Thread: Capturing Video Film/ Photos On The Move

Default Capturing Video Film/ Photos On The Move

Well I finally got my Kodak Play Sport ZX5 waterproof video camera today after my old Flip Video camera died following my capsize of Hickling Broad!! So now my thoughts are turning towards capturing some video footage without the worry of getting the camera wet. Okay, if it falls into the water and sinks below 3 meters, it will follow a similar death, so perhaps attaching some kind of cord or float would be a good idea.

So where to mount the camera? I could buy some outriggers and attach the camera to one of these, but I haven't got the spending power to do this, so that will have to wait for now.

I was thinking of mounting the camera on bow somewhere, but how to turn it on and off when it's 12 feet away from me?

How about behind me? Closer to switch it on and off, but then there is this fat lump sitting in the way!! Perhaps make something to mount it up higher to film over my shoulders? Complicated.

Perhaps clamp it to the side of the gunwale just above the water line? That might look good, but boring if it spends 5 or 10 mins filming fish when on the wrong tack!!

Maybe attach it to the boom! That would look crazy. Probably make me sick watching it back later though.

Perhaps buy a helmet camera mount and mount it on my head. Just need to remember to duck during a tack, else that'll be another camera death!!

The easiest option would be to pop it in my pocket and just film stuff as and when, which might just end up being the route to go down. What do others do when they want to film/ take photos from their canoe?

Like you, I'm limited by not having a mount for my camera. I've been meaning to make one that clamps onto a thwart or seat, but swimbo has me house bound doing up the toilet. I think a clamp on device with a few adjustable segments would allow enough flexibility to get the view you want.

I just use a gorilla pod and wrap it onto the gunwale or a thwart. Here's an idea of what you get.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I'm a big fan of the Dogcamsport ultra-clamp clamp. I've had one for absolutely ages, and it's been battered almost to death now, but when it finally finally goes, I'd get another one in a second. The clamp-bolt is threaded 'plain' in the jaw of the clamp (with no insert), which is where mine has just failed ... but it's been given another life by simply drilling the damaged thread out and fitting a rivnut).

You get a standard tripod mounting with lots of adaptability on a good firm platform - (It clamps nicely on an Old Town gunwale anyway).
    I've added a ball-and-socket head to mine too, for even more angle options.

They do a lot of other mounting hardware too, including lots of 'bits' in case you need to make something properly specific.

I use a Pentax W60 (on intervalometer mode, as it's rubbish for video), which is waterproof, but lost-overboard is still lost however waterproof it is, so yeah, rig up some kinda safety lanyard too! I use whatever is to hand, shockcord / paracord / (bailer twine) ...

Last edited by monkey_pork; 26th-December-2011 at 10:04 AM.

I too have a playsport and have experimented with various mounts. The beauty of mounting it at the bow facing you means that you can get good footage of what you are doing. But getting it switched on and off can be a problem, unless, you spend another tenner, and get the remote control.

This video was taken with a playsport. You will see me stop recording with the remote controller at the end of the clip.

The bit of wood attached to the yoke with two strips of velcro is my secondary mount. You will see the square quick release on the right as you look at it. This wooden mount can be moved to hang overboard when required.

This next video has the bit of wood sticking out behind me to get footage looking forward. It also shows the remote being used to stop shooting.

Hope this helps.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I spent a lot of time in the back garden experimenting with mounts as my son needed the footage for a project he was doing. The quick releases were taken off my tripod and monopod, which meant I could switch the camera angles with ease. Each was attached to bits of wood which could then be located around the canoe using bungee cord of velcro. But I always made sure that the camera was attached to a safe anchor point by a leash in case of accidents.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

I have my video/still camera attached to a short lanyard and in a pocket on my buoyancy aid. I only use it when i am sailing, but i can sail one handed by putting my sheet in my tiller hand and operate the camera with my free hand. (i cannot do this paddling yet!) Using the camera this way i am in control of the camera and can zoom and compose the shots. Obviously this is not much use for taking shots of yourself but i find that shooting other people in their canoes gives more interesting footage that is continually changing. Sitting on the gunwale in a force 4 to 5 sailing one handed and concentrating on framing other canoes is somewhat challenging, but i practiced in lighter winds first. The camera is safe because it is attached to me and i can stop shooting and put it back in my pocket anytime if it gets too difficult.

This video is showing Oceanic and Jurassic sailing on Loch Ken in a force 4 to 5 at an OCSG meet. Jurassic was slightly concerned that i was following him around and assumed that i was a stalker or something until he saw the camera. Steve (Oceanic was sailing my canoe so that i could get some footage of the rig whilst i followed him in his Shearwater with outriggers)

[QUOTE=DaveS;374847]This video is showing Oceanic and Jurassic sailing on Loch Ken in a force 4 to 5 at an OCSG meet. Jurassic was slightly concerned that i was following him around and assumed that i was a stalker or something until he saw the camera. [QUOTE]
    Jurassic was also a little concerned that you'd film him falling in Dave!
    I handhold my Playsport and have it leashed onto my BA (as Dave S does). I got a body mount for it for xmas that'll be good for snowboarding, windsurfing and mountainbiking but maybe not so good for sailing. I think a Gorillapod would work well for sailing if you want to clamp the camera on the canoe but I'd be cautious with using it like that as it wouldn't take much to rip the tripod mount out. For static (clamped on to the canoe) footage I use my GoPro camera which is much more robust and has the advantage of having a super wide angle lens.

This is just the best thread ever!!!!

