Rocker: 5.8cm (2") bow • 5.8cm (2") stern
    Gunwale: wood or vinyl
    Colors: burgundy
    Weight: 26.76kg (59lbs)
    Seats: Webbed seats, sliding seat
    Options:
    Standard: Countoured yoke and thwart

Makers Write up

Designed for canoe camping, the Avalon is extremely quick, light and easy to maneuver. It is built for those paddlers who occasionally face rapids.

Its design ensures straight tracking and allows for excellent glide between paddle strokes. Its adjustable front seat allows the canoe's trim to be changed according to the paddlers' weight. A kneeling thwart is also avalaible for easy solo paddling.
    Last edited by Canoe Guru; 2nd-March-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Default Nice Canoe

I have owned this canoe for over 5 yrs now. It performs well loaded for lake tripping or for mild to medium whitewater.Its quick turning response from its slight rocker is nice on rivers, and tracks well for lake trippin.
    Before purchasing I compared models plus the advantage to compare friends canoes & others I have tripped in made the decision rather easy.I am very pleased with both the build of the canoe and its performance.

Default New Avalon

I bought one of these last week from the very affable Aaron @ Squarerock. I didn't get a chance to paddle it because the weather was atrocious on the day I collected it. It's blue with wood gunwhales and once I saw it, I had to have it - I was smitten !
    I don't have much to compare it with paddling wise, which is perhaps a good thing as I'll have few preconceived ideas but I think we'll get along nicely once I learn how to paddle it properly.
    Can't get it on the water yet due to other commitments but will give my views on it as soon as I get the opportunity.
    Still haven't learnt how to attach photos yet, but again, I will do so when I can.

As an aside, because the boat has been in storage for a while, the colour has dulled slightly. It's made of Royalite, so does anyone know what I can use to make it bright and shiney again ?

Old Man

Default Picture

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I bought one of these last week from the very affable Aaron @ Squarerock. I didn't get a chance to paddle it because the weather was atrocious on the day I collected it. It's blue with wood gunwhales and once I saw it, I had to have it - I was smitten !
    I don't have much to compare it with paddling wise, which is perhaps a good thing as I'll have few preconceived ideas but I think we'll get along nicely once I learn how to paddle it properly.
    Can't get it on the water yet due to other commitments but will give my views on it as soon as I get the opportunity.
    Still haven't learnt how to attach photos yet, but again, I will do so when I can.

As an aside, because the boat has been in storage for a while, the colour has dulled slightly. It's made of Royalite, so does anyone know what I can use to make it bright and shiney again ?

Old Man

Here's a picture.

That looks really nice, especially the clever adjustable seat. Do you know what she weighs?
    Re your question......Silicon spray, then buff up. Keeps plastics brilliant. Halfords cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    That looks really nice, especially the clever adjustable seat. Do you know what she weighs?
    Re your question......Silicon spray, then buff up. Keeps plastics brilliant. Halfords cheapest.

That was a while ago . Manufacturers specs stated 26.76kgs. I never did weigh it and although it wasn't a heavy boat, based on current experience I'd say it weighed a bit more than that.
    I sold it 3/4 years ago. Part of me regrets it as it was a nice flatwater boat, but I've gone down the route of lighter boats now and I don't have room to store them all.
    Esquif went under recently with the demise of royalex, but they've just announced that they are on the up again with a new material called T formex. Whether they will continue to make the Avalon with the new material, I've no idea, or what will (if anything) find its way to the UK.

I now use Aerospace 303 or Halfords Armorall on my current Royalex boat.

Here's a better picture of the Avalon.

And here's a link to the manufacturers specs.http://www.esquif.com/en/touring/avalon/
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Esquif have teamed up with Venture canoes over here - and T Formex canoes are enroute to the UK as we speak !

Allegedly.