Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova Craft Prospector 15

Default Nova Craft Prospector 15

PROSPECTOR 15’
    An all new extension of our famous Prospector line, the P15 delivers a ton of performance in a scaled down package. The P15 is nice and stable for leisurely pursuits but has lots of secondary stability to handle rougher waters. Possessing the all round easy handling characteristics of the Prospector family, this little gem is perfect for day trips, weekend getaways or responsive solo and tandem whitewater fun.
    Specs:
    Length: 15”
    Beam: 36’
    Center Depth: 15’
    Bow Depth: 23’
    Bow Rocker: 2’
    Stern Rocker: 2’
    Capacity: 850lbs

Weight:
    Fiberglass: NA
    Kevlar Cap: NA
    Kevlar Spectra: NA
    Blue Steel: NA
    Royalex lite: 60lbs
    Royalex: 70lbs
    SP3 Poly: NA

Talking Nova Craft Prospector 15' Royalite A Review

Having had the canoe now for about 14 months, an upgrade from the heavier SP3 after 1 month I feel the time is nigh to sing its praises. And sing I will, well not literally, I wouldn’t put that upon you!

Company Description

The Prospector 15 is a scaled-down version of our larger Prospectors that's faithful to the original lines in every way. You get all the great handling features that make the Prospector a paddling legend in a package that's a bit smaller and more responsive. The P15 is an ideal choice for paddlers who want a tripping boat but don't need the extra volume. Its extra responsiveness also makes the P15 a fun tandem playboat.

I started paddling in a mix of Venture Prospectors and Old Town 158 Discovery's. I loved the prospector and in my mind the venture design is arguable better than the Nova Craft but the romantasism of the Chestnut design drove me to Nova Craft, that and the standard of finish which is second to none.

The Discovery’s were like paddling bath tubs in comparison so the prospector it was. My first purchase of an SP3 proved to be too heavy for comfort as I spend the majority of my time paddling solo and carrying was less than pleasurable so just a month later I sold it and bought the Prospector 15’ In Royalex Lite. This weighing in at only 27Kg.

I would like to add at this point that the SP3 is a fantastic boat and amazing value for money, weight was the only reason for the swap.

My Needs

I needed a canoe that I could paddle solo primarily and tandem when needed. It was to be an all rounder as I was relatively new to canoeing I wanted to experience all types of the sport. The Prospector being ideal for this. The other consideration was the length of my garage, a little under 16’ so a 15’ it had to be.

The outfitting of the canoe was by far superior to the other canoes I’d paddled, the seats being laced looked good and proved comfortable, the carrying handles a dream as unlike the SP3 they curve in an upwards arch ensuring a comfortable hold. The yoke is far better than others I have used and is a ‘pleasure’ to carry. The seats are hung from the gunwales by bolts through pegs which I believe to be more of the traditional manner of hanging seats.

I tend to use a kneeling thwart unless tandem so this was the first addition, hung in the same manner as the seats, nice and low for a low centre of gravity. All fittings are in ash and care has obviously been taken in their manufacture.

Modifications;

Kneeling thwart, a must, also in ash with hip blocks.
    Lacing and air bags, these have just been upgraded from Land Rover inner tubes due to the weight of them. Protected from dog claws by the use of carry mats.
    The lacing incorporates plastic clips for hanging bailer, camel bak etc.
    Micro cell floor pads to save the old knees
    And currently underway is the removal of the yoke to be replaced as a quick release affair to allow for more paddling positions, also safety. And the addition of an extra thwart to strengthen up after the removal of the yoke.
    Loads of bumps, scrapes and scratches, which are a true sign the canoe is ‘cherished and used’

The story so far;

The canoe has seen use on rivers up to grade 3 – 4 lake tripping, ice breaking, canals full of pollutants and shopping trolleys. A play thing for kids… and big kids alike filled with water more times than it should . Filling with people for fun and kit for epic adventures and camping. Its been in the sea, travelled miles on the car and has not faltered once. I know what Lloyd means when he says he would marry it if it were legal , well maybe not going that far but, hey, it’s a good, proven friend.

