Thread: DEFRA Red Tape Challenge water and marine theme spotlight

Default DEFRA Red Tape Challenge water and marine theme spotlight

In case you missed it (I had, although it was on the CE Facebook page on 23rd Feb.), we're now well into a five week period where DEFRA are focusing their Red Tape Challenge on water and marine issues. As Richard Benyon's letter puts it
    The Water and Marine theme will be in the spotlight from 17 February till the 23 March and will include: flood and coastal erosion; water quality; water resource; inland waterways*, fisheries and marine conservation.

We are looking to all of our stakeholders – the public, businesses, representative bodies and non-governmental organisations – to tell us how our regulations are working in practice and what can be done to improve them. The more specific you can be the better – we want to make a real difference to how we achieve our objectives.
    *my emphasis.

21 public responses so far (only 1 paddler), but you can bet there will have been private submissions from the likes of the CLA calling for such as VAA's as an 'improvement in regulations' (see section 5.3, page 21, here). I look forward to seeing the BCU submission, but there's nothing to stop you adding your suggestions, either privately or in public.

We all ought to get on to this. Feel free to base comments you make on mine, or better still make more points and make them better.
    Sam

thanks Sam... just made a contribution
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Made my contribution too. I would urge all people who care about access to fill this in. And do not forget to add keyword tags in the field at the bottom. There is a tag cloud at the top of the page that emphasises the most common tags with the size of the font. So the more times "access" appears or "recreational access" etc the ore prominent it will be.

Thanks for raising this. I'll be emailing a link to all those I know that paddle to make their contributions too.

Added a brief contribution. No doubt the same passionate few will bother but it's a start.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Added a brief contribution. No doubt the same passionate few will bother but it's a start.

... but if we don't bother, it will be the end
    Sam

Don't forget to add "access" to your tags.

They have asked for our input! If we can't be bothered to tell them we will have no-one to blame but ourselves if they don't get the message.
    Keith

Added my bit
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    They have asked for our input! If we can't be bothered to tell them we will have no-one to blame but ourselves if they don't get the message.
    Very good point. I'm not very good at explaining myself in words, and may not have a full understanding of the issues but I have filled in their request for comments and placed a tag of "access".

For any one else wanting to add a comment on DEFRA / Red Tape site please remember that tags / keywords need to be separated by commas and a sentence doesn't work and I think for our purposes a single tag of access should be adopted.

If you want better access to rivers etc please take 2 minutes to fill in the comment form as others have suggested because as Keith points out if we don't who's fault is that when nothing changes? Don't worry about looking like an ass or having poor spelling and grammar. I see no excuse when the government asks for comments for not filling in a simple form since democracy can't work unless you take part. We all need to make our views known because if we don't a few interest groups or large business will simply get their way.
    --
    Andy

Just added my comments (well mostly Doug's actually ).

The access arrangements for rivers that has been adopted in Scotland should be extended across the UK. This would remedy the current situation where angling clubs and land owners believe that they own the access rights, despite the fact that ancient navigation rights are in force and have not been repealed.

Jon.
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I too have added a contribution.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

and me

dave

One thing I would ask is that if you make a comment there that you actually write your own words! Someone has copied and pasted my response and changed a couple of things, but for the most part their comments are a direct photocopy of my own!

I just tried to post my comments and got notice that page cannot be loaded , some error on thier site ?
    Noel

Added my meagre twopenneth. Slightly disappointed at the very limited response.

Apathy rules!!

Terry

Just checked again and only 19 refer to river access the rest are from live-aboard boaters. So paddlers really are ignoring their chance of a voice.
    Last edited by Izzetafox; 10th-March-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Additional comment.

Two penneth worth added..
    Hind sight is always 20/20

Just checked again and only 19 refer to river access the rest are from live-aboard boaters. So paddlers really are ignoring their chance of a voice.
    As you say, apathy rules. Yet many of the same people who can't be bothered will also be the ones who complain about lack of access.

This is the reason why other water users will always have a greater voice as they will actually campaign and not just talk about it.

Some may have commented privately of course, but yes apathy seems to rule however it also shows that when the CE / BCU etc post links and ask for us to comment (as I think they did) it relies on people seeing their post (news webpage or was it an email / both?). I do believe that they need to highlight it more. Keeping websites and newsletters upto date isn't cheap so I feel it is either a case of:

a) paddlers just aren't bothered about the subject
    b) EA waste money on a website that they don't promote well enough
    c) paddlers don't read much
    d) communication among the community isn't good enough
    e) DEFRA's comings and goings aren't followed by us in general

...or a combination of these and more.

I only knew about the request for comments because of this thread but later found info about it on CE and elsewhere so I know it was there. If forum users don't almost go through all threads systematically things like this can be missed (as I did).

It seems that it doesn't matter where you put out this info (requests to get involved / comment on important issues) it still gets missed. I don't know how or why I didn't see it before this thread.

I think any access campaign ideally needs to get a mailing list done so people that are interested don't miss calls for comment or other important information.

Now, I don't know if http://www.riversaccess.org/ had a mailing list but if it did I think I signed up a year ago, but I don't recall seeing any emails from them so perhaps they don't? Either way I think they ought to have a mailing list.

I may have received a CE email about this subject but I often ignore them as they seem more general or to do with sport....so why not a dedicated access email list?

Either way there is a communication problem that may make it appear like apathy.
    Last edited by andylincs; 12th-March-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Last line added
    --
    Andy