Thread: National Go Canoeing week

Default National Go Canoeing week

This is a welcome opportunity to invite more people to enjoy our sport. Unfortunately I'm going to be away for Easter so I won't be able to participate. This seems to be a recurring problem for me - I'm away or busy when these big events take place.

promote the sport and encourage people to get out on the water...

canoeing activities going on nationwide...

How exciting!...

new project called Go Canoeing which is a national campaign supported by Canoe England, to encourage and inspire more people to go canoeing more regularly...

opportunities for people to enjoy...

as well as information on where to go...

Did someone forget to mention access, I feel a protest paddle coming on

Or am I just being cynical.

Jon.
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by jondavy View Post
    This week will also see the launch of a brand new project called Go Canoeing which is a national campaign supported by Canoe England, to encourage and inspire more people to go canoeing more regularly.
    Maybe someone should point out that the 'National Campaign' only has access to about 6% at best of the national waters. I have just to be a bad boy. I also wonder if it would be a cheeky opportunity to arrange a paddle or two to celebrate the national campaign.

For what it's worth and entirely my own opinion/work here's the gist of the email I sent them ...

Hi

Whilst I am happy to see this being organised, I wonder if this ‘National Campaign’ will take into account the fact that BCU/CE currently have managed to ensure we only have access to 6% at best of our ‘National Rivers’ in which we can encourage 2012 people to paddle. I wonder where those in England/Wales who have no easy access are supposed to practice this ‘National Campaign’. Should it not read ‘A Bit National’.

I see no mention of the limited access situation in the publicity for a National Campaign and wonder why that would be, as it is more than a little bit pertinent to a ‘call to paddles’ of this sort. I would have thought that this would present a good opportunity to bring the access issue to the attention of the wider public who, after all, will be the deciding factor in any drive for legislative change.

CE, unless I am mistaken, stands for ‘Canoe England’ not ‘Canoe 6% of England’ as at present. Were I reading this as a ‘non paddling person on the street’, I would assume we could just go anywhere and participate having started at one of these events as it was all National though that is clearly not the case at present. Perhaps a disclaimer on the invitation setting out the facts of access may inform people better – something along the lines of ‘your investment may go down as well as up’ does for financial offers so we are not misled.

I am not trying to be negative about the campaign which is fine but when I see ‘national canoe week’ bandied about by the organisation who is supposed to be working as a priority to gain National access and when there is no national access and no mention of this, I wonder if you are what politicians call ‘entirely joined up’ as an organisation.
    Last edited by MarkL; 28th-January-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

There's an email address on the 'go canoing' web page I've asked what they are doing re access. It seems like a poor idea to encourage young people to go out and paddle for them to then get shouted at and threatened with legal action. Hardly makes for an enjoyable introduction to a new pastime.

I'll post the reply when it comes back.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by paulsmith View Post
    I'll post the reply when it comes back.
    Paul
    I would not hold your breath if I were you......

I was at a meeting with our Paddlesport Development Officer last night and he did not mention this Go Canoeing week.....
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

They run one every year - but tweak what it's called - "go canoeing days", "go paddling days".
    Clubs are asked to run free taster sessions (which a lot of us already do anyway) during that particular week. It used to be later in the year rather than over the Easter weekend, but has gradually crept earlier over the last 3 years. (Links below for those interested)

2009 : 23rd - 31st May http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

2010 : 1st - 9th May http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

2011 : 30th April - 8th May http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    It used to be later in the year rather than over the Easter weekend, but has gradually crept earlier over the last 3 years.
    I blame global warming

I'm sorry but I will be abroad that week because the access situation is so much better in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by twopigs View Post
    I would not hold your breath if I were you......

I was at a meeting with our Paddlesport Development Officer last night and he did not mention this Go Canoeing week.....
    What was it I said in my email about not being all that 'Joined Up'
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”