Default Venture Peace River Cruiser

Makers Spec

Length: 17’ 518cm
    Width: 34” 87cm
    Weight: 77lbs 35kg
    Depth: ?
    Capacity: 1080lbs 490kg

Makers Write Up

The Peace River Cruiser is favored by self contained long distance expeditions that need an efficient load carrier and those canoeists who are after a canoe that is suited to long distance touring or fast days out with the ability to cover lots of miles.

Robust and easy to paddle, the Peace river Cruiser is used by mainly hire companies who put them through there paces day after day and year after year. A true mile eater. Made from recyclable linear polyethylene it is extremely tough and virtually maintenance free. Supplied as standard with carrying handles, wood centre carrying yoke and plastic seats.
    • Fast touring boat
    • Very low maintenance
    • Very tough construction
    • 3rd seat as optional extra
    This canoe has now been discontinued by Venture Canoes.
    Last edited by Chrish; 16th-November-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Updating

I have bought an ex-demo PRC, with an extra seat and airbags fitted by the vendor. I'm very happy with it so far, although it has only been used on flat water to carry the family and a picnic.

The boat seems a lot smaller than the next size up in the range (the Hunter), which felt more like a barge. The larger boat was quite awkward for me to paddle solo and I was worried that the amount of freeboard would give issues with weathercocking. The PRC handles nicely whether I am on my own or have the whole family in the boat. Please note that I weigh somewhat more than the average paddler, however, so other people might not consider this to be a candidate for a solo boat.

From a stability point of view, the boat feels rock solid to stand up in. I'm probably going to make myself a pole and dig out a book on canoe poling that I bought years ago.

I understand that the boats are made in Runcorn and the folks at KayaksNorthWest were very helpful with demo boats for the Venture Canoes range.

Does anyone else have any views on this canoe? Would it be reasonable to paddle as a solo? I am wanting a fast tripping canoe and am restricted by budget. Ideally a 16 footer would be better but given the cost and suitablity of this boat, with exception of being a foot longer than is ideal and quite a bit heavier it could well be a viable option.
    Leone_blanco

Default Peace River Cruiser

I have used PRC's for the last 15 years, mainly with groups of youths.

The carrying capacity served well for 3 paddlers when groups were large but also for expedition use when kit was the priority.

I have had groups on extended canal trips, Wigan to London, Liverpool to Boston, Caledonian Canal in all manner of weather and wind.

Also lead groups on Grade 2 rivers with success.

I have just completed an epic journey across the Pennines and back, I chose the PRC for its speed. My friend and I averaged just over 3 miles per hour for the journey of 155 miles. The average included portages. Watch out for Blog to follow soon, Paul's Pennine Canoe Cruise.

Picture shows Paul entering a lock.

I often used to paddle a PRC solo and give my 16ft Reflection to a pair, just so that I could keep up with the better groups of paddlers. This is where the speed counted for me.

Yes, they are heavy but on the water this not a problem. After all we mostly like carrying too much gear. Oh! and they are as tough as old boots. I still have one that has seen 15 years hard service, students are not gentle with gear and it was once pinned in the River Crake, Bobbin Mill Rapid.

If price and speed is important then I would recommend the Peace River Cruiser.

Dougoutcanoe
    Last edited by dougoutcanoe; 28th-October-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Thats brilliant, thanks Dugoutcanoe. One other question; how is paddling solo on open water, i.e. catching wind etc? I'm an ok paddler and am comfortable in windy conditions in my Yellowstone Solo say 20-30mph but having not paddled a canoe of this size this is one of my main concerns. Thanks for the advice so far
    Leone_blanco

Default Prc

I have paddled them in windy conditions solo. They handle quite well as long as you adjust the trim to suit the conditions. I have had them on Loch Ness in both head and tail winds, tandem and solo. The waves up to 3 or 4 feet need care when ploughing into them but a spray deck over the front would sort that out. Tail wind and waves the boat can surf and waves up to 3 feet have been ok, tandem and solo.

Dougoutcanoe
    Alan Sullivan

Brilliant, thanks once again
    Leone_blanco

I am liking the look of this for the money it seems hard to beat, would be interested in seeing more pictures if poss.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I am liking the look of this for the money it seems hard to beat, would be interested in seeing more pictures if poss.
    Some good pictures on this thread http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...+river+cruiser

Never seen one in red anywhere else! I think they only come in green now.

That'll be Nigel & Helen's Supertanker on that link. Its a good boat, few years old but showing now signs of age. Its a Mobile Venture, i.e. predecessor of the current Venture which is, I believe, only green now.

I've paddled it tandem with Nige on many occasions, & its a great boat for covering distances. A little long for the twisty stuff, & less stable than a Prospector, but easy enough to manouevre.

Nigel's paddled it solo a couple of times no problem.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

This looks like it would be ideal for us as a family boat. If anyone heats of one going second hand or ex demo/hire would be keen to know!!

