, creating low grade Spam out of industrial chemicals??

    Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it


    Crow Trip Log

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pershore, Worcestershire
    Posts
    5,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    The oil in meat baits does'nt do the water quality any good nor does having piles of uneaten bait festering on the river bed.Apparently a few years back the hormones that the pigs were fed were becoming present in the water and affecting the fishes health.A two tin limit was put on but some people were abusing the rule so a total ban was introduced.
    Luncheon meat is banned - or limited - on many commercial still-water fisheries, but I do not believe it is banned on rivers.

    A few years ago, I read that a significant amount of oestrogen was entering our rivers as a consequence of the increased use of contraceptive pills. According to the article, the elevated oestrogen levels were causing large numbers of male fish to become female! The writer was concerned that fish numbers would fall dramatically! And to think that we swim in the same water every time we capsize!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    4,824

    Default

    Apparently it's banned on the Avon near Keynsham under a local by-law ?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    errrr.....not really relevant in any way, but I'm incredibly curious.....why is "luncheon meat" (whatever that may be.. ) banned as bait ??

    We have strict bans on such things as live bait (e.g. minnows etc ) in certain areas because if they are released alive, it will introduce a non-native species, potentially, into that specific lake or river.

    But...'luncheon meat'.......?????
    There's an epidemic of luncheon meat consumption by "chafs" [sic] on a river near me: http://riverkennet.blogspot.com/2011...e-on-hold.html. They also picnic on Spam (usually downed with copious quantities of beer), but hey, I remember picking up a tourist brochure at O'Hare for a Spam museum somewhere in IL or MN; in the UK old Spam/luncheon meat cans are more highly regarded for their contribution to the aesthetic appeal of river bank undergrowth.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Luncheon meat is banned - or limited - on many commercial still-water fisheries, but I do not believe it is banned on rivers.

    A few years ago, I read that a significant amount of oestrogen was entering our rivers as a consequence of the increased use of contraceptive pills. According to the article, the elevated oestrogen levels were causing large numbers of male fish to become female! The writer was concerned that fish numbers would fall dramatically! And to think that we swim in the same water every time we capsize!
    There was a documentary on the box a couple of years back where they put a cage with a few fish in near an oulet pipe (containing effluent) for a period of time. The water had some much estrogen in the fish changed sex.
    Didn't realise it applied to fish who were on the pill too!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
    There's an epidemic of luncheon meat consumption by "chafs" [sic] on a river near me: http://riverkennet.blogspot.com/2011...e-on-hold.html. They also picnic on Spam (usually downed with copious quantities of beer), but hey, I remember picking up a tourist brochure at O'Hare for a Spam museum somewhere in IL or MN; in the UK old Spam/luncheon meat cans are more highly regarded for their contribution to the aesthetic appeal of river bank undergrowth.

    O...M....G.... "thanks" (not.... ) for that link. That is DISGUSTING !!!!! Who are these "chafs" (and what the H*ll does "chaf" mean ???).

    If someone did that up on some of my favorite lakes, I'd just plain shoot the f*ckers. Jesus wept.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Coventry (from Stoke on Trent)
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Chaf - No idea
    Chav - if they mean that, is a poorly educated vulgar, angry, aggressive, disrespectful, ignorant young adult/teenager if googled) but thankfully not all.
    I didnt now they ate spam though.

    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Saint_Chav
    Ratty (Russ)

    I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blairgowrie, east Perthshire
    Posts
    487

    Default

    As we're now well off topic can I ask what powerbait is? Spotted a sign by a loch on the Isle of Bute last week that said No Powerbait. (and no, it wasn't a misprint for powerboat ...)

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Just to be clear, he was prosecuted and convicted for perverting the course of justice, i.e. giving a false identity to an officer of the law, not for fishing illegally?

    Some chap on the box last night was saying that perverting the course of justice was a MUCH worse crime than phone hacking.....

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Some of us do

    Mee too!

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Luncheon meat is banned - or limited - on many commercial still-water fisheries, but I do not believe it is banned on rivers.

    A few years ago, I read that a significant amount of oestrogen was entering our rivers as a consequence of the increased use of contraceptive pills. According to the article, the elevated oestrogen levels were causing large numbers of male fish to become female! The writer was concerned that fish numbers would fall dramatically! And to think that we swim in the same water every time we capsize!

    Oestrogen is even in the drinking water! Unless you use your Lifesaver Bottle with the extra carbon filter!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    4,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    As we're now well off topic can I ask what powerbait is? Spotted a sign by a loch on the Isle of Bute last week that said No Powerbait. (and no, it wasn't a misprint for powerboat ...)
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...bait/powerbait

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •