Thread: Mad River Adventure 14

Default Mad River Adventure 14

Maker's Spec

Specs

Length14' / 427 cmWidth @ waterline34" / 86 cmWeight75 lbs / 34kgMax Capacity875 lbs / 397 kg
    Features
    • Multi Chine Hull
    • Adjustable Padded Backrest
    • Padded Seats
    • Center Seat
    • Cupholders
    • Gear Tray
    • Mesh Packets
    • Padded Carry Handles
    Colors
    • Red
    • Yellow
    • Sand
    • Olive
    • Spruce
    • Camo
    • Blue
    Maker's Write Up
    Sometimes less is more and this is the case with our new Adventure 14. Complete with all the maintenance free durability and creature comforts standard—adjustable padded backrests, storage trays, cup holders, center seat . The 14 delivers enhanced stability and ease of handling on or off the water. Virtually maintenance-free.
    Last edited by Canoe Guru; 10th-September-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Angry Adventure 14

That is not the Adventure pictured but I bought one this spring. If you have one tell me how to portage it. The middle seat is at the ballance point and is bulbed our in the wrong direction. If it was curved in, in the front of it, you could use it as a yoke. But the way it is it rides right in your neck.

Unless you buy a trolley, Mad River make a yoke that clamps onto the cockpit rim of the boat. Think they call it a universal yoke.
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire. But at least it's warm!
    http://www.paddleworks.co.uk
    http://www.inflatable-canoes.co.uk

Thumbs up Moongazer8

fantastic, what a great buy

Quote Originally Posted by MOONGAZER8 View Post
    fantastic, what a great buy
    So are you the proud owner of one? If so please share your views as I wuld be interested to hear what you think of the boat?

Cheers

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Thumbs up Mad river

Yes I am a proud owner of a Mad River 14 in Green. I love it and am so glad I spent the money to get one. It goes on river and sea, just as well.
    At weekends depending on the tide, you can put it in at any slip way and off you go. Pack a flask of coffee or tea, packed lunch, pull up an chill out. The wildlife also is not at all bothered by you, I saw my first King fisher in the spring.

Enjoy

Moongazer8

Default qwerty

just sending this so i've sent three mails ands can now send pm. what a laugh

Default mad river

this is the canoe i have had it about a year first canoe so nothing to compare it to happy enough with it bit on the heavy side been on loch tummel quite alot and once down the tay from golf course at kenmore to grandtully not been out as much as i would like

Just aswell it's a tandem, as you'd two to pick it up.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default adventure 14

i like this canoe a lot a friend has one in America, we played on it a lot in lake Loisa, somehow didnt seem as heavy as i expected, and handled better

Default adventure 14

AL the guy i paddled with on holiday took out the middle bit and secured a thwart to the gunwales, and mentioned changing the seats, he was making them himself so ,i guess he would be cutting out the plastic built in Hot seats,he seemed to know what he was doing,

would removing the center seat not weaken the canoe especially at the bottom as they sit on small stilt like things attached to the bottom

Default adventure 14

il find out for you when i speek to him next, knowing Al, this wouldnt be a bodge up,if it has a tee bar it will have some form of support.but looking at the boat it has keel lines/ groves to strengthen the hull anyway doesnt it,i remember it having some sort of foam around the center for kneeling,
    Last edited by skoper; 13th-January-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: dodgy spelling.

yes does have keel lines i was thinking of removing the center seat for more room but wasnt sure if it would weaken the canoe be intresting to find out how your friend gets on

bob

Does anyone have any info or pics on removing the center seat ?

Have had a Adventure 14 for about year and a half. First canoe, had kayaks before. Got it really for day trips for me and the kids. Live in Portavogie Northern Ireland, on the sea side of the Ards Penninsula, so fair areas to use it. Also in-laws have caravan in Fermanagh, so has also been used on upper and lower lough erne. First used it with all three boys, youngest two sitting astride centre seat, but they are now getting a bit too big too be comfortable. Like the seats with backrests at front and back, comfy over a longish day. Not too heavy to lift on car, and with a pair of planks, have slid up on my own. Very stable with all the kids in, and paddles well, although can be hard work against a head wind, don't know if this is particular to it or all canoes in general. Just pushed for storage space, have tried a camping trip, and not a lot of space to pack into. Looking into removing centre seat as would like to take extended trip with the eldest on the Lough Erne Canoe Trail.

Default Going to buy one! This weekend

Having read a ton of good and positive reviews on the A14, and sat in one at the shop, convincing the wife is nearly done too, hopefully will buy one this weekend.
    Colour choice is red or green, the red im a little concerned as to its stability ie I don't want to paddle a pink boat in 2yrs time! anyone had any probs with colour fade/change?

Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I did everything that people tell you not to do!!! As a newbie to open boat I went and bought a mad river explorer 14, apparently not a good boat for a newbie at all!! But ... I love it to bits!!! It weighs a ton and I have yet to work out solo loading/unloading, it's twice as tall as I am and an absolute pig in a strong wind but I have had so much fun in it and looking forward to much more!! Officially named Wee Beastie because it is just that, so glad I bought it.

Default Mad river 14

I removed all the seats from my mad river, after reading several speculative posts. I couldn't stand the originals. This causes the boat to flex , now it just needs a bit of support. I want something that adds structural rigidity with out taking up too much space. A board running in-between the keel grooves may be a good start.