Thread: living in a tent all year

Default living in a tent all year

would there be anybody who has experience with living in for example a tentipi tent for realy long periods?im planning of doing it myself and would like to read about other members experiences to learn from and help me with my planning

Interesting, Why a year, tell us .more
    Quote Originally Posted by paddyvanbasten View Post
    would there be anybody who has experience with living in for example a tentipi tent for realy long periods?im planning of doing it myself and would like to read about other members experiences to learn from and help me with my planning

My wife and I lived in a 1920s Duluth Tent and Awning Touring tent for nine months when I was about 24. Wing and I set up the tent on the upper reaches of the Knife River. Our water came from the river. We built a latrine (for obvious reasons) and a sweat lodge to keep clean. The tent was 10'X10', probably about 6 oz canvas duck. We built a wood platform for the floor. We were building a log cabin.

I guess I'm not sure what else to say about it. What did you want to know?

PG
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

If you're not already, learn to be organised. Always store like things in the same coloured bags/containers. If you intend to store things for extended periods of time; when you use these things, put them back in place as soon as possible. Have a clean through/tidy every day, that way any mess doesn't pile up. Keep an eye on the weather, so you can dry clothes outside and air the tent when the weather is good. Try to air the tent whenever possible, as a tent can get musty real easy and if the tent becomes musty, everything else will follow suit shortly. Make a habit of having inside footwear and outside footwear.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I've sort of thought about it before... I would say siteing the tent under trees could be useful to avoid condensation/dew collecting on the tent regually, as the air and objects temp remains more constant rather than in the open when objects cool into the open air and become colder drawing the moisture out of the warmer air. Could come with its own problems too though. I'd also say you couldn't in Scotland as it remains to damp and wet up there year round.

Or just buy a caravan - central heating, hot and cold running water, toilet and shower, fridge freezer, decent cooker, not to mention the insulated walls, double glazing and loads of cupboard space. I've been part time in mine since October.

I would image that something bigger like yurt would give you more room and you could use some proper furniture, possibly even dividing it into separate rooms.

Nice idea, but I guess it depends on the reasons for doing it.

Jon.
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

I can't help you with personal experience but one of the owners of "Green outdoors" told me that he or someone he knows has used one of their tents for some months in the Lake district (always wet). So you could give them a call or e-mail for some advice. Hope this helps. Logger

My daughter, son-in-law and their 2 year old son, lived in a North American Tipi for most of a year in Suffolk. They missed the best part of the year (summer). They enjoyed their experience. The tipi was 16 ft diameter.

Now some 15 years later they have a large garden and have the tipi erected as a guest room and party location.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

retro thanks for putting me on that link it whas brilliant and interesting reading i only wonder why it stopped all off a sudden.grey owl its not exactly for a year its more like advise for living in a tent all year when i enjoy it it can be for severall years but the most important thing is enjoying it.i've worked many off times in places that you had to work 7 days a week to make a half decent living,and now i got at a stage that i think by myself there is more than only a pair of overall's and earn somebody else a mercedes.many years ago i started camping and i got all drawn in by lightweight backpacking ideas.but it didn't take to long that i got my eyes opened on several occasions,like for example its nice to have an axe but when you try to set a pointy bit of wood upright to split it thats a different story.or the brilliant idea off an allround campknive i gommented on a thread yesterday its not so much the carbon or stainless thing but get a knive that you can sharpen easy enough when you can't sharpen it yourself what use is it to you? ive spent a while in the sea scouts when i whas young and because off that handy with rope and knots and got in contact with people in holland who started copying baker tents and got the hold off a copy off song off the paddle that whas an eye opener aswell.it made me look at things from another angle and i went further started reading about how settlers in america where living and i thought them people were far from daft and when i look at things how they are now.many off people are lost without a microwave couldnt cure food for themselves all them kind of things and it is interesting for me to see how far i can manage without readymeals. in holland its hard to do when for example you snare a rabbit your a poacher but when you have the money to lease land and hunting rights and have a hunting license nobody questions if you shoot a hundred rabbits on a saturday.while in england a land owner welcoms you its all them things that i would like to get away from and live live a simpler way thats why i want to get in the direction off norway because you have the space.the woodplatform sounds a good idea its a good base to live on.johndavey the reason is more or less getting away from rules and regulations.i lived in construction camps in norway for years your not allowed to smoke in your room your not allowed to drink beer in the tv room and i would love to get away from that a wee bit more.and be able to live my own live smoke meat and fish all them kind of things
    Last edited by paddyvanbasten; 6th-February-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Hi paddy im a new member like you & you have my interests at heart & inspire me so id like to know more off your plans as thought off this many times but to find place thats legal wether it be uk or abroad is always the stopping point i think for anyone to camp permantly .
    Is it norway you got your sights on ? is it an experiment with another more fixed address to live at while trying this out ? im intriged by this
    ` I shall be telling this with a sigh some where ages & ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood , & I took the one less Traveled by , & that has made all the difference ;

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

The boys gone bush!
    And remember..If you find it a bad place to be, then there is no shame in coming in from the cold. If you are looking for something out there, then I hope you find it. Good luck. TB

paddy you could look up Le Loup who is a member on this forum. he would have a lot of inspiration for you, speaking of early settlers in america etc.

A few years ago I came across a blog of a guy who lived in a wood in Oxforshire for a year. I think he went under the 'name' of Ditch Monkey: anyway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Sawyer

for info and links.

Biff
    'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report...'

A great book is " The Indian tipi its history, construction, and use " by Reginald & Gladys Laubin, first published in 1957, but still in print. A lot of great advice on tipi living.
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    paddy you could look up Le Loup who is a member on this forum. he would have a lot of inspiration for you, speaking of early settlers in america etc.
    could you tell me how or where i can find Le Loup in this forum that would be a big help for me

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

click on Advanced Search then click in User name and type Le Loup and click on search
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

In 1974 I spent May until September in a tent camp, 500 miles up the Alaska Highway. I realized when we closed camp and drove back to civilization that we had gone wild over the summer. We cleaned up as best we could and felt great leaving camp, but when we entered the city I felt particularly grubby. As luck would have it, I met some girls I liked from university. They were particularly beautiful in white shorts and tops with nice even sun tans. There I was, my tan was limited to my face and hands, hair uncut, wearing my least ripped jeans and a pair of boots that would go in the trash as soon as I arrived home.

Oh, to be young again! Those were the days!

could you tell me how or where i can find Le Loup in this forum that would be a big help for me
    search as fran said. or, his own site is here:
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

i lived in a 2 man karrimor tent in the dales i did the dales way then from the lake district i wondered around grizedale forest for months then walked back to the dales around grimwith resavoiur and up to scotland to the ferry and on to the shetland islands loved it camped somewhere differnt every night

forgot to say how long i did it for six months i had 800 pounds in the bank lived of packet pastas and noodels and the odd treats had a water filter so used streams and sivers to drink from had a tiny pot stove with gel fuel witch is like a small sasha of brown sauch like what you get in restrants i took 80 packets and spent 300 pounds all together morrisons own lol 28p stuff the odd tin of 1.28p stew and dumplins i loved it give it another 5-10 years save more money up get a better tent and ill live out there for years

Im too soft.I love coming back after a week to a roasting hot soak and a comfy bed lol

...and be able to live my own live smoke meat and fish all them kind of things
    I tried smoking fish once. They were difficult to light. ;-)