Thread: Drysuit for canoe sailing?

Default Drysuit for canoe sailing?

I've pretty well made up my mind to buy an Peak UK Adventurer suit ; it has a hood, vent-able neck seal and a light zip system on the inside seam of the legs which seems like a good idea. The only thing is it has a double tube system for a kayak spray deck, I'm just wondering if that would make it feel a bit restrictive? Or is there an obvious alternative I'm missing. I'm not too keen on the huge chunky zips you tend to get on more traditional drysuits and I like the idea of being able to vent the suit a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by unk tantor View Post
    The only thing is it has a double tube system for a kayak spray deck, I'm just wondering if that would make it feel a bit restrictive? .
    Not that I have noticed ! It is very comfortable.

Paul

That looks like the suit that Greg has. Does it have latex feet? or ankle seals? I have never had comfort problems with my front heavy zip on my Typhoon Drysuit.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    That looks like the suit that Greg has. Does it have latex feet? or ankle seals? I have never had comfort problems with my front heavy zip on my Typhoon Drysuit.

it is the same one, with feet rather then ankle seals, maybe drysuit zips just look more cumbersome then they really are.

My drysuit has a double waste layer for a spray deck and it's no problem at all.

Steve

Fabric type feet.

Paul

Yeah that's the same suit Greg has. Another vote for the double waist being no problem, it's all stretchy material anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    That looks like the suit that Greg has.
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...648#post368648

I have the Typhoon Multisport with double waist. Its not a problem in fact I think it helps keep the suit a little warmer

I have a reed paddle sute , it dosent have the latex seals its not good for prolonged emersion, but grate for what we wont out of a sute, also consider geting a releaf zip a lot of manufacturers also ofer the option of ther suts with or without the spray deck tunel

I'd be tempted to try the Peak UK suit as well if I were buying a drysuit again and wanted it for year round use. I have a conventional drysuit for winter/cold water use and a touring cag and high waisted dry trousers combination for warm weather. The fact that you can vent the neck on the touring cag (as on the Adventurer suit) is a big plus for using in warmer weather and in my experience of using my two piece drycag/trousers summer combo not much water comes in the neck anyway once it's sealed up. You tend to float with your neck and head high in the water so the neck seal is more of a splash protection rather than a full immersion protection. My main concern would be that in the unlikely event that you fell in with the neck seal open and water got into the suit it could impair movement and recovery a bit.
    Just as a matter of interest if I float on my back without moving my two piece keeps the water out but as soon as I start moving about (which you would realistically be doing if you ended up in the water) it leaks through the waist join. I knew that this would be the case before I bought the two piece hence I went for the latex ankles rather than socks (so that I could let the water out again). During the summer a bit of water inside isn't a problem as long as you wear the right sort of base layers (I wear the Reed Chillcheater stuff underneath which is great and works like a breathable wetsuit on it's own as well) and the ability to go "topless" in hot weather is great. If I could only afford one solution it would be the full drysuit though for safety year round though.

I think the most impressive drysuit I've seen is the one Dave Mack wears (I think it's this one http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/product.../ps220_xtreme/ ). They're megabucks though.

Right I sold on the Adventurer, although that typhoon Xtreme looks very good and its "only" 500.

So I got my 2011 Adventurer (XL) online and delivered, really impressed with the quality and the concept but its big, I think too big, I know drysuits are meant to be worn over layers but this is really big , especially in the legs and bum, I've now brought a 2012 large version (at full price they don't have the old type in that size) to try and I'll see which one fits best and send the other one back, this is the flaw in buying stuff you wear on the internet I guess but thank god for credit cards.

So I got my 2011 Adventurer (XL) online and delivered, really impressed with the quality and the concept but its big, I think too big, I know drysuits are meant to be worn over layers but this is really big , especially in the legs and bum, I've now brought a 2012 large version (at full price they don't have the old type in that size) to try and I'll see which one fits best and send the other one back, this is the flaw in buying stuff you wear on the internet I guess but thank god for credit cards.

Now got my 2012 Large Adventurer and the legs are a perfect fit, the trouble is the top now is too tight under the arms.

