Thread: beautiful sailing canoe

Default beautiful sailing canoe

Hi all

I have a photo stored of a sailing canoe, called cream of manchester, which i believe i got from this site. Can anyone tell me its design name, as i very much fancy making one next year. I especially like the amount of deck used, as it reminds me of the 2 or 3 wooden runabouts i have restored in the past. This is probably the best looking canoe i have seen, and am hopeing someone knows what it is, and where i can source the plans. Happy xmas to one and all. Regards Tony

I made and sold it last year. I have photos of the build on our facebook page- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solway...1.861616675..1
    It isnt availiable as plans and the hull is a fibreglass shell that the wooden deck is built on.

This is the "Cream of Manchester": finest looking sailing canoe I've ever seen!

This was built by Solway Dory for a member of the Open Canoe Sailing Group. DaveS of Solway Dory is a member here, and will doubtless be along to explain more in due course

Beat you to it Greg,
    I will answer any questions that you want. The facebook photos have lots of explanations with them . They are on the wall photos

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    The facebook photos have lots of explanations with them . They are on the wall photos
    The build of the "Cream of Manchester" is rather a long way down the wall: this photo was with the hull nearing completion at dates from last February...

...and the earliest post that can be retrieved is with this photo from 6th January:

Going directly to the photo album appears to allow tracing of the earlier offerings, such as this one:

Seems like half a a lifetime ago!

mmm, now that is nice. The sort of craftmanship a self-confessed bodger like me can only dream of...

I believe that she's currently for sale. This is a bit of a surprise to me as her owner has been a regular at OCSG meets over the last year while I've been involved. I can confirm she's a lovely canoe as I've had a sail in her (and fallen out of her! ). If the OP or anyone else is seriously interested they could PM their contact details to me (or maybe Dave S?) and I'll forward them to the owner. I have no idea how much he's looking for.

Here she is under sail on Ullswater.

Great pics Chris. Am I right in saying this design is more towards the 'sailing canoe that only gets sailed, not paddled' end of the spectrum? I ask because it would seem to me to be less suited to conventional paddling with the paddler situated in the middle like that on a broad beamed boat. I'm sure she flies along though.

It is a sailing canoe, that can be paddled, rather than a paddling canoe that can be sailed. It is easiest to paddle such a canoe with a long double paddle, although it can be paddled with a single paddle. A canoe with a rudder can be paddled without the corrective J stroke because with the tiller tied of centrally the canoe will track like it is on rails.

I can't comment on what it's like to paddle but the difference between sailing my Royalex canoe and this canoe (which is designed primarily to sail) is pretty huge. It accelerates so much faster and feels so much more stiff and responsive than a plastic boat. It's simply the right tool for the job if you want to sail.