Thread: Mad River Outrage

Default Mad River Outrage

Last edited by monkey_pork; 31st-October-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Just helping out whilst Mr Natural here is busy elsewhere.

Link kaput !

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

I've got an Outrage.
    Mine is orange, and it's very much like [what I'd imagine] an orange would actually be like to paddle.

It's initial stability is as nervous as you'd expect, but it does settle down once you get used to it. My only real experience of it in ww is in hollow, thin, messy, jacked-up beachbreak/shoredump, and here the shape of the boat excels. The hull is very capable, it's a surprisingly dry boat (which is relative of course - you still get wet, but not as much as you'd expect).

It's a light boat and it responds very well to the slightest posture shift in any direction, it'll spin on the spot if you ask it to.

On flat water it's feels like an odd struggle, but as soon as it's hooked into moving water it all makes sense.

MR RX, so of course it dents if you look at it too hard - but it seems to make no difference to the handling, or the integrity. I'd go so far as to suggest that it'd made an unforgiving first [ever] first boat, unless you plan on swimming with it a lot, but once you've got some miles in hand, and have a feel for how water moves, I'd say that this boat's limits are only that at which no open boat is paddlable at.

I also think that mine has an odd (as in perculiar) sense of humor. It'll take me safely through all kinds of messed up water, only to then spit me out where it's calm. Sometimes it isn't having any of it at any point and we fight each other the whole time we are out ... an' I know that's a ridiculious over-anthropomorphism, but it can't all be down to me can it ?

MP, has that Outrage Royalex firmed up by now? It should have.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

Quote Originally Posted by ezwater View Post
    MP, has that Outrage Royalex firmed up by now? It should have.
    Yeah, it has now.

The material does feel ... stiffer (err, but not stiffer), ok, maybe stiffer, but on a localised basis - so whist the boat is still plenty lively, the hull feels more ... I dunno, more robust isn't really the right way to put it either - so less 'soft' I spose is the best way of putting it.

There's a "sticky" toward the top of the cboats.net Forum regarding ww paddler concerns over soft Royalex. It includes some useful information concerning how residual solvents have to sneak out to let the ABS fully harden. It seems that, under "environmental" practices, there is no way to deliver a fully hardened Royalex boat. My Synergy, bought around 1998, was soft enough in the first year that tightening the rack bar ropes would leave dents. Later it hardened.

Som of us suspect that ABS gets brittle just through long age (15+) years, but we have no proof.

Don't miss the Mad River article comparing 3 layer poly and Royalex for which I posted a link notice on the general forum.

I'm thinking about buying a used Outrage. I weigh 210-is this the right WW OC1 to buy? I'm also new to WW OC1, but have paddled OC2 all over New England. Thanks for your help

Thum, you might be a bit heavy for the Outrage. An Outrage X might be better. But this is partly a matter of taste. If you don't anticipate carrying much stuff in your ww solo boat, and if you will not paddle above class 2-3 very often, then the Outrage may behave very well for you. Having a boat sit a bit deeper in the water can aid tracking and carving.

I've only paddled the Outrage X, and at the time I must have weighed about 220. It behaved very nicely on a class 2 slalom course.