It is a real joy to paddle, it will handle as well in moving water as I am capable of, it leans nicely although will bite you if pushed too much and is as graceful as I can allow it to be.

All in all it’s a great boat, doing exactly what you would expect, its stable and yet fun, tracks reasonable well turns on a sixpence and has given me hours of pleasure, second only to my family.

It is not as fast or agile as some but as an all round package is ideal for me. Being hewn from royalite is easily portagable and a dream to car top after the weight of a plastic boat.

Oh! And its red which is ‘the’ only colour for this boat.
    Leone_blanco

Great review

I have a green version and agree with all you have written, mine is the Royalex version and is heavy [ish] compared to similar spec Rx canoes. As time has gone on I wish I had opted for the Rxlite version, as weight does tend to limit use.

I often think of installing a kneeling thwart, however working out it's position leads me to think It would be move of a hazard as you would be possibly trapped by the yoke in a spill..........your thoughts would be appreciated.

Some pictures of the way you have outfitted it would be great also

Cheers

Sprout

Default Adding a thwart to my floppy canoe

As I decided to alter my carrying yoke to that of a quick release affair It became apparent that the canoe was now a touch 'floppy' due to the removal of a brace. A thwarte was needed. I ordered one from Beer Creak, which arrived the following day, a basic ash affair to match the rest of the fittings.

After measuring twice and only having to cut once the thwart was ready to fit. This I positioned approx 18cm to the rear of the bow seat, this would give me the rigidity required whilst still providing a large open space to move around in.

Again I measured and re-measured and drilled two holes either side, fitting the yoke bolts and nuts.

The Yoke was fitted with one bolt either side with over sized washers and wing nuts positioned under the gunwales so as not to catch me or the car when car topping. The yoke on the top of the gunwales as was suggested elsewhere on this site.

The new yoke position

Close up of the fittings, highlighting the need to clean 'under the rim'

Job done. the next step will be to see if it is practical to loose the yoke altogether, oh and to get some type of blanking plug for the holes left in the gunwales.

Its obviously not a particularly demanding task technically, however someone may benefit. Besides I'm as poor at DIY as AndyM is to the J-Stroke.
    Leone_blanco

Default Nova Craft SP3

Agree with everything you say except the colour......There's only one colour..........GREEN.

Here's a photo of 3 boats we trimmed out ourselves in ash

Here's one before the stickers went on

I hope you'll agree...It looks good

Pete

Default Gunwales

You can buy them, about £200 I think. They are easy enough to fit, just have lots of G clamps handy.

Here's a better photo of them. I would say they are as good if not better than the gunwales on Mad River boats and certainly better than those I've seen on Nova Craft (photo only) boats and for £30 a set I think we did well

here's a couple of the making process

Planning the board up

Cutting the gunwale

Shaping the gunwale

incredible boat

I've owned mine for a month now and so far i have no complaints other than it seems a bit fragile. It's lovely and light and your paddle strokes tranfer tremendous power to it, it skips along the surface like a leaf in the water.

I love this boat i really do, but i'm a little scared of taking into white water due to the amount of deep scratches it picked up on a recent Loch Shiel trip. Those scratches were completely my fault of course, (dragging it onto the beach loaded with kit) but i've not treated it any differently to the mad river explorer i used to paddle and that didnt seem as prone to scratching. It;s my first Roylaex boat though do i guess i need to be extra careful with this one.

Love it though, it feels very natural and posotive to paddle this one, so much nicer than then MR explorers which by comparison are like paddling a canal barge.

I'll post some photo's of me drilling holes in it (which was also very easy due the the mostly evenly spaced rivets on the gunwales.

If anyone has any doubts about this boat, just get one, you wont be disapointed.

just thought i'd add something

i spent a day practising rescues in this on loch awe last week.

When swamped this boat is bloody difficult to remain upright in, i was trying to bail it out havnig tipped it and it just kept rolling over and taking on more water so i gave up and tried to paddle it to shore. Pretty hairy i have to say.

Still at least i know this so when i happens for real i can be ready :P

Hi.
    Rather than start a new thread. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the black kneeling mats, that LAS247 has glued into his red prospector, in the photos above?
    Thanks.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to find this out for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Deeky View Post
    Hi.
    Rather than start a new thread. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the black kneeling mats, that LAS247 has glued into his red prospector, in the photos above?
    Thanks.

