Thread: Which canoe will be best for sailing with Solway Dory Exped 35

Default Which canoe will be best for sailing with Solway Dory Exped 35

Hi,

I am in a fortunate position, i have a Solway Dory Exped 35 (high spec) on order and 4 boats to choose from to fir it to, but need your advice which will be best for sailing;

Venture Ranger 14
    Venture Peace River Cruiser 17
    Venture Hunter 17.5
    Mad River Explorer 15

Don't ask why I have so many boats... I buy them when they are too cheap not to, hope to sell them on, but can never part with them!! (Plus I do coach)

I went for the exped rig as I want to use it on my 5* canoe assessment (some point in the next 2 years) so was thinking about having a basic set-up I can use on a whitewater/all round boat- currently my ranger 14, with a more specific sailing set-up on one of the others. I will mainly be sailing solo I guess, and I am based in Worcester so sea sessions will be few and far between. I work at a lake though so can practice in relative safety.

Your thoughts?...

I would use the Ranger 14 if you plan to paddle steer and go solo. The moderate rocker helps with the stability, yet it is small enough to paddle solo when there is little or no wind. The Explorer 15 would also be good.

If you plan to fit a rudder and go two-up, I would go for the larger canoes myself.

Your rig should work nicely with any of your four tandems... but they'll sail quite differently.

Which canoe will you be using for your 5-Star? Might make a difference. Convention would probably suggest the Explorer... as that's presumably got a bit more rocker. If that's the case... stick the rig on and start getting used to it: the length's ideal for light-moderate winds, the manoeuverability will help with tacking, and I'd expect you to get along nicely.

The obvious alternative would be sailing the Peace River Cruiser or Hunter. Although I've not had a chance to paddle either, the PRC has long looked like the pick of the two, especially for solo use. The PRC should cruise wonderfully under sail: a 17'+ waterline is really nice once you get going: gives excellent directional stability, and from what I've seen to date, is good news in strong wind and big waves.

The PRC wouldn't go through the tack as easily as the Explorer... so on small puddles and narrow rivers that might make it considerably harder work... but for big-lake cruising and coastal cruising, I suspect the advantages would more than compensate.

Thanks for the advice, I'm currently thinking of fitting the supplied sailing rig + clip on lee board to the ranger 14 which i intend to do my 5* in, then will make a thwart and mast foot to fit to the PRC. When i can get some funds together i can then buy a rudder and proper lee board for the prc, so i have an improv sailing boat and a more dedicated set-up. Nice.

I reckon Greg's spot on with his advice and I think your plan to have two boats set up to sail is a good one. I can't see any point in having two similar boats for sailing though so I'd go for one from either end of the spectrum (ie one short rockered boat and the other long and less rockered). The PRC will make a great big lake/coastal cruiser if you put a leeboard and rudder on it and will be big enough to take a passenger and/or luggage if you want. I think Gailainne's boat is a MR Explorer 15 and that sails well (he has a 44sq ft Bermudan).

I think Greg and Chris have said it all. The larger canoe will make the best full sailing canoe with board and rudder, with one of your smaller ones for paddle sailing. With the 35 it is probably worth using the small canoe that has the most freeboard and stability, which ever that is.
    You may also find that the fixed pivoting leeboard will be easier to use for paddle sailing.