Thread: Great Glen Canoe Trail by Donald MacPherson. Mini review and reviewer request.

Default Great Glen Canoe Trail by Donald MacPherson. Mini review and reviewer request.

I've been sent a copy of the Great Glen Canoe Trail by Donald MacPherson. I've not had a chance to read it fully and won't have for quite some time, however from the quick look through I have given it it looks like a very useful guide for anyone planning on doing the trip.

It certainly deserves more of a review than this so I am asking for a volunteer who has done the canoe trail and wants to review this. Step forward and I will send you the book to read and review on SotP.

If we do not get a volunteer then someone planning to do the trip would be a second choice but it would mean probably two reviews, one to say how they found it as a read and one after the trip to say how accurate or helpful it turned out to be.
    John

Hi John,

I've done the trail twice. Once as a personal trip in 3days, once helping to lead a trip with my work under the careful eye of Ray Goodwin (a man there is some much to learn from in the outdoors, especially when it comes to open canoeing) am planning on doing it in 2012 in under 24hrs for a local charity hopefully doing the Spey the next day.

I would be very happy to review the book.

Thanks

Alan

Good. Drop me a PM with your address and I will get it posted on Monday.
    John

Looking forward to hearing your review.

The guidebook was part of my project to create a number of outlets for information. Its main target was to those who have never completed a multiday trip/expedition as well as offer access/egress information to seasoned paddlers.

All proceeds of the book go back into the maintenance fund to keep the Great Glen Canoe Trail open for at least the next 10 years.

Fingers crossed you will like it and happy to answer any questions that forum users have about the trail, wildcamping, access, and sailing on the canal sections

Donald

There is also a podcast on the same subject here

http://web.me.com/simon.willis/SeaKayakRoutes/Podcasts/Podcasts.html

I
    like the idea of Scandinavian style shelters and fire pits but not so sure about the predicted visitors of numbers of 10,000!

Clean forgot about doing that with Simon at the Paddle Show just past.

Should also highlight the five short videos I created with fellow canoe experts Nancy Chambers (Glenmore Lodge) and Dave Rossetter (Standing Waves). Available through the gallery section of the website or direct through you tube - http://www.youtube.com/user/greatglencanoetrail