Rocker: 6,35 cm (2 ½”) bow • 6,35 cm (2 ½”) stern
    Gunwale: wood
    Colors: yellow
    Weight: 19 kg (42 lb)/24,5 kg (54lb)
    Seats: Caned seats
    Options: Webbed seats
    Standard: Contoured yoke and thwart

Makers Write Up

Another proven, classic design, the 16 foot Champlain was designed in the early 1900's by the renowned Peterborough Canoe Company of central Ontario. If the Prospecteur is the versitile pickup truck of the traditional canoe genre, the Champlain is the sportscar.
    Popular for cruising and racing, the Champlain's narrow beam gives it more speed and a responsive feel. It is ideal for tandem canoe tripping and the the narrower width, gentle rocker and smooth chine transition at the ends make wonderful for classic solo paddling.
    The graceful lines and excellent performance of the Champlain will give you years of paddling pleasure.

Default Esquif Champlain Review.

I have owned a Champlain for two years now and am quite impressed with the canoe. It is of kevlar and fiberglass (vynal ester gell coat) with a shallow arc hull. I ordered mine with ash trim, web seats and a center seat of cane. I carry a golden retriever and the web seats seemed like a good decision for obvious reasons. My canoe weighs in at 54 pounds empty. The rocker is 2.5" both ends and I Paddle the 16 footer reversed in the bow seat. I use the Champlain primarily for lake camping (flat water). It provides ample room for my 680 pound payload counting myself and my 80lb golden. How does it paddle?

Empty; the Champlain is a feather on the water and very, very speedy. Water displacement obviously is minimal and the boat is indeed suseptable to wind. When paddling empty; I put a fifty pound ballast in the nose and she is fine. The boat responds instantly to the most minor correction strokes. I can cock the blade at a slight angle on the power stroke and usually no J stroke is needed. Primary stability is fair. Once in the saddle the secondary stability is great, in my estimation.

Loaded: Primary and secondary stability is great! The canoe is solid as a rock and handles easilly with minimal correction. When loaded; average wind is not a problem at all. With heavy wind, the canoe seems easier to control than when empty.

Repairs: I have sustained minor scratches and a gouge or two all on the bottom. These scratches were into the gell coat only and could have been left alone. But, I couldn't keep my hands off. I sanded the bottom and applied epoxy resin to the gouges and sanded ...Finally I rolled epoxy gell coat on the bottom and allowd to cure. Thousand grit paper finished off the job. And yes I used epoxy resin on top of the vynal ester layup. Not a problem at all. I researched this extensively with Esquif and also local boat manufacturers.

I recommend the Champlain to anyone looking for a good lake boat. Not a boat for rapids. In addition; I have ordered a Esquif 17.5 Mistral in twin tex. I can't haul two eighty pound dogs and gear in the Champlain. The Mistral should handle that problem. A review will come shortly (one month) on the Mistral 17.5.
    Last edited by loucksgl; 18th-November-2010 at 11:03 PM.