Thread: Groups that are restricted by the access issue

Default Groups that are restricted by the access issue

I came across this article via Playak
    http://playak.com/news.php?idd=1708782297617

It is an interview with a 59 year old lady who is paralysed from the lower spine down. She hasn't even got a 'hip snap' that she can use to roll, so she has had to experiment with different rolls that she can use. Yet as you can see she kayaks down some big drops! I would be impressed at any lady of her age who was able bodied doing the things she is, but add her situation to it and it is even more amazing.

This it totally brings home something. She chose kayaking because she found canoeing didn't work for her body situation. But still this is relevant to this forum and i shows an entire group who may be completely eliminated from being able to white water kayak properly due to our access situation.

There are groups set up in the US for example to give badly injured troops the chance to kayak. Being in the kayak allows them to do and go pretty much anywhere that their able bodied friends and colleagues can. In the UK though there might be issues on the majority of natural white water rivers because of cases such as the one against Coventry Council (even though it was dropped).

I know some groups who do deal with disabled people in boats. But they are almost all flat water and usually in canoes. I hate to play the whole "think of the chillldren' card or the sob story thing with disabled people. But shouldn't they be allowed their white water fix too without some silly angling association members throwing rocks at them or otherwise giving them grief?

The situation with access in this regard is even more pertinent because people with such disabilities can't always practically get to some of the more tricky ingress or egress points. So having more official access would be quite important. That would require a clarification of the law, and a Government that recognises kayaking and canoeing on natural rivers as being a legitimate use of the water for everyone, not just for someone in a pair of waders.

I would agree Simon, My wife has Reflex sympathetic Dysthrophy (Cronic pain syndrome) and finding somewhere she can launch from without overdoing it getting down to the waters edge can be tricky. We can end up getting changed and getting down to the rivers edge but not able to get on due to the amount of pain she has had to bear just getting there. Better access would hopefully allow for easier launching places.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    I hate to play the whole "think of the chillldren' card or the sob story thing with disabled people. But shouldn't they be allowed their white water fix too without some silly angling association members throwing rocks at them or otherwise giving them grief?
    This is the justification that CE use to endorse extremely restrictive 'agreements' (think Ure). Tamsin Phipps (CE access campaign) has stated that she would rather have a bad VAA rather than none at all, so that school groups, scouts etc. can get onto a river without fear of harassment, at least for a few days a year.
    CE caved in on their own gold standard of responsible 365 day access. Our NGB supports the research & findings of Caffyn but still cannot come up with an access statement that the law is already on our side.
    Play the sob story-educate the wider public that small, selfish interest groups are intent on continuing to restrict access to our heritage and countryside.

Ed Bassett and I have been involved in organising full on wilderness trips for disabled people. Disability is not a reason to say NO to an activity. We just have to come up with an innovative solution to make it possible. Ed is featured in the BCU handbook for his work on leading trips for disabled people.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default P,f,l,o,p

In the 1980's, I worked at the .....

Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Activities Centre

www.qe2activitycentre.co.uk/
    Provides outdoor activity opportunities for people with learning disabilities or physical disabilities in Bursledon, Hampshire

As an instructor. The main activity was canoeing on the River Hamble, we used Grumans,

as
    a catamaran , held together with a couple of scaffolding poles, which would carry 8 people.

It was the best job I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wood View Post
    ... that small, selfish interest groups are intent on continuing to restrict access to our heritage and countryside.
    Part of the problem, is that while many if not most individual clubs and land owners are small in numbers, they speak, act and are recognised as one.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.