Thread: Clipper Prospector 16

Default Clipper Prospector 16

Maker's Spec

Std Features:
    Bench seats, yoke, flotation tanks, thwart
    Options:
    Gunnel covers, black trim package, wood trim package, foam thigh pads, wilderness lash system, contoured yoke, expedition spray skirt.

SPECS: Length: 15' 9" Beam: 35" 33" (@ 4"Waterline) Bow Height: 21" Stern Height: 21" Center Height:15"
    WEIGHT: Fiberglass 70lbs Kevlar 56lbs Ultralight 52lbs Kevlar/Duraflex 60lbs

Maker's Write Up
    The 16' Clipper Prospector is one of a series of traditional-style Prospector canoes offered by Clipper Canoes. All three Clipper Prospector models share the same characteristics of classic design, grace on the water, and maneuverability.
    The 16' Prospector is molded close to the lines of the 16' wood canvas Prospector formerly built by the Chestnut Canoe Co. This model is available in four different layups. It is frequently ordered with a wood trim finish, which is the crowning touch to its traditional look. Webbed contoured ash seats are standard, hung from the gunnels on wood dowels. On our aluminum trim models the seats are hung on fiberglass hangers. It is easy to paddle this canoe solo by using the front seat while facing the stern. Seats are high enough for kneeling or an optional footbrace can be ordered.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 2nd-March-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Fix pic

Bought mine from Eric C as I had come to the conclusion that the Birchcreek 13 was too small for my not inconsiderable bulk [that canoe is now in the hands of Lauraunce/Gwing down in sunny Kent]

Since I've never tried any other canoes any review might not be of much use from a comparison standpoint, but here are some impressions.

Build quality is exempary, the boat being laid up in glassfibre with a red gelcoat outer. The seats are hung from plates from the aluminium gunwhales. a centre canted kneeling seat has be added, neccessitating the moving of the carry yoke forwards ahead of the CG, and therefore rendering it useless.

As mentianed the gunwhales are aluminium as are the fore and aft cross pieces and the centre thwart. This is the least likeable element of the boat, the aluminium is cold and scratches easily and given my propesity to thwaock the gun'l nearly every stroke, it does'nt do my paddles much good. I'll be wanting to change the aly for something in ash as soon as I find a decent supply, damn the weight increase.

Speaking of weight, the Clipper is no lightweight, the 70 lb quoted in the spec is entirely feasble. I have no problem getting it on and off the car, but I don't want to have to portage it far. The Birchcreek weighed in at around half that much, and one has to wonder why a canoe 3' longer weighs twice as much! [no, don't bother telling me why]

The first time I had it out, I loved it's stability, the way I could just lean it over and it would just lie to to wherever I wanted it. That love suddenly turned to frustration as I found myself trying to paddle a lightly loaded prospector back up the harbour into the teeth of a 30mph wind. I knew prospectors were prone to be affect by the wind, now I knew, and how!

Since picking the canoe up last September it's had little use, the biggesst, longest and best test it got was at Vyrnwy a fortnight ago, where I found that getting the right amount of wind at the right angle to the bow nicely counteracted the tendancy to veer over, so corrective strokes were'nt need as often.

I've yet to have anyone else in there, or to try paddling from the front seat, but I like the boat, and I suspect it will do what I want it to do once I get used to it.

I have to say that I did prefer the Birchcreek, for it's compactness, but that was too small. Maybe this is too big and that the 15 prospector or something along the lines of the Pal might be more my cup of tea, but for now I'm more than happy with this one, and being bright red it certainly turns heads.

I 'll put photos up when I have some.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

3. Default

You tried the cheapest one of the lot, fiberglass. They are heavy and unruly but I would highly recommend the ultralite rollup to reduce the weight by half. Also, no tripping canoe this stable has any business being under 17 feet, to add cargo space to it's well known versatility and maneuverability. Clean and dry my Clipper Prospector 17' ultralite weighed 49lbs new, but that was before fifteen years of intense abuse and repair.