Thread: Sailing A Sevylor Colorado

Default Sailing A Sevylor Colorado

Hi
    Has anybody fitted a sail to a Sevylor Colorado?
    Regards
    Oldeng
    Knock on the sky and listen to the sound

I have read about an optional sail package but haven't been able to find anything on the web. A sail package is available for the Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak. The hard part may be finding a way to mount the sail with enough stiffness to prevent the mast flopping around; one way to do that would be to react the heeling force of the sail to an outrigger like here http://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/CANOE_RIG - the Hobie also uses outriggers. If you don't want the outriggers, maybe you can find a way to attach the mast and leeboard to your seat, but it would be a bit tippy.

A few years ago I successfully used a sail on a kayak without outriggers, by using a Bruce Foil instead of a leeboard. The BF reacts the heeling force of the sail automatically without tipping the boat - there is information on the web.
    Terry Haines

Boats are like rabbits: you can have one or many, but not two - A. Onassis

You could look at the WindPaddle sail. Doesn't need a mast, just a pair of dees to clip on to. It's purely a downwind sail, though.

Fitting a sailing rig to an inflatable is never going to be very successful. I wouldn't recommend trying to fit one of ours as it will not be stiff enough or have strong enough fastening points. A simple downwind rig like the windpaddle sail may work though, but we don't have any experience with this sort of rig.

I once went sailing on a Tinker, it was a strange, floppy experience. Mind you it had a slow puncture which didn't help.

My views on inflatables and sailing are along the same lines as Dave S. Here's an earlier thread with some relavant comments:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nker+traveller

Thanks for your comments, I will do some more research and feed back to you all.

Kind Regards

Oldeng
    Knock on the sky and listen to the sound

I am in the process of making a sailing rig for my Sea Eagle fast track , I've made a box which fits between the tubes at the front of the boat & held with straps going around the boat to keep it in place. I am going to use a windsurf mast & sail, I have an old sailboard sail I am trying to decide how much to cut it down as it is around be 6 sq mts (be great to try it without cutting it but don't think I could hold on to it) Thinking of a more realistic 1.5 to 2 sq mts, trying to get it done for when we head south for the winter, too cold to try it out here now. I wasn't going to bother making lee boards at the moment, the plan is for the wife to use a paddle in place of a lee board & me to use a paddle for steering.

Although I am not expecting too much I expect to be able to get upwind a bit, gave people plenty of amusement in Feb. on the Mar Menor using a couple of poundworlds large umbrellas. Could get moving along downwind & on a broadreach quite nicely with a bit of control that was until it got too windy & blew the umbrellas inside out
    Ed

Hi , have you finished the sailing rig yet , I am very intrested in how you got on

Ditto any news ?

It works with the pathfinder 11 inflatable...

Apparently I can't post a link until I have two posts.. So the link to the above is

http://m.youtube.com/index?#/results...k%20inflatable

Hi,
    Just a little information that may (or may not) be of help. A lot of fun can be had fitting a sailing rig to an inflatable....PROVIDED its only intended use is in sheltered warmish waters. A few years ago I only had a small car but wanted a sail boat I could carry in the boot of my car. I purchased an inflatable canoe and did exactly as you suggest using straps to hold the rig to the boat.
    I used a steering oar for this set up and grew to love this ancient solution to steering.

This is one of the few pics I have of my set up http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2ljcUuhDfH...0/Image021.jpg Cheap and cheerful.... but I had many surprised looks when people saw I had a complete sail boat packed away in the boot of my very small car! It was quite capable of sailing into wind and it tacked on a dime due to its rocker. Another advantage of using a steering oar is that by adjusting the length you adjust the helm balance.

Jim Luckett from Sailboatstogo is a great character and I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have.
    Happy sailing!
    Andy

A man spends the first half of his life learning habits that shorten the other half of his life.

A man spends the first half of his life learning habits that shorten the other half of his life.

This may be a cheep way of giving it a try, only 29.95 and a handy bit of kit to keep anyway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canoe-sail...7#ht_170wt_922
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Cool

That looks fun I shall look into that methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Badger View Post
    That looks fun I shall look into that methinks.
    I also posted this link in the Gear section, unfortunately another member had already bought one and had problems with the pole breaking. The feedback on Ebay is all good so you pays your money and takes a chance.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Cool

I shall first attempt to make one.