Thread: Skin on Frame Sailing Canoes

Default Skin on Frame Sailing Canoes

A couple of nice accounts. Skin on frame is a very nice way to make a lightweight sailing canoe for self builders.

I have no experience of skin on frame boats other than a vague memory of a PBK tandem (affectionately known as the "tubby double") belonging to my dad when I was a kid. How fragile are they? They look as though they'd need to be carefully looked after. They also look great as well though.

Dave P has a skin on frame sailing canoe from around 1946. He recovered it when he bought it because it was getting fragile, but is now like new. Not for banging down rocky rivers, but this one used to be sailed on Loch Lomond,

If you're making your own you need to think about how the tortional stresses (from the mast pushing the boat over one way and crew weight trying to stop it) are handled. Get it wrong and you're in trouble: not necessarily immediately, but the life of the hull will shorten for sure.
    Simon

My skin on frame sea Kayaks are just as tugh as glass, ther flex makes them tough the only thing thay dont like ar oysters , for odviose reasons

Another interesting build from the Duckworks Archive : http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/.../sof/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mick m View Post
    My skin on frame sea Kayaks are just as tough as glass, their flex makes them tough the only things they dont like are oysters , for obvious reasons
    Kayaks have good torsional stiffness because they have lots of circular frames; open canoes don't and need appropriate reinforcements otherwise they twist. If you want an analogy - take a piece of cardboard tube and try and twist it - difficult. Now cut a slit down one side (like an open canoe) and repeat the twisting - easy.

Plastic boats and plywood wooden boats can take it. The risk with a fabric on wood-frame canoe is that the joints open, wear, and eventually give up.

It's not inevitable, some designs are better than others, and a little care with the design of the frame can sort it.

Simon