Thread: Other water users

Default P,f,l,o,p

One thing is certain, the Otter is making an amazing come back in the waterways of these islands,which is a brilliant

barometer of the health of the rivers and estuaries of the country,this has been their home since long before there were

people living here. Now you can even see them,[if you are lucky]in our cities,a family live in the Floating Harbour,in the

centre of Bristol ! I have seen a film on the local news.

The first thing an Otter will do when it is setting up a territory on a river is to get rid of any Mink in the vicinity.

The Mink is an alien,who is only here because of fur farming,some escaped,others were let go,their home is the continent

of North America,they are an ecological disaster here,because they eat a wide range of water dwelling creatures.

Insect lave, Molluscs, Amphibians,Fish,Reptiles,water Fowl and chicks and of course Mammals,let us not forget the Watervole.

Otters 'mostly'eat fish,this is bringing them into conflict with our 'friends'who have a vested interest in fishing and fisheries.

I imagine MP,s are already being lobbied to change the law,with regard to keeping Otter numbers down,due to the effect they

are having on the economy. Do Not Let This Happen,we should call in the massed ranks of the Conservationists before it gets

the go ahead.

Fantastic video of the otters let's hope they continue to thrive.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Seeing the return of wildlife says that we must be doing something right. It gives me some hope.

Earlier this year I was in k2 paddling between Goring and Pangbourne annd we came across otters swimming in the Thames. They stopped, looked quizzically at us then dived down, only to reappear a little further away and start playing. Absolutely magical! For a while we forgot the horrendous weather that we had been paddling in.

Graham

Nice to see them back.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Not sure when the OP video was filmed, but there was sadder news from the Dorset Stour in February 2011: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8877625.Otter_death_sparks_poisoning_fears_at_Rive r_Stour/. The results of the Iford Bridge post mortem by the University of Cardiff (ref. 1707) just lists the cause as “other” (thanRTA) (see here: http://www.otterproject.cardiff.ac.uk/otter_map.html).
    A common cause of deaths in otters is illegal trapping (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8414319.stm, and, more recently, here (http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/cy/new/131013.aspx).
    Last edited by John Saunders; 26th-December-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Default P,f,l,o,p

Otters Action at Last?Just been looking at this forum on Fishingmagic,and it makes interesting reading,there now seems to

be two fishing groups calling for the culling of Otters ! DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD TELL THE PRESS ?

The Otters are only doing what comes naturally,eating the oversized fish that the fishermen seek,do not let them die for this.

Default P,f,l,o,p

At 7:30pm tonight,9/1/2012,on the BBC West,there is a local news programme,called, Inside Out.

The subject they are looking at tonight is Otters, and are the Fishing people right in their call for them to

be killed, as a' threat to civilisation as we know it' ! I am not sure how to pick up a link,and put it on this thread,

Any body else know how?

Wink

Apparently the otters have not paid for a fishing licence......

You even get the usual idiots....
    Lord Paul of Sheffield
    Drunken Old Buffer

Re: Otters – Action at Last?

Simple - just shoot the odd otter on the quiet when no one is around and make sure you take the body home so no one can find it

Do the same with any swans you find with a bit of line wrapped round them, this way the public stays unaware

Also works if a canoeist is on his own - and the odd stray dog or child

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    At 7:30pm tonight,9/1/2012,on the BBC West,there is a local news programme,called, Inside Out.

The subject they are looking at tonight is Otters, and are the Fishing people right in their call for them to

be killed, as a' threat to civilisation as we know it' ! I am not sure how to pick up a link,and put it on this thread,

Any body else know how?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b0196pg6/?t=18m38s
    And thou shalt have a paddle De 23:13

I am sure the general public are not going to be very sympathetic to a group advocating the extermination of one of the recent success stories of conservation.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Winstanley View Post
    Otter piece starts at 18:45 and is quite interesting. Main concern from fishermen (as I see it) is that they are unhappy that a 'top tier predator' is making a comeback and perhaps challenging (?) them for that title. I can see some logic if the species gets too common that it may damage the eco-system balance but I think that's still a bit far off yet. From memory walking in the Lake District (Lakes & Rivers), I've yet to see a single otter in the wild so I don't think that they are that common yet.

Default P,f,l,o,p

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    Otter piece starts at 18:45 and is quite interesting. Main concern from fishermen (as I see it) is that they are unhappy that a 'top tier predator' is making a comeback and perhaps challenging (?) them for that title. I can see some logic if the species gets too common that it may damage the eco-system balance but I think that's still a bit far off yet. From memory walking in the Lake District (Lakes & Rivers), I've yet to see a single otter in the wild so I don't think that they are that common yet.
    Thank's Luke Winstanley for sorting out the link, good work !

MaxiP, I paddle that stretch of the lovely, wild River Avon as often as I can, at least 10 times last year, and I have not seen

hide nor hair of an Otter. So far, I live in hope, but the professional fisherman claimed he had seen 5 that morning,

another fairy DIES. I agree, as yet, Otters are not that common, but that will not stop these 'guardians of the river'killing them.