Argos and Tesco were selling them when I got mine

b&q also sell the mats that interlock

Thanks. I will go and have a look in B&Q and Tesco and Argos this week.

Netto sometimes have them as well, these I think work out the cheapist if they have any

Cheers

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Quote Originally Posted by nakedfiremaker View Post
    incredible boat

I've owned mine for a month now and so far i have no complaints other than it seems a bit fragile. It's lovely and light and your paddle strokes tranfer tremendous power to it, it skips along the surface like a leaf in the water.

I love this boat i really do, but i'm a little scared of taking into white water due to the amount of deep scratches it picked up on a recent Loch Shiel trip. Those scratches were completely my fault of course, (dragging it onto the beach loaded with kit) but i've not treated it any differently to the mad river explorer i used to paddle and that didnt seem as prone to scratching. It;s my first Roylaex boat though do i guess i need to be extra careful with this one.

Love it though, it feels very natural and posotive to paddle this one, so much nicer than then MR explorers which by comparison are like paddling a canal barge.

I'll post some photo's of me drilling holes in it (which was also very easy due the the mostly evenly spaced rivets on the gunwales.

If anyone has any doubts about this boat, just get one, you wont be disapointed.

He is right, I
    bought a Prospector 15 RX last November after much time and reading up other peoples views, I had an Old Town 147(an x club boat) which my Son and I bought between us, he got fed up with it and I couldn't handle it on my own so sold it, within 6 months I was looking for another boat(open boating never leaves you) Well what can I say "What a fantastic boat" its light enough for me to man handle on and off the car and carry on portages, its very stable, been across Studland bay, Thames through London, canoe camping and some two up paddling, I can't praise it enough, however it does mark and crease very easily and should only be bought in RED lol "

"Paddling is the future"

Quote Originally Posted by Canoebiker View Post
    He is right, I
    bought a Prospector 15 RX last November after much time and reading up other peoples views, I had an Old Town 147(an x club boat) which my Son and I bought between us, he got fed up with it and I couldn't handle it on my own so sold it, within 6 months I was looking for another boat(open boating never leaves you) Well what can I say "What a fantastic boat" its light enough for me to man handle on and off the car and carry on portages, its very stable, been across Studland bay, Thames through London, canoe camping and some two up paddling, I can't praise it enough, however it does mark and crease very easily and should only be bought in RED lol "

"Paddling is the future"
    Is it any good for chasing after & catching escaped S-O-Ts?

My brief go in said canoe backs up what you say, manoeuvrable, stable etc. A good solo Prospector, though a little wide. Shame the red shows marks more than green boats....
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Is it any good for chasing after & catching escaped S-O-Ts?

My brief go in said canoe backs up what you say, manoeuvrable, stable etc. A good solo Prospector, though a little wide. Shame the red shows marks more than green boats....
    The boat might be, but Im not lol true about the marks(battle scars) or just lousy paddling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default For softies:

Quote Originally Posted by Deeky View Post
    Hi.
    Thanks.

For time-served menaces: paddle in shorts for a couple of years and you won't need a softy kneeling mat any more!

I've been paddling my green ash trim Prospector 15 for 3 yrs solo and can thoroughly recommend it.
    Light enough to carry myself, can do week long expeds and looks after me on WW rivers.
    The ash looks great too

Hi all. Hope somebody might be willing to help out a new boy here.... I'm looking at purchasing a canoe for myself, and after a lot of research I think I am decided on a NC prospector 15. The question that I have is regarding the hull shape. Is this more 1st or 2nd stage stabile? I assume that whatever it is I'll just get used to it, but the old tub I've been using seems to be a bit like Kato, and is eternally laying in wait to throw me out, and I think I would prefer something which is initially stable?!

Thanks for for any advice offered!

This boat has lots of primary and secondary stability! You'll feel very safe and stable in this boat. Fantastic build quality too, you'll be very happy with it I'm sure! Good luck and happy paddling!