Nigel
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

For a family boat you would be hard pushed to get better for the price. They are comfortable in most conditions, easy to paddle long distances and very stable.
    I'll keep my eyes open for cheap used boats for you.
    Doug
    Alan Sullivan

Default peace river cruiser V nova craft prospector sp3

Quote Originally Posted by dougoutcanoe View Post
    I have used PRC's for the last 15 years, mainly with groups of youths.

The carrying capacity served well for 3 paddlers when groups were large but also for expedition use when kit was the priority.

I have had groups on extended canal trips, Wigan to London, Liverpool to Boston, Caledonian Canal in all manner of weather and wind.

Also lead groups on Grade 2 rivers with success.

I have just completed an epic journey across the Pennines and back, I chose the PRC for its speed. My friend and I averaged just over 3 miles per hour for the journey of 155 miles. The average included portages. Watch out for Blog to follow soon, Paul's Pennine Canoe Cruise.

Picture shows Paul entering a lock.

I often used to paddle a PRC solo and give my 16ft Reflection to a pair, just so that I could keep up with the better groups of paddlers. This is where the speed counted for me.

Yes, they are heavy but on the water this not a problem. After all we mostly like carrying too much gear. Oh! and they are as tough as old boots. I still have one that has seen 15 years hard service, students are not gentle with gear and it was once pinned in the River Crake, Bobbin Mill Rapid.

If price and speed is important then I would recommend the Peace River Cruiser.

Dougoutcanoe
    hi doug,

i have a peace river cruiser which i'm quite happy with (bought on your recommendation). thing is i have a nagging wish to sell it and buy a nova craft sp3 prospector. the only logic really is the romance of the prospector shape (not really logical i know). what do you think? would i be gaining anything here or just wasting my money for the sake of a slightly nicer fitted out boat with wind-catching but cool prow.
    any advice would be welcome. might get to meet you at the severn event coming up too,

cheers, ed

Hi Ed,

What a problem, fancy a new boat, like the Prospector, but....

Like so many questions of this nature, it all depends on-

What you want to do that the PRC can't do well enough?

Do you want to:
    carry bigger loads?
    travel on rough lakes in big waves?
    travel down rivers with rapids up to Grade 3?
    just have new canoe?

If your answer to most of these is yes then go for it.

The Prospector does offer great manoeuvrability and therefore rock dodging or line selection on rivers.

Windage is not a problem if you get the trim right for the conditions but on meandering rivers this is difficult. Never the less it is easily coped with and easier still if tandem.

Car topping can be a problem especially if the Prospector is of heavy construction like PE or SP3. Because of the prow and stern, extra effort has to be made to feed this over a roof rack. On some cars it may cause obstruction to forward and rear vision, just check it out.

Altogether an able and comfortable canoe for a paddler wishing to extend their range of rougher waters. Of course it is a classic shape too.

I'm not sure I will make it to this years Severn trip 15 to 17 April, but I am trying.

Doug
    Alan Sullivan

Default thanks doug

hi
    tanks for that. yeah all of the above really. do you know anyone looking for a prc. has endless river blocks and has been out on the water all of 5 times. i just want something a bit racier. the prc would obviously suit a lot of people. suppose i could always take the blocks out and put them in a prospector. maybe i'll advertise it on here, give me a good deposit on a prospector,
    hope you wriggle out of the babysitting, might see you on the severn, or if not on one of your trips now us fair-weather paddlers are starting to re-emerge!

cheers, ed

Default Prc

I niote that Venture Canoes are no longer manufacturing the Peace River Cruiser- PRC (or at best have ceased production for this year). They are still manufacturing the Hunter 17'

Does anyone have furhter information on this?

I've paddled ours solo. It doesn't turn brilliantly, but it's good enough. It run through the water very nicely though. An evening solo paddle on Ullswater last week was beautiful, gentle and satisfying.

Anyone interested in this boat should see the SotP discussion of the Hou-17

I noticed a few in Clare and Aubrey's hire fleet at Hay-on-Wye, which might be a good option for anyone thinking of buying one. See http://canoe-hire.co.uk/

Default paddling the PRC

Quote Originally Posted by timadlam View Post
    I've paddled ours solo. It doesn't turn brilliantly, but it's good enough. It run through the water very nicely though. An evening solo paddle on Ullswater last week was beautiful, gentle and satisfying.
    A little update on this. I've just got back from Loch Ken where we paddled head to wind for quite a lot of the time - seemed to change direction when we turned round! I'm not the world's most experienced paddler, but I was able to keep up in the well loaded PRC on my own with the rest of our party paddling tandem (adult and child) in 15' and 16' prospectors. The prospectors aren't bad canoes (one is very good), but the Peace River Cruiser was in its element ploughing up the loch into occasionally white-crested waves. It continues to impress me in the water for its speed (when needed) and relaxed paddling the rest of the time.

The Hou looks interesting and in a similar vein - does anybody make a 15' or 16' version of something like the PRC that's a bit lighter? We don't need a boat quite so big now.

Tim
    Last edited by timadlam; 28th-August-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: thought of something to add