Thread: Handmade Leather "Ingredients Bags" - sized for full bag of flour

Default Handmade Leather "Ingredients Bags" - sized for full bag of flour

Hi All,

Over the last few years, quite a number of you have bought my leather "tinder bags" (see
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...uot-Dark-Green and http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...er-Tinder-Bags). These were simple "flat" bags, and have served me and others well.

However, I wanted some bags that were larger, and properly self-standing for my cooking ingredients. I made some for myself a couple of years ago, and I've been very happy with them, so I've finally got around to making some up for sale. Here is what they look like:

These are quite a bit bigger than the tinder bags - especially in the depth. They are about 14cm x 9cm x 26cm altogether (5.5" x 3.75" x 10") - you'd want to allow a couple of cm for the closure if you are thinking of putting something specific inside. The size was designed to hold a full bag of flour (the usual UK 1.5 kg size), inside a ziplock bag. There is one inside in the picture above, and you can see the size comparison in the picture below (although perspective makes the bag look even bigger than it is.)

Fuller description:
    As you can see, these are a "3 piece" design which gives them a fully flat bottom so that they stand stably. This puts the seams at the edges, so they aren't being squished down into damp ground by the main weight of the contents. The closure is using paracord and a spring toggle. But what am I writing about it for? You can see it in the pictures.

The underneath:

The top (closed over a full flour bag):

One of the new bags (open, right hand side) with two of the ones I have been using for the last couple of years. If you want this patina of camping use, you'll have to buy some and use them

I use these to hold ingredients, which I put into ziplock bags inside the leather bags. I generally use one for flour, one for sugar, and one for dried milk and raisins. Oh, and some oats usually get put in with the flour or sugar - whichever one is less full. These bags seem to me to be:
    • practical - big enough to hold a full bag of flour, and to be easy to get things in and out of, and with simple opening and closing, that seals well enough so bits don't come out inside my dry bags
    • tough – both the leather and the closure
    • attractive – there is just something nice about leather bags. They just feel “bushcrafty” and proper, somehow.

I've been really pleased with mine, and we are trying hard to get enough money to add to the family fleet as the children are getting too big for us to do overnight trips in just one, so I thought I'd make up some to sell.

I'll eventually list these on ebay for £10 each (or maybe £9.99), but as usual SotP gets a better price and "first dibs", so:
    £9.00 each, delivered (in the UK), and I'll swallow the PayPal fees.
    (These use quite a bit more leather, and take quite a bit longer to make than the tinder bags, hence the higher price, I'm afraid.)

10% discount if you buy 3 or more, making a set of 3 £24.30.

I have 8 for sale.

A few more notes for anyone interested:
    • I went for the cord rather than leather thongs as I've found the latter either have to be inconveniently thick, or are a bit prone to snapping. I also quite like the harmony of old and new materials, using each where it is best :-) For the pedantic (and why not...) this is 3mm polypropylene cord, not true paracord.
    • I went for the toggle rather than a knot as it is simple and reliable, even when tired, or with wet or cold (or even gloved) hands. The toggles have stainless steel springs.
    • I only have them made up in this green leather. I know this doesn't have the “romance” of being reindeer hide or anything like that, but it is good, green recycling, as this was from a leather sofa, and would otherwise have ended up in landfill, and I find that quite satisfying. I could make some more out of the remains of last year's red leather. If anyone is desperate for that, pm me.
    • Because this is recycled leather, there are some minor marks in the finish, and some creases, but there are no holes.
    • Do I make things that are any good? I hope so – if you want some evidence, try http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-sewing-frenzy. See also the comments on the "Tinder bag" threads at http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...uot-Dark-Green and http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...er-Tinder-Bags.
    • If for some reason you want to see the full resolution versions of these pictures (8MP plus) then visit http://www.happyclayton.net/gallery/v/sotppics/ and you can click through to them.
    • This is being done for some paddling money and the fun of making them - believe me, I couldn't make a living out of them at this price. I hope everyone thinks that the price is fair.
    Finally, here they are in use by my daughter cooking breakfast bannock on a campsite near Bala lake:

So, here's hoping some more people might consider these bags worth nine quid, and find them as handy as I have. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Ben
    One year olds want four meals a day: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Paper...
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

Thumbs up

Very nicely done again, really impressed with those

good luck with the sale

all the best

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    Very nicely done again, really impressed with those

good luck with the sale

all the best

Steve
    Thank you. And would you believe 3 sold already.

Ben
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the bags, great size and price.

All the best John.

I made up 8 of these to sell, and 6 are now sold, so I have two left. However, I've realised that one has gone a bit wonky, being almost an inch shorter on one side than the other - don't know how I managed that... Anyway, I suppose that it had better go at a discounted price, so I have one left at £9, and the wonky one can be £8.

Now - I wonder if anyone is selling an Apache...

Ben

All now sold. Wish I had time to make up some more at the moment.

Thanks to those who have bought them! (I'll be posting out the remainder tomorrow morning.)

Ben

Ben
    My three 'Tardis' bags arrived this lunch time. Well made and massive dimensions. One already filled with ziplock bagged 1kg flour with room to spare! The other two will have to wait until later in the week to be filled, probably with dried milk and raisins for my bannocking.
    I shall keep an eye out for other bags in due course. ***** service.
    Many thanks.
    Alan
    Went the day well?