Thread: Any Advice - Looking at 2nd Hand Stitch 'n Tape Canoe

Question Any Advice - Looking at 2nd Hand Stitch 'n Tape Canoe

Hi,

Summary
    I'm strongly thinking of going to have a look at a ply stitch and glue canoe, which can be seen at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    I don't have any experience of stitch and glue boats, so I wonder if anyone has any good advice for me of things to look for, or any comments on the boat based on the pictures. (I'm wondering if it is a Selway Fisher Raven???)
    All thoughts and advice welcome...

Background
    I thought a bit of our rationale might help...

We are looking for a second canoe for our household, to enable us to do some family trips this year. The plan is one adult and one child per canoe, leaving decent space for camping gear. It would now simply be too cramped for us all, with gear, in our 16' royalex Prospector.

Mrs. Happybunny is a competent paddler, but not as experienced as me, nor as strong. Neither of us are very big.

I think the ideal might be another royalex Prospector, or maybe an Explorer for a change, but we simply can't afford that, so I've been looking around to see what I can find. Reasonable lightness, even at the expense of some toughness, is important to us (we only intend to do flat or very easy moving water for a while - Lake District and Scotland). A 15' or 16' Apache, second hand, would suit us very well, but no sign of any at the moment, and this boat has come up, and looks like it might be worth considering.

Any thoughts?

Thanks to anyone who has wise words for us!

Ben
    One year olds want four meals a day: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Paper...
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

I'd be asking allot of questions about the construction, plywood type and thickness, taped seams inside and out or sheathed outside, epoxy or polyester resin and how many coats (if the woods been coated at all, some are just painted), weight (get them to put it on some bathroom scales).

Pretty sure it's not a raven, they have a flat bottom and the ends curve back allot more.

You could be getting a really great boat or a thrown together wreck that just looks pretty in the pictures.

Jon.
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Look closely at the quality of the workmanship inside and out. If you are buying the canoe from the builder who did a quality job, then it might be a good deal. If you can, put it in the water and paddle it before you commit to purchasing it. If it doesn't go straight, run away, as fast as you can. I don't know the market for used canoes so can't comment on the price.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Is epoxy or polyester resin better? I presume that just painted is a no-no?

I'll see what more I can find out before cancelling half of Saturday to go and look at it.

Ta!
    Ben
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

There is an Apache on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apache-can...ht_1026wt_1185.

Don't know if price suits you though.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

If I had 500 in the fund I'd have bitten their hand off - it would be ideal. It even has scuppered gunwales...

I did bid on it, and I'm still watching it, but I'll be very surprised if it doesn't go for well over 400, and we can't stretch to that just now. (I'm thinking I could talk the one I linked to down a bit.)

Thanks for the thought, though!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
    If I had 500 in the fund I'd have bitten their hand off - it would be ideal. It even has scuppered gunwales...

I did bid on it, and I'm still watching it, but I'll be very surprised if it doesn't go for well over 400, and we can't stretch to that just now. (I'm thinking I could talk the one I linked to down a bit.)

Thanks for the thought, though!

Ben

What about the Mad River Horizon on e-bay. Further to travel but it may go for reasonable money.

I'll shut up now !!
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Yeah, that would be excellent. Royalex boats tend to reach at least 700, though, from what I've seen in recent months, so I'll be very surprised if I can afford it by 9 days and 12 hours from now when it finishes. I wasn't watching it because of my price-pessimism, but I've added it to my watch list now - you never know... But I'm not holding my breath.

Please don't shut up - appreciate the input.

I have searches set up on eBay and Preloved, but they aren't perfect, and I can always miss something, so suggestions always welcome!!!! (Just no heavy poly boats, please... We'd rather wait than end up with something too heavy at the moment.)

Thanks again!!!
    Ben

I've a feeling I'm going to end up in a similar situation to you in the next year or so and was thinking along Apache lines as I've paddled a 16 solo with a KT and it was very nice - at one point there were several for sale on here at one.. not been around long enough to know, but I expect the onset of spring will throw up a load of boats if you can hang on a bit.

Good luck with the search.

