51 lbs (Duralite)
    44 lbs (Kevlar/Epoxy)
    42 lbs (Carbon-Tec)
    Gunwale Width: 35"
    Depth Bow: 20"
    Center: 13.5"
    Stern: 20"

Maker's Write Up
    Ever since the Quetico 17 was introduced in the spring of 2000 it has been getting rave reviews from paddlers and outfitters alike.
    This canoe is fast and incredibly stable. As a result it is excellent for both novices & experienced paddlers.

Whether you are in rough water or fly-fishing from the Quetico 17 you will feel secure at all times. Although there is no "perfect" canoe for all paddling conditions, the Quetico 17 comes close.

We have just got our Quetico 17 - which we believe to be the first in the UK. It looks pretty good in the woven colour green le Tigre Kevlar/Epoxy lay-up with black aluminium gunwales and thwarts. It has the sliding bow seat, which wasn't a requirement for us, but what happened to be on the available model in stock. This is actually very useful for getting the seat in the most comfortable position for bow kneeling although, of course it makes it easier to set for optimum trim if one solo paddled from the bow. The wooden yoke seems to be an improvement on those we have used previously on other Quetico models and is contoured so as to be very comfortable even without yoke pads.
    We chose this canoe after paddling quite a variety of other canoes and even prefer it to the Quetico 16, which even suited us better than a whole variety of other makes of Kevlar canoe. Our requirement is for mainly flat water tandem paddling and for camping trips where we want to portage in Europe and Scandinavia without a trolley. We have already had the chance to paddle it on a rather windy Welsh lake and found that even without any packs as ballast, the stability is much as we remember. It handles really nicely and we love the really light weight (about 46 lbs - the bow slider putting a couple of pounds on the normal 44 lbs) which makes it easy to car top and to portage to and from the water.

Default canoe puchase

Hi there,
    I just wondered where you purchased your canoe from? Did you buy from a uk dealer or import it yourself? I am seriously thinking of buying one so any advice would be great
    Steve

Default Souris River Quetico 17 Purchase Details

I'll PM you with the details, so it does not look like I am trying to advertise on behalf of the dealers etc.

Default quetico infomation

Quote Originally Posted by paddlepair View Post
    I'll PM you with the details, so it does not look like I am trying to advertise on behalf of the dealers etc.
    hi just come across your info on the souris river quetico canoe . could you if possible pm me details. thanks dealer /cost
    A bad days fishing is better than a days work

Default Souris River Quetico 17

Some photos of these canoes in the UK.

These canoes seem to be a LOT tougher than they are given credit for....

http://www.redrockstore.com/canoerep...swoodfalls.htm

Quote Originally Posted by barelyafloat View Post
    These canoes seem to be a LOT tougher than they are given credit for....

http://www.redrockstore.com/canoerep...swoodfalls.htm
    I don't know anyone who says these boats aren't tough. Not anyone I know. If I could afford one I'd have one. Just as tough as Royalex in a hard shell boat, the best of both worlds. If you can afford one, you'd be silly to buy something else.

Sorry if i am missing the obvious but i have had a search and can't find any information about availability and prices for Souris River canoes in the UK, can anybody point me in the right direction please?

Default Buying Souris River canoes

Quote Originally Posted by happy camper View Post
    Sorry if i am missing the obvious but i have had a search and can't find any information about availability and prices for Souris River canoes in the UK, can anybody point me in the right direction please?
    Unless any UK or European dealer is now importing them, then the situation is still that one needs to import from North America. I'll PM you with the details.

Unless any UK or European dealer is now importing them, then the situation is still that one needs to import from North America. I'll PM you with the details.
    It seems a shame if there aren't any dealers over here importing them, they look like lovely boats and the flexible hull sounds like a great idea.

Thanks very much for the PM

My first SRQ17 burned in a garage fire while on vacation in Mexico. Insurance covered the replacement, second had a defect(replaced) and now a green El-Tigre hangs on the garage wall again.
    All from Joe at RedRock, and if he's reading this.. he knows who is typing!! But yes, they are very tough, light and handle well. I don't do rapids anymore (to old) and any portage is just a
    short walk in the park. Loved Basswood Falls...

