Thread: [Video]: 4-day trip on the Colo River, Australia (7-min edit)

Default [Video]: 4-day trip on the Colo River, Australia (7-min edit)

I've had some more time to edit down the footage from our 4-day trip. The GoPro, mounted on the bow, captures both boats on the water very nicely, and also captures the gorge scenery well.

The Colo Gorge cuts through a huge tract of the Wollemi wilderness in NSW. The steep sandstone gorge is difficult to access.

We start downriver at Upper Colo, then pole, paddle, and line the canoes about 24-km upstream to the Wollangambe confluence, over two days, sleeping in a rock shelter or beach overnight.

The river is shallow and sandy for the lower 9-km, and poling is the best way to move upstream. After that, in the gorge proper, deep pools alternate with boulder-blockup rapids.

The reverse trip downstream takes only ⅔ the time, and is more relaxing.

At low water levels, a clear path down the boulder-choked rapids is difficult to find, but sandy-beach campsites are plentiful.

Boats are Mad River Freedom Solo, and Mad River Legend 16, both in Royalex. GoPro camera is mounted on the bow.

King Rapids is said to be a Grade IV or V in high water--most of the others would be a II or III.

The river can rise VERY quickly overnight. In December 2010, it rose 6-m in 24-hrs, then dropped 3-m the following 24-hrs. See the flash flood here:

Fantastic !!

Great blogg, I really enjoyed the video.

Great Stuff Pea Pod

You make it look sooooo easy....

Cracking film.

excellent, looks like a perfect trip,
    now where can i do that here in england over a few days?
    nature is m X-box

Looks like a great trip guys.

The only thing that would have made the trip better (more perfect?) is more water to save a lot of scraping; and perhaps a helicopter to drop us upstream, so we didn't have to push against the flow!

Really entertaining video! Congratulations, both on the video itself and on the trip it portrays!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

I admire your ability to paddle and pole standing in a MR Guide. I haven't tried standing in mine.

I can't tell how you're trimmed from the Hero shots. I would recommend the boat be trimmed so it is just slightly bow light when you are kneeling with your torso upright, so that when you lean forward for power or control strokes, the boat is trimmed dead level. That will allow it to spin and ferry with optimum effectiveness.

Poling in the MR Guide (Freedom Solo) is certainly more difficult than a wider boat, but it's certainly possible. Twenty-or-so kilograms of gear provides some added stability.

I don't use the original seat. Instead, I've installed a saddle, and it's trimmed as you describe, ezwater. I found the original position of the standard seat to be too far forward. I'm pretty happy with the set-up, however, knee pads and perhaps thigh straps and toe blocks might be next.

I'm glad so many like the video. Cheers!!

Beyond my limits at the moment but what a buz it must be to be able to do that there. Great stuff that, thanks

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

What a trip, looks great, thanks for posting!

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau