Maker's Spec

Escapade availability: Weight*
    Graphite Ultra-light Core 37lb.
    Kevlar Ultra-light 39lb.
    Kevlar Flex-core 51lb.
    Tuf-weave Flex-core 60lb.
    *Weights published are for canoes with all standard equipment

Maker's Write Up
    Webster?s dictionary defines the word ?escapade? as ?an adventurous action that runs counter to conventional conduct? and our newest tandem canoe, the Escapade, is indeed unconventional.

The Escapade has the sleek lines of a performance canoe but with the depth and width of a touring canoe. Designer Dave Kruger says ?the Escapade is short, but speedy. It delivers plenty of performance yet has reasonable capacity for most paddling situations.?

We?ve also given this design 4? of center tumblehome making it well suited for solo paddling by adding a center seat. Configured this way the Escapade is similar to our Solo Plus, but the focus of the two differs. An Escapade with three seats is better for tandem paddling but works adequately as a solo, while the Solo Plus is better if you?re mainly a solo paddler who wishes to go tandem occasionally.
    At 16?6? this is the shortest of our line of performance canoes, so the Escapade doesn?t have as much capacity for trips as the Escape or Minnesota II. But people of smaller stature or minimalists who like to pack and travel light will have plenty of room for gear. Larger paddlers who wish to haul heavy gear should consider our longer performance hulls. But the Escapade is perfect if you want a small and easy to maneuver, yet fast canoe.
    Last edited by Chrish; 19th-November-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Default great little boat

The Wenonah Escape is a great boat for tripping in the UK with a good efficent hull design for easy touring with a good turn of speed.
    It has carried two with a GSD for a week with all kit and we where the least tired of the group!
    It has handles rapids, with care as quite lightweight construction with a good stability.

Question Favourite

Not experienced paddlers, my wife and I having, somewhat regretfully, have sold our WNN Prospector 15, are looking for an efficient tandem canoe for day trips on quiet waters. The Escapade crops up on our shortlist as seemingly meeting requirements. Any endorsements to that might support choosing this model would be most welcome.

Does anyone have any views on how manoeuvrable this hull is?

How would it compare to something like a Penobscot 16 (I'm very familiar with this)?
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

never padddled a penobscot. in think it is great on flat good on lakes. good on currents. ww 1 2 is good to go with water. volume gr3 should work
    it does do freestyle, but not as gooas as a proper solo. it has sharp ends so changing your route mid rapid will be hard.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    never padddled a penobscot. in think it is great on flat good on lakes. good on currents. ww 1 2 is good to go with water. volume gr3 should work
    it does do freestyle, but not as gooas as a proper solo. it has sharp ends so changing your route mid rapid will be hard.

Thanks very much Lennart. How well does it turn as the spec suggests that there's no rocker?

well as said I can do freestyle in it, so on flat water, with al the technigue involved pitch heel and a good (a bit stronger the most solo's I normally paddle). it is possible to get 180 out of a manouvre.

what is the enviroment you are thinking of? As far as I know you have (among many others I have not seen pics of the shed, but some think is is bigger that an avarage hangar) an argosy and a sundowner. I think that you do not want anything in between. if you need a rockbasher. find a piece of pastic (pe or rx)
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Purely speculative at the moment Lennart but the Sundowner is a bit too big to solo and the Argosy is a little too small to drops my kids in with me.

I do quite like the look of the Escapade.

The Escapade is not "maneuverable" and I would not buy one for UK conditions. There were a few unfavorable comments in the US paddling press about the boat being a bit too "firm".

If you go up to the Minnesota II, you get about the same hull, but it sits lighter on the water, and is acceptably maneuverable.

Personally, I would go for a Spirit II, because you don't give away much speed to the Escapade, but you get good primary stability and a light-on-the-water hull that maneuvers. The Spirit II and the Champlaign have scads of family room and are still nice, light boats.

Choose a Kevlar Flexcore or a Tuffweave Flexcore. The difference in weight is small, but Tuffweave is very repairable and wears smooth.

Thanks Ezwater although I am quite surprised by your response.

All of the reviews I've read have been very positive and I since spoken to an owner in the UK that's had a fair number of boats (inc a Kev spirit II) & he had nothing but praise for it.

I have also considered the Spirit II and Minnesota II but they are really a bit too big for solo paddling especially in open windy conditions. If I didn't already have an 18ft Kev Sundowner I think the Minnesota would be very appealing.

I'm still unsure about the Escapade.

Minnesota II, ... acceptably maneuverable
    Just about sums it up in this respect - it can be muscled about but its not particularly happy on water with any flow and needs good anticipation and communication between front and back... Straight tracking is a bonus in the wind though.

I'd be interested to know what the Tuffweave Escapade gives over say an Apache 16 or even Tribe for UK flat water.

Wenonahs own description of this boat says "A short, responsive, yet fast tandem that's solo friendly."
    That's suggests to me that it's not all that bad.

For me the Apache Tribe would be closer and the Escapade looks to have far more tumbleholme and much sharper entry lines.

I've owned a Tribe and found it to be a fast solo boat but I'd expect the Escapade to be much quicker and in tuffweave or Kev foam it's a much lighter boat.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend against tandem in the Tribe I'd also expect the Escapade to have marginally better primary stability with two up.

I do sound like I'm talking myself into this but I really still undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead59 View Post
    Wenonahs own description of this boat says "A short, responsive, yet fast tandem that's solo friendly."
    That's suggests to me that it's not all that bad.

For me the Apache Tribe would be closer and the Escapade looks to have far more tumbleholme and much sharper entry lines.

I've owned a Tribe and found it to be a fast solo boat but I'd expect the Escapade to be much quicker and in tuffweave or Kev foam it's a much lighter boat.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend against tandem in the Tribe I'd also expect the Escapade to have marginally better primary stability with two up.

I do sound like I'm talking myself into this but I really still undecided.
    And NikkiNu doesn't seem to have noticed this thread yet....

If I were paddling flattish conditions and staying off class 1 and above, the Escapade might seem a reasonable compromise, at least for a light tandem crew and a solo paddler who has long arms and takes gear along. But getting a good compromise for tandem and solo is very difficult. I could muscle it, solo, just as I can the so-called whitewater Rendezvous, but I wouldn't like it. For tandem, as I said, more canoe would be better.

I can imagine some being very happy, for good reasons, with the Escapade. One thing to think about, though, is that the Escapade is very unfriendly toward solo paddling in the heeled Mason/Stringer style. And when paddled level, the 33" waterline beam may be annoying. Trying to improve solo paddling friendliness by adding tumblehome is not as relevant to paddling in a kneeling position as it is to the sitting position. Us kneelers can easily reach over and around the gunwale, but a wider waterline impedes the shaft.

How does this compare with the Solo + ?

I have paddled the Solo Plus, briefly. Stiff, hard to turn. I would expect the Escapade to turn better. Difference in speed would be small. I would take the Escapade over the older design. But my concern would still be that the Escapade is a bit wide and stiff handling for a solo, and as a pocket tandem, it has the limitations of a pocket tandem.

The MR Synergy that I paddle solo on most of my trips (not the Millbrook in my avatar) is also a pocket tandem. Has worked well as a ww tandem for some of my smallish friends. But for our combined weight of about 360 pounds, it doesn't spin well enough and takes in too much water over the gunwales.

Enough discussion, get out your money and go on an Escapade. It's a great honor to be a probe boater.