Default Souris 17 Canoe

I am looking to purchase a Souris 17 canoe from within the UK or Europe. Can anyone advise. At the moment I am trying to import one and not getting anywhere fast!

Appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Kind regards

Tim

Hello and Welcome!

Not sure who, if anybody, is importing Souris to Europe. However I'm sure that Greg Spencer will know (gregandginas), hopefully he'll be along soon, if not send him a PM (you'll need 3 posts first). He's involved with getting Swift canoes over to Europe, via Corinthian Canoe Base in Austria, and if anybody knows how to get Souris in, he or Wolfgang Holbling (the owner of said Corinthian CB) will know. Swift may also have a similar canoe you like too, worth a look at their range.

IsS it the Quetico you're after? If not, and its the Prospector, the Swift Prospector 17 is lovely too.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

PM sent ......
    I like canoes ......

Default Souris 17 Canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

Not sure who, if anybody, is importing Souris to Europe. However I'm sure that Greg Spencer will know (gregandginas), hopefully he'll be along soon, if not send him a PM (you'll need 3 posts first). He's involved with getting Swift canoes over to Europe, via Corinthian Canoe Base in Austria, and if anybody knows how to get Souris in, he or Wolfgang Holbling (the owner of said Corinthian CB) will know. Swift may also have a similar canoe you like too, worth a look at their range.

IsS it the Quetico you're after? If not, and its the Prospector, the Swift Prospector 17 is lovely too.

Thank you for your prompt response but it is the Quetico 17 that I am after. Hopefully he'll see this post and respond

There is a chap in German called Joerg Wagner who also import boats from the North American continent
    This is his website - http://wooden-boat.de/
    Not all his boats are on the website - i suggest you contact him via email (its on his site)
    I got my Hemlock Kestrel from him.

Jorg Wagner is teh best man to import diffenrt boats into europe.
    He might do a container next year or maybe not , he has other things on his mind as well and still has a great selection of tanem vanoes to chose from.
    not sure what the magic is that attracks you to souris river.

maybe the new optioin in the uk is also good enough. Marsport in Reading is getting a container from Northstar canoes end of next month. to me there are getting some great tandem canoes into the uk.

have fun paddling whatever craft you chose.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

I was also recently looking into the Quetico but I've just put down the deposit with John from Valkyrie craft to build an 18ft version of his skin on frame of 'Mist' boat which uses ballistic nylon instead of canvas (think bullet-proof vest material). The website lists 14 and 16 foot versions but John has told me he can vary the size of the boat to suit individual requirements.
    http://valkyriecraft.com/overview-of...ght-open-canoe

To my mind it seemed to more astheticly pleasing, infinitely more customisable and would still be lightweight.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Seriously?? To the UK.... My first instinct would be to contact the factory in Atikokan and see if anyone has imported them previously to the UK. If not, contact one of the dealers in Canada and see if it is possible to ship the canoe.
    As to anothers question as to why a SRQ? It tracks nice with a large load without too much drag after you lift your paddle up. Lightweight and portages easily with some aftermarket portage pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Guidemeister View Post
    It tracks nice with a large load without too much drag after you lift your paddle up. Lightweight and portages easily with some aftermarket portage pads.
    Yup - but not profoundly different to so many other boats of the comparable proportions!

This side of the Atlantic, models from other manufacturers make more sense.

Examples of comparable craft:

That said... I think other boats from those same manufacturers are actually better options for most who are in that market. E.g. Savage's Susquehanna or anything from Swift's Chicot through their Keeywaydin 17 to their Winisk.

Jörg also has composite boats from American Traders (as well as glorious wood and canvas boats).

For ease of availability in the UK you can goto Wenonah - maybe with the Escape (though I prefer the smaller Escapade and the larger Minnesota II). Northstar - meaning the Northwind 17 and Polaris) may also be available here before long. In addition, Mad River still to the Malecite, and Novacraft still do the Cronje.

With all that said... if you can manage with a compact tandem nothing touches Solway Dory's 15'6" Quetico.