Thread: Canoe England Members Forum

Default Canoe England Members Forum

After seeing the replies from the CEO on the other thread, my first thought was to stop being a CE member. However, instead, I thought I'd attempt to use my membership to raise the access a little bit more.

CE have a members forum, which has a Rivers Access Campaign sub-forum. This has very little activity on it generally, and none in the RA section.

However, I thought it worthwhile adding a post about access, to which it would be good if CE members could actively add their own opinions and questions, in a polite and constructive manner.

The post I have started is intended to open debate and is found here: http://forum.canoe-england.org.uk/De...sts&m=154&#154.

You need to be a CE member AND to register on their forum separately.

The more members who post their opinions, whatever they may be, the more likely it is that CE will think about access as a serious issue. The forum is massively under used, so the more folk who post the better.

Could you link to the "other thread" please?

Also; the comments below are my own and portray my point of view based on my imagination rather than any facts or figures whatsoever.

There is a group of paddlers (maybe only one person in the country) who's participants are not members of CE and won't sign up because they see no benefit. They paddle rivers where access has or has not been agreed. In short; they don't care about the legality or politics of access and they risk the fines if caught. (Aside: Has anyone ever been caught and fined? I've never heard of it.) You will not get replies from paddlers in this group, either on the CE forum or here, because they don't want to raise their hands and be targetted, or possibly more likely, are as blissfully unaware that web forums such as these exist as they are about the legislation.

Am I wrong?
    Last edited by bhofmann; 10th-January-2012 at 01:13 PM.

I pretty much paddle where I wish. I am not currently a member of CE as I don't agree with their stance on Access. However I do care that people face abuse and potential prosecution when enjoying their chosen activities in a responsible manner.

We need people to make a stand to push the agenda forward anything less than a clear right to public navigation on inland waters is unacceptable.

Our national governing body has little interest in rocking the boat as their major funding comes from Sport England. Clubs often have a sporting focus and there is no place on the CE board for an advocate of recreational paddlers. Paul Owen refuses to answer sensible questions about the river access campaign.

There is no accountability and very little democracy.

People need to vote with their feet and refuse to support CE until this situation changes.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post

There is a group of paddlers (maybe only one person in the country) who's participants are not members of CE and won't sign up because they see no benefit. They paddle rivers where access has or has not been agreed.....

Am I wrong?
    I think there's more than one of us in the country!

Apart from that you're not wrong.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

No you're not wrong. Many paddlers are not members. I am basically to get the licence for British Waterways etc, and I use their canoe insurance.

However, I thought that rather than simply walk away (and have to register separately for British Waterways etc), I would make at least an attempt to make CE understand that their members are important and have views. I am expecting very little response to be honest, but nonetheless I will make the effort, you never know somebody might even read it. I'm also linking it from the CE Facebook site.

It may well lead to me walking away from CE, but I'm paid up till the summer anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    No you're not wrong. Many paddlers are not members. I am basically to get the licence for British Waterways etc, and I use their canoe insurance.

However, I thought that rather than simply walk away (and have to register separately for British Waterways etc), I would make at least an attempt to make CE understand that their members are important and have views. I am expecting very little response to be honest, but nonetheless I will make the effort, you never know somebody might even read it. I'm also linking it from the CE Facebook site.

It may well lead to me walking away from CE, but I'm paid up till the summer anyway!
    There is nothing wrong with trying to promote change from within. There are many views about the correct way to promote greater access for paddlers and other river users. Some even do not want to see a clarification in the law in case we lose the current status quo. Some believe that the world is changed through letter writing campaigns and others by buying MPs a nice lunch and a glass of port.

We need a strong multifaceted approach that utilises as many different methods of campaigning as possible. The ramblers are constantly vigilant and continue to promote the rights of way network. WE could learn a lot from them and other campaigning bodies.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Well, surprisingly, Canoe England have "Liked" my post linking to that forum post on Facebook.

well - I never knew that forum existed - obviously must have missed that page in canoe focus!

I've now registered (you don't have to be a CE member- unless my laptop told the rgistration form when I wasn't looking) so will have a browse and a read after I've had my tea!
    Sam

Worth posting on UKRG? The more the merrier I would have thought

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    participants are not members of CE and won't sign up because they see no benefit....... the legality or politics of access and they risk the fines if caught. (Aside: Has anyone ever been caught and fined? I've never heard of it.)
    As someone just joining the sport my first question is Why join CE? I understand that liability insurance is included in the cost but It seems that as a social paddler with no ambitions of Elite level competition what will they do for me? I had always automatically thought that I would Join CE but now I'm unsure, Do I run the risk of being
    firstly caught (you'll never take me alive copper!)
    and secondly prosecuted.

This is just my view from outside the loop
    looking to be in the loop
    Take me koala back, Jack----Take me koala back----He lives somewhere out on the track, Mac----So take me koala back----Altogether now!
    Play Me

Cheers Quicky. That was my (somewhat forlorn) hope that at least some members would use the forum as a communication method too, though it is very much an underused forum. I linked to it from CE's Facebook page, but I think they've deleted that link too, which I am not happy about, especially as at the time CE "Liked" my link!

When I looked for the CE Forum link from the CE homepage or the Members Section yesterday, I couldn't find it! Is it just me or is it very, very well hidden? I was going to suggest it as an alternative place to ask CE again, as you've done.

The whole site has less than 100 posts which probably says something about the amount of people that know about the site. Rather than the CE page Mal, add it to your own.

Journal Entries

"I don't want to change the world,
    I'm not looking for Canoe England.
    I'm just looking for another girl... er, canoe"

Billy Bragg

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    "... I'm just looking for another girl... er, canoe"
    Does your other half know about either of these?
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Does your other half know about either of these?
    I was only (mis)quoting.

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    ... I would make at least an attempt to make CE understand that their members are important and have views. I am expecting very little response to be honest, but nonetheless I will make the effort, you never know somebody might even read it. I'm also linking it from the CE Facebook site.

...I just joined the CE forum just in case numbers help.

You said "you never know somebody might even read it" ..... nope, I didn't bother just asked that your questions get answered.
    --
    Andy

After promoting the forum and CE liking its promotion on facebook, according to the news section on CE website, they have now closed it down.

So mutch for wanting to communicate with members.

It said the forum closed 2 days before I posted a message on it

Anyway, one less thing for CE to worry about. I always think they ought to concentrate on just a few core things. I still feel they ought to dump facebook....can't imagine why a company pays for a website, promotes that website then at a flick of a switch just uses someone else's website (facebook).
    --
    Andy

That's pretty funny given that they suggested members went on their forums!

It's almost as if CE has been infiltrated by anglers! Kind of like one of those films where somebody is taken over by an alien force or something and kind of acts like themselves, but the other characters only realise that their friend isn't really their friend until it is too late!

maybe ask on FB but then again that will be next....

Sigh. Have they got any idea how to communicate with their members? No, it would seem not, or at least NEVER in public.