Either they have an odd sizing methodology or I'm a barrel chested short legged freak, or most likely a mixture of the two...
    Ho hum, its a real shame because I really like the concept but its not going to work for me.
    Liking the Typhoon Extreme now, much more of a full on drysuit and it is actually cheaper then the Adventurer. Anyone know where I can try one on in London? Off to the gym now ,Ive lard-arsed around too long this winter...

I couldn't find an off the peg drysuit that fitted me well so I got one made to measure from Trident. I've had it about 3 years and have been pleased with it - other half had one made for her, too. You can have whatever combination of seals and zips you want and it's not as expensive as you might expect. Have a look at: http://www.tridentuk.com/sailing/Drysuits.html

These look great. Check out this link: http://www.pbkiteboarding.com/Kitebo...o_Canada_.htmlhttp://www.pbkiteboarding.com/Kitebo...o_Canada_.html

Here's the size chart.

Google the prices. Paid 229 inc VAT & Delivery and they threw in a free underfleece too.

Breathable, comfortable, easy to get in and out and the entry zip also acts as a pee relief zip.

The only difference between the 2011 model and new 2012 model is colour graphics and it's price, 100 cheaper!

Thanks Keith and Steamerpoint I'll check these out, I think I'll only purchase after trying on a suit first from now .

That's what I liked about the Gul range, is that they have the broad sizes. All too often have I had to go for the next size up because they were too tight in the chest, but then the legs were then too long. I simply got my wife to measure me exactly and then choose the size that matched me as close as possible.

Buying new as apposed to buying off ebay meant that it costs little more than some extra postage to return the suit and swap it for another size.

Would buying from a shop mean higher prices?

I thought maybe you could try a suit on at WetsuitOutlet (where Steamerpoint got his suit from I'm guessing) but it seems to be a mailorder only set up. They are good to deal with though (I've used them often in the past) and are in Shoeburyness which isn't far from the smoke (IIRC). It might be worth giving them a phone and seeing if they can help out (especially since they stock that fantastic Typhoon Extreme suit ). Typhoon have a "nearest stockist finder" on their website for other alternatives http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/stockists/

I'd second the endorsement of 'wetsuitoutlet' - I've used them for buying .... wetsuits! and they've been very helpful and efficient.

Just to bring this thread to a conclusion, i finally got a Typhoon PS220 extreme after trying it on at kayaks & Paddles in Devon.

It is very well made and seems much more heavy duty then the peak adventurer, the sizing seems more logical, this is the large size. I imagine it might be more uncomfortable in warmer weather then the adventurer but the glide seals seem very comfy. Cost 499.

That looks great. I want one.

Looks good Unk. I reckon that's a good price as well (I'm sure I remember those suits retailed for a lot more when they came on the market).

I think anyone that wears a yellow drysuit is a bit of a girl if I'm honest, what do you say Jurassic?

No seriously Unk, looks great mate. Like the idea of a hood, which I think yours has. Out of my budget but I'm sure it is worth every penny.

Middle-aged men and rubber suits is never going to be a good look, whatever the the colour.
    But at least bright yellow means the Duke of Cambridge will be able to find me quickly, once he comes back from terrifying the Argies with his rescue helicopter!
    But seriously this drysuit will help improve my safety, if even only by encouraging me to practice self rescue more often, something I have only done twice since I started Canoe sailing in 2006 if I'm been honest.!In fact I've started to take safety issues a whole lot more seriously, due to contributors to this forum and on the OCSG facebook page and magazine.

Middle-aged men and rubber suits is never going to be a good look, whatever the the colour.
    But at least bright yellow means the Duke of Cambridge will be able to find me quickly, once he comes back from terrifying the Argies with his rescue helicopter!
    But seriously this drysuit will help improve my safety, if even only by encouraging me to practice self rescue more often, something I have only done twice since I started Canoe sailing in 2006 if I'm been honest.!In fact I've started to take safety issues a whole lot more seriously, due to contributors to this forum and on the OCSG facebook page and magazine.

All we need is a few more colours and we can give ourselves a name!

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post

All we need is a few more colours and we can give ourselves a name!

I think mine's Lala.