It's taken me about 40-minutes to read down to the bottom because I just have to watch all the vids as I go down!
    Wifey is a bit cheezed because I am using the PC in the lounge, which is connected to the TV and I think she wants to watch something on TV!! Ho hum.

Anyway some great ideas. I'll need to look into getting me a remote for the camera. I didn't know they were available to be honest. that would certainly allow the camera to be placed up front. I also like the idea of having mulitiple mounts around the canoe which can easily support the camera at short notice. Nice one Al.

I was looking at the Gorilla Pods today in Jesops. Looks very handy, though I didn't buy one because my concern was that this might move or slip slightly and allow the camera to be filming the clouds & seagulls while I was concentrating on paddling/ sailing. not ruled it out though if others are happy with them.

The Ultra-Clamp looks very good. A kind of set it up and forget about it system.

Looking at Al's camera arm, I began thinking about an arm mounted onto my rudder deck looking forward, but a foot or two higher up to look over my shoulder. Perhaps on the steel bridle stand that loops over my tiller, but I'll need a remote control to start and stop the filming. I guess the camera needs to be powered up all the time when if it is not actually filming? These Playsport camera's have internal batteries that need to be recharged once dead, so with a camera mounted far away from the paddler/ sailor, it's a case of turn it on, jump in sail/ paddle off and start filming virtually straight away before the battery dies!!!

Dave's idea of just leaving it in your pocket and filming when you can gets round this problem. I guess I'll soon know how long the battery takes to die. If it lasts a couple of hours, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your idea's Better let the wife watch her TV now.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    Well I finally got my Kodak Play Sport ZX5 waterproof video camera today after my old Flip Video camera died following my capsize of Hickling Broad!! So now my thoughts are turning towards capturing some video footage without the worry of getting the camera wet. Okay, if it falls into the water and sinks below 3 meters, it will follow a similar death, so perhaps attaching some kind of cord or float would be a good idea.

So where to mount the camera? I could buy some outriggers and attach the camera to one of these, but I haven't got the spending power to do this, so that will have to wait for now.

I was thinking of mounting the camera on bow somewhere, but how to turn it on and off when it's 12 feet away from me?

How about behind me? Closer to switch it on and off, but then there is this fat lump sitting in the way!! Perhaps make something to mount it up higher to film over my shoulders? Complicated.

Perhaps clamp it to the side of the gunwale just above the water line? That might look good, but boring if it spends 5 or 10 mins filming fish when on the wrong tack!!

Maybe attach it to the boom! That would look crazy. Probably make me sick watching it back later though.

Perhaps buy a helmet camera mount and mount it on my head. Just need to remember to duck during a tack, else that'll be another camera death!!

The easiest option would be to pop it in my pocket and just film stuff as and when, which might just end up being the route to go down. What do others do when they want to film/ take photos from their canoe?

Hi Steamer..... Use all the options above. A good mix of clips will give you room for editing after and build a more varied movie. Make sure you have a few large memory cards (32GB ideal) so you can leave the camera on for more time when reaching it is difficult (bow fixture)... I use a GoPro camera. Nice widelens, but you can´t get a sound from outside as the case is bombproof... Planning to buy a HD camcorder to add more variety of sounds and images (zoom) now... This video thing is addictive!

Far far from pro, but here is my channel at YouTube with canoeing videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Companhi...m?feature=mhee You may also find something at Vimeo (better) by searching Companhia de Canoagem
    Last edited by TonyBR; 27th-December-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: link
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Some of the best singlehanded sailing video I've seen has been taken from kite-borne cameras.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGupz_9mGc

There are links to the howto.

The battery lasts longer than you might think, but to be sure I bought a second one for a few quid. Have a look on amazon.
    I use a 4gb memory card and get a about 40 mins of footage on1080p but to be honest I actually record on 720p now as it matches my other camera and saves on editing massive files.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Nice videos Tony. You really have a nack for it, thanks for sharing.

Doug, these kite video's are very clever. Quite some skill sailing single handed and flying a kite with a camera suspended on the bottom, at the same time. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    The battery lasts longer than you might think, but to be sure I bought a second one for a few quid. Have a look on amazon.
    I use a 4gb memory card and get a about 40 mins of footage on1080p but to be honest I actually record on 720p now as it matches my other camera and saves on editing massive files.
    Al, my ZX5 has to my knowledge a built-in non-removable battery, so when the battery is dead, it's back to the car to recharge it. I think the first Playsport had a removable battery, but I could be wrong.

I too have a 4-gig card and if I select 720p (Normal rather than 60 frames a second) it tells me that I have an hour or recording time. I could always buy a bigger card or a smaller spare card.

I have ordered the Kodak remote control for it. Only cost a tenner so I was well pleased with the price.

Think I'll try the multi mount positions with one mount on the bow, one on the stern above the rudder and other filming can be done by hand, to give a variety of angles.

Steamerpoint's right it was the ZX3 that had a replacable battery the ZX5 has a built in battery that isn't user servicable. The plus point is that it has significantly longer run time than the ZX3 had. I have a 16Gig card in and I can get over two hours footage at 720p/60fps (which is about the limit for the battery). The 60fps setting has the advantage that you can use slow mo without getting a juddery effect but it gives generally better results for action/sports footage than 30fps without using as much memory as 1080p does.

Journal Entries

If you recharge via USB port, look for battery chargers that you just plug in and recharge the internal battery. Some of them are even solar rechargeable....

Check this one: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...ef=pd_sim_e_10

Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!