A

Epoxy is prefered above polyester on woodbuilds. A number of detailed pics of the build would help.
    A list of materials used as well (kind of ply, paint, resin and cloth should do the trick)
    On the information that is found on ebay on this craft, I would not bid or travel more then halve an hour. It looks heavy. For that kind of money you can build one . If time and place is there.

I've now found out that the guy didn't build it - he bought it from someone up in the Lake District, so knows almost nothing about its history.

Interestingly, there is an almost identical one listed at http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ca...3-man/95708622 (that is about 50 miles away from the first one, so they aren't the same boat). I'm kind of assuming from this that these were made commercially by someone at some time. Anyone recognise them or know anything about them?

Sounds from all the comments at the moment that this may be a can or worms that I just don't want to be opening. Unlikely to be the work of art that Jondavy made, and has listed in his signature! However, I suppose I'm not expecting a work of art, but there is no point in buying something unless it is actually a decent boat to paddle at a sensible weight.

Not currently feeling hopeful. Thanks for all the input!

Ben
    Last edited by happybunny; 9th-February-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: missed a word

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Is epoxy or polyester resin better? I presume that just painted is a no-no?

Ta!
    Ben
    Epoxy is much preferred over polyester for the stitch-n-tape joints - but good quality paint is fine for a dry stored boat - and will survive outdoors with reasonable maintenance - think about the number of front doors you've seen with a paint finish.

For flat water use there is little merit in sheathing the outside with glass/epoxy - this just adds weight - this glass is good when abrasion is an issue - scraping down thin rivers or dragging it across a car-park.

Weight - ask about this - the owner should know or be able to find out - and if this is to be used by two small(ish) people then the weight will matter.

Could it be a quick buy an sell from the ebay seller? I would be surpriced if that are 2 differnt boats.

Yeah, Lennart, you are quite right. I hadn't realised that it has the same British Waterways license sticker on it... Must be the same boat.

Since the seller has today told me, "...used to do lot of Kayaking up at Lake Coniston We have two dogs & bought it off a guy there last year so the dogs could come with us in it", I begin to smell a rat. Something feels not quite right to me - especially as he looks like the trades in quite a bit of stuff on eBay.

Probably time to leave well alone.

Alas,
    Ben

Hi, I think you do right to avoid it. Although the lines look quite nice (it could be a Selway Fisher Peterbough but im not sure) It looks quite poorly built to me, solid plank seats are a rather nasty way to do seats. With a stich and tape build the more chines you have the more rounded your hull will be. If you want to be able to lift the canoe on your own you would probably do better going for 4mm ply sheathed inside and out rather than 6mm just taped on the inside. On the canoe you have linked to i can't see any sign of tape on the outside so it might only be taped on the inside and while that isn't a bad thing if it has a layer of tissue/glass cloth it isn't good if its just painted.
    Good luck finding some thing that will suit you.

Thanks, Big Drip - some good points there. Although I'm pretty sure it isn't a SF Peterborough as there aren't enough strips, I don't think.

Keep waiting. :-(

Looks a little more attractive for 200 on Gumtree but i'd still want to know more about it especially the weight, it shouldn't be weighing in at anything over 35kg, preferably 25 > 30kg.

Jon.

Thanks, Big Drip - some good points there. Although I'm pretty sure it isn't a SF Peterborough as there aren't enough strips, I don't think.

Keep waiting. :-(
    Your right, there are only four planks on it and there would be 5 on the Peterborough. Its also a few inches longer than the Peterborough. The seller hasn't got great feedback either.

Jon - yeah, we are aiming at sub 30Kg. I thought that the solid-seats point Big Drip was a pretty good pointer that this isn't going to be a suitable weight.

I'd noticed the feedback, too. Another factor in me smelling-a-rat.

I'm forgetting this one.

By all means post or PM if you see something suitable anywhere (or have something to sell.) Meanwhile I'll keep saving and watching and waiting...

Thanks so much, everyone.

Ben

Keep looking and I hope you find the right boat soon, someone bagged an apache for 175 a couple of weeks ago, so they are out there.

Jon.

Wow! Awesome deal! Are you sure that you need it as well as that beautiful Peterborough you built?...

Ben

Wasn't me that bought it, but if i'd seen it first I would have for that price.

Jon.