Thread: Buying paddles from across the pond?

Default Buying paddles from across the pond?

Hi all

Apologies if this post is not in the right area, I was wondering if any of my fellow Brits have had any luck saving some money and importing paddles themselves? If so could you give me any recommendations as to which shops/manufacturers will export to the uk?

Cheers all

Paul

Not tried with paddles, but have bought other things from the USA. Bear in mind that customs will charge you 20% VAT on top of the purchase price and the shipping cost. There's also import duty which is less, but as a rough guide, add 25% to the US list price.

Mary

I have once bought a sports watch from the US and the dealer did know how to limit the damage to the customers by declaring a lesser value so it even got under free-import limit (which it was anyway, but still). Perhaps you could ask them first if they could do that for you? So state on the green label that the package does contain a paddle but priced at 25 USD rather than the actual value? For all customs know it could be a weird shaped shovel ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by michielv View Post
    I have once bought a sports watch from the US and the dealer did know how to limit the damage to the customers by declaring a lesser value so it even got under free-import limit (which it was anyway, but still). Perhaps you could ask them first if they could do that for you? So state on the green label that the package does contain a paddle but priced at 25 USD rather than the actual value? For all customs know it could be a weird shaped shovel ;-)
    But bear in mind that the goods can be confiscated and you can be prosecuted for false declarations - unlikely, I know, (and possibly unfair, since it is not the recipient who makes the declaration) but it's a risk.

And returning it if faulty will be pretty near impossible.

I have occasionally bought stuff by mail order from US or Canada, but only if it was unavailable from a UK seller - part of the reason for the apparent 'mark up' is that the UK retailer has paid the duty and shipping costs, and has to levy the VAT, and takes the 'returns' risk.

Support your local retailers, or you'll have none.
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pyranha View Post
    But bear in mind that the goods can be confiscated and you can be prosecuted for false declarations - unlikely, I know, (and possibly unfair, since it is not the recipient who makes the declaration) but it's a risk.

And returning it if faulty will be pretty near impossible.

I have occasionally bought stuff by mail order from US or Canada, but only if it was unavailable from a UK seller - part of the reason for the apparent 'mark up' is that the UK retailer has paid the duty and shipping costs, and has to levy the VAT, and takes the 'returns' risk.

Support your local retailers, or you'll have none.
    I fully agree with that, but like you said, if a certain product or brand is not available you might have to resort to importing it yourself. BTW: the sportswatch was a similar case, the model I wanted was available here but at almost double the cost (90 euro's instead if the 47 including p&p I paid) and the shop that sold them already told me he was quitting the brand and would not be able to give any service.

Besides, if I buy stuff from overseas or even within my country I don't expect to ship them back. Even if they are damaged I expect to sort out something with the seller but shipping things back and forth only costs more than it is worth. I have received damaged boats and paddle shafts in the past but either things were not as bad as they seemed or I could repair it myself and sort things out with the manufacturer. They can't help it either if a courier is convinced a carbon/kevlar boat is really superstrong so it can be underneath all those heavy books and parcels

best thing is to buy the paddle over there on a trip, and bring it back on the plane.
    once you have to get it shipped costs start adding up and it might not be worth it unless it's a paddle you really want, and simply can't get over here (but then the money question becomes secondary).

Hi all

Ok I have done it Sanborn paddles http://www.sanborncanoe.com/sanborncanoe...addles.htm

Have a sale on 20% discount when you type christmas in the checkout. They will ship to the uk any paddle of length 60" and below. shipping for up to 8 paddles is $46 dollars I wanted the wapasha paddle but needed a 63" this proved somwhat expensive on postage so i have ordered the Sams special and the gunflint straight.
    Of course Vat and import duties would have to be paid (not sure how much this is? guessing 25%) but it works out to be about 78 a paddle if you buy 2 before import duties and tax

food for thought anyway

cheers

Paul

Postage from Sanborn for my gunflint was 25,customs and vat etc came to 27

Can't recommend http://dri-kiwoodworking.com/ enough. Bought a pair of ash beaver tails from them recently - beautifully made, elegant and effective, and about 80 the pair plus a bit of import duty. I've used them several times at the club I belong to, and they have been much admired. Only hiccup is that the cost of postage rockets if they are longer than 60". I'm 5'11", and paddle solo with a 58" paddle very happily. I know a lot of people like longer paddles, but I find that off-side strokes are much easier with a shorter paddle.

No connection with Rick at dri-ki other than being a very satisfied customer.

Philip.

On the banks of the mighty mississippi in Minnesota, USA

Hey guys,
    This is Zak from Sanborn Canoe Co. I'd be glad to help with any questions regarding shipping to the UK. We ship to the UK as cheap as we can. And can bundle multiple paddles together for the same price as shipping just one. So shipping comes in pretty cheap if bundled together. Let me know how I can help
    Co-founder/craftsman at Sanborn Canoe Co. - a handmade canoe, kayak and stand up paddling brand.

Mountain Equipment Coop ( mec.ca ) in Canada and Recreational Equipment Incorporated ( rei.com ) in the USA each do a large catalogue business and do lots of international sales.