Thread: Bushcraft ideas

Question Bushcraft ideas

Thought I'd pick the brains of all bushcrafty (is that a word) people on here. I'm doing a bushcraft evening with my scouts later this month. Has anyone got any ideas of things we can do in two hours beyond our usual backwoods cooking.

Thanks
    Luke

You could build a nice shelter in a couple of hours.

Maybe some bush first aid (making stretchers out of tarps, splints out of karrimats etc.)

Matt

PS: I believe the correct term is Bushcraftesque.

The scouts over here often have water boiling competitions with equal size tin cans. The object is to build a fire from scratch and get the tin can to boil over with a certain amount of water in it. The trick to beating the kids as an adult is to put a nice shine of dish soap on the inside of your can the night before and use a candle and some wax sawdust fire lighters when they are not looking under your kindling. This way they are convinced of your absolute authority on all things outdoors.

Another one is to hide a few orienteering controls for them to find. I made my controls from plastic juice bottles with orange and white brisol board triangles inside. They are waterproof and work for canoe orienteering too. Lay out a short course and print out a google earth type map with the locations on it, then set them loose.

If you want to skip the map and control part just hide an adult in the woods along a fairly easy baring to follow (say 230 SW or something like that). Then have the kids do a search and rescue using the lost persons last known heading (230 SW) as their only info. To make this one more challenging. Forget the compasses. Give them a pot of water, a sewing needle, a cork, a magnet, a protractor, and sharpie marker and tell them to build a compass.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Thanks for the ideas & keep 'em coming.
    Another one is to hide a few orienteering controls for them to find
    A couple of our parents are orienteering coaches & we might do something along those lines in the summer.

Give them a can of pepsi, a pair of scissors, a push pin, some wadding, a bottle of meths, some matches and a can of beans. Then ask them to cook the beans! When they go "Eh?" show them how to make one of these:

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

This is just one example of the designs available on the net for this type of stove, a google should provide an easily scout manufacturable design, although this one looks quite simple.
    You could have a competition, first team to cook their beans/boil some water gets a free tube of burns cream!

Seriously though, not just a good way to make a stove but gets them thinking laterally about bushcraftesque subjects.

Matt

Have you tried the perennial favourite of fire lighting without matches, piston, flint, steel, bow drill etc?
    Last edited by Chrish; 4th-March-2007 at 10:00 AM.
    Chris