Thread: Lee board ideas advice please

Default Lee board ideas advice please

lee board ideas
    After a very helpeful trip with my boat to see DaveS @ Solway Dory I have opted for their new reefable 35'' Bermudan Expedition Sail.

I have decided to have a go at a leeboard myself. I have a couple of questions.

Whats the main issue of length versus breadth ? Is there an optimum ratio ?

I am wondering about an asymmetric profile - slight hydrofoil to "pull" upwind but of course the benefit would be reversed 50% of the time unless I make it so I can flip the whole lee board on a hinge to reverse the foil or switch sides. Is the hydrofoil effect/ benefit likely to be minimal. I am obviously an amatuer ! Advice appreciated.

A board 8inches wide and 7/8inch thick will profile down to a nice hydrofoil shape and will be plenty strong enough no matter how hard you sail. If you make it much thinner, especially if you use plywood, it may break. About 3ft of board in the water is a good average, with the pivot and handle as extra length. I make them 4ft to 4ft 6inches long overall. This still leaves sufficient board in the water when it is on the upwind side and the canoe is heeled over to leeward.
    A symmetrical hydrofoil works well enough and doesn't need to be changed over every time you tack. Most people use this method as changing over the board as you tack can be a bit of a pain.

Thanks again Dave, don't like to ask you too many questions as I appreciate its your work & livelyhood, not just a hobby. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

It is my work and livelyhood, but also my hobby, so i love talking about it.

5. Default

I've just tested my home made one at the weekend. I made it out of a pine plank, hydro-foiled both edges, varnished it, wrapped a small amount of lead sheet around the bottom (from freecycle) and screwed on. I've got a bit of doubled over biscuit tin fixed to the top, which acts as a hook to clip over the boat. That isn't quite secure enough so I've added a large metal clip to clip it to the rim of the boat, which made it bomb proof but with just enough flex for when it hits the bottom. It seemed to work really well, and we even managed to overtake a sailing dingy class, beating up wind with my 25' Expedition rig, to the disgust of the instructor ! ("Come on, even that canoe is going faster than you !") The only downside is its a bit of a faff to swap from side to side with the clip. I think it will do until I decide whether I want a fixed one, and this piece of equipment seems so vital it might be worth having a spare anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBP View Post
    The only downside is its a bit of a faff to swap from side to side with the clip. I think it will do until I decide whether I want a fixed one, and this piece of equipment seems so vital it might be worth having a spare anyway ?
    It is a bit of a faff as you quite rightly say but it becomes a little easier with practice. I've had a pivoting leeboard since last July and it's a lot more convenient but I still have my SD clip on leeboard as a minimalist paddle sailing option. The only thing that might replace it in that task would be one of the new SD Expedition leeboards (but it won't be anytime soon).