Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venture Ranger 16

Have to say mine tracked really well

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

As did mine.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Mine oil canned a little but tracked pretty good , i think its underrated. Ive solo'd it for 25 miles on still water in a day and 3 up camped for multi day trips with 2 dogs and loads of gear. Its not the best canoe but its pretty good on a budget and just about unbreakable

The higher than normal free board allows for a drier canoe.

A few of us sailed over to the Isle of Wight last Autumn in choppy conditions. My canoe was one of the few open canoes that sailed that day and probably the only one not sporting some kind of spray dodger to keep the water out!

As for strength, mine needs to be. I have recently built a 22-foot tall sailing rig and the bigger sail pushes it along really well. I think it has the tallest mast of all the sailing canoes I have seen, by quite a way!

Those canoes ain't hanging about

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Nice to see this thread getting bumped with good things .

... Still loving my old Ranger..Still tracks fine.. Sometimes I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it Royalex, but I throw it round solo ok. I paddled it for a few miles yesterday in flukey winds later in the day.. You have to be quick and positive with the stroke to keep the nose into wind (if that's where you're heading ).. Great stable platform for fishing!

Forgot to say..it's still oil canned and am still alive.. Not sure why folks worry so much about oil canning?
    Someone will no doubt tell me why it's a problem
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 22nd-January-2014 at 07:59 AM.

If what you mean by oil canning, you are referring to the flat bottom of the canoe bulging up when in the water, then yes, mine oil cans too!

You don't see it moving up and down, but you are aware of the bulge.

I tend to sail alongside very smooth and efficient, purpose built sailing canoes and very often I struggle to keep up, hence the reason why I built my mega sailing rig. I feel that I would travel better, more efficiently if the hull retained it's shape, but these difficulties would not be an issue for slower speed paddling.

The Venture Ranger is a tough canoe alright. It is very stable and makes a versatile multi-purpose canoe that should last for years and years.

I am sometimes tempted to change it for something else, either a purpose built sailing canoe or a Grumman, but I then consider the cost of changing and would owning an expensive canoe spoil the way I use my canoe. What I mean is, I would often sail right up onto the beach without worrying about the odd scratch, whereas the shinny canoe guys drop anchor or start messing about with foam padding to protect their canoes from stones on the beach. Fair enough when you have paid 4000 for your sailing canoe, but owning a 600 canoe means you don't have to worry too much.

Plus it just takes everything I throw at it.

Just been blasting around Rutland Water with the big sail up.

There are not many canoes that have the rigidity and strength to hold up a 22-foot long mast in 23 mph winds!

On Friday I'm back in Scotland to sail the Great Glen, again.

Hello

I am looking for a beginner canoe for family use (with wife and two young kids) mainly on flat (and sometimes windy) waters, and my main constraint is the length of my garage which is a few cm more than 4,90m.
    According to what I read on this (excellent) board, the ranger 16 is likely to fit my needs. But it is said to have a length of 4,90m, so if that figure is not exact I will end cutting an opening in my garage door...
    Since the nearest Venture dealer is two hours away from home, could anyone owning a recent Ranger 16 tell me the exact length ?

Thank you very much and sorry for both metric measures and poor english (I'm French)...

Bastien

My Ranger is exactly 4.91m. I guess you could park it at a slight angle so it fits inside.

Thanks a lot. With 4,90 I had a margin of 2-3 cm so 4,91m should fit.

Good evening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12