Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova Craft Prospector 15.6 SP3

Fully understand, would you be willing to tell me the place where you bought it from as they seem few and far between. Again, understand if you don't wish to reveal but I am considering a purchase myself.
    Mick

Further, Like you I have been delaying because of the weight issue so your comments are very interesting to me and may be the thing that saves me several more months of dithering....

Thanks
    Mick

Hi Mick,
    I have an SP3 and am based in south lakes if you fancy a test paddle and maybe more importantly a test lift!
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Cumbria, thank you, that is a wonderful offer. I am pretty busy in September but if you are happy can I give you a call next time I am free and if it fits with you I would love to have a good look and lift - thanks
    Mick

No worries, drop me a pm with dates etc.
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

We have had our SP3 prospector over a year now, and again I thought time to share thoughts.

Previously I have paddled Royalex 15' NC Prospectors a lot as they were our main instructor work boat, we also own and love an SP3 NC Prospector 17'. I have also used a Wenonah Prospector 15 and 16 for a few trips, and lots of swapping and comparing on other trips.

The bad points
    Like all SP3's, it weighs a lot. I only notice this at the loading and unloading stage, and can be worked around.
    It is a pain to stick things too, again like many plastics.
    It is quite wide, noticeable in waves or getting your edge on.
    The bow is more 'bulbous' than the Royalex version or the Wenonah, making it slam a little more.
    The seats are too low as standard, even for my 5' and size 3 footed wife to get feet under and comfy when kneeling.

The good points
    It is almost indestructible. Our is an ex-hire boat, that has been well (ab)used for years, and still it is fine. SP3 is bomber.
    It is a nice paddle, balancing speed, stability and water-shedding ability in waves.
    It is deeper and has more rocker than the 17' version, and so with lighter or medium loads it is drier on rivers and in waves. It allows 'hobby horsing' more than the 17'er.
    It is really stable, and predictable on edge. Slightly less nervous feeling than the Wenonah.
    It has marginally less windage than the Royalex version.
    You can paddle it solo, two or three up just fine.
    Outfitting is good - proper dropped seat hangers and comfy seats, handles to grab etc.

Overall
    Compared to the Wenonah, I think it is a bit more 'confident' on the water - drier and more stable. I do think it is a tad slower and a tad less responsive in bigger water. But just a tiny bit...
    Compared to the Royalex version it is less sleek at the waterline, and lower in windage/freeboard. This makes it slower, but easier in wind.
    This is a dry, big loading all round boat. It err's on Transit Van rather than people carrier - but that is not a bad thing.

A cracking 'all round' boat for solo and family paddles. Don't be put off by the near 16' length - it only feels it on dry land. It carries lots of gear, responds well (especially with good trim and a touch of edge) and is capable of all sorts. Most at home on a big loch or moving water with a couple of people on board.

IMGP9202 by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Solo and lightly loaded:
    IMGP9636 by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Two up, no gear
    Canoeing River Earn by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Canoeing River Earn by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Spot the bow shape difference - 15.6'SP3 on left, 17' SP3 on the right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12