Cheers dirtydog! It's nice to know that the frankly huge amount of time I've spent reading reviews and watching youtube videos has actually paid off...... Still, river spey here I come !!!!!!

Paddleincircles - I can endorse what dirtydog says about the stability, had mine for 4 years been on all types of water in all types of weather carrying all types of camping gear / people and dog - not fallen out yet (closest being a bow wave hitting the rear quarter from a car ferry as I cross pool harbour they move very quick and are huge)

if I can offer any advice buy the lightest boat you can afford - it doesent matter how light (heavy) the specks say, when wet with flotation, painters, paddles etc, the boat will always feel a lot dam heavier.

have fun - steve

Thanks for that Steve! I was just looking at the difference between Royalex & Royalex plus, and the weight differences vs the price difference......

I just ordered the new 15ft SP3 Prospector. I was pleasantly surprised to find the weight of the SP3 didn't put me off buying it in the least. I was prepared to walk away with a sore back and a sore wallet to buy a PAL or a Bob Special.

I would urge anyone buying new, faced with the choice of heavy but cheap SP3 vs light and expensive TuffStuff (RX no longer available), to give the SP3 a 'lift test'... you might save yourself a grand.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Default Nova Craft Prospector 15

Quote Originally Posted by nakedfiremaker View Post
    just thought i'd add something

i spent a day practising rescues in this on loch awe last week.

When swamped this boat is bloody difficult to remain upright in, i was trying to bail it out havnig tipped it and it just kept rolling over and taking on more water so i gave up and tried to paddle it to shore. Pretty hairy i have to say.

Still at least i know this so when i happens for real i can be ready :P
    In reply to stability here's my Sp3 still upright going around Fishermans bend on the Tay. We managed to empty it mid river without any problem, using another canoe obviously. Also being a beginner expertise was not required.

I would add that the weight isn't that bad, I managed to car top without great difficulty but my next one will be lighter. I lifted a Wenonah RX 15 and it's so much lighter 27kg compared to 34kg.
    As advised when I first asked for advice a few kg does make a lot of difference. I'm very happy with her and would definitely recommend a NC Prospector 15 Sp3 as a great value for money starter canoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Fox the Bob Special - get a Prospector !!

I went down to Ivybridge in Devon today to visit Kayaks and Paddles with a view to possibly buying either a NC Fox or a NC Bob Special. There's a story behind this, involving my quest to find a light 15 footish boat predominantly for solo paddling after having to return my Wilderness due to a fault, but my main reason for posting this is to let people know that Nova Craft quality seems to have taken a down turn recently, quite likely because they're under pressure to produce more composite boats since the demise of royalex. So if you're in the market for a new boat, be sure to inspect it well before handing over your hard earned (or stolen) cash.
    I saw quite a lot of damage, either from manufacture or transit, some of which had been professionally repaired and the price dropped a little to reflect this, but they have a lot of boats there still wrapped in bubble wrap, and so any flaws are not apparent until they're unwrapped - so beware, check your boat !!

I'll continue with the story now. The Fox, which was nicely light and easy to lift above my head for easy car topping was probably the boat I should have bought, but it was a little narrower than I thought was good for my personal circumstances, plus the fact there was no chance of a test paddle. So onto the Bob, which was the boat I thought I'd come home with. I was confident that this boat would suit me, with good stability, decent speed and quite light at just over a claimed 22kgs. But, I'd forgotten that the Bob has a shallow V hull, which is something I'm not keen on. It's a somewhat shallower V than the MR Explorer I had, but it's still going to scrape it's bottom in shallow waters before a shallow arch hull.
    Also, up till now, everything I'd looked at had some sort of defect.

So, thinking cap on - and I couldn't go home empty handed could I . I was fortunate enough to paddle Markl's NC P15 in Tuffstuff last year. It was a boat that I expected not to like, but I didn't have to paddle far in it to realise that it's my sort of boat i.e. nice and stable and faster that I'd expected it to be. Okay, it wasn't windy on the day, but most boats are a pig in the wind, some are just worse than others.

So I asked if they had a Tuffstuff P15 in Oxblood. Well guess what, they did, and although it's a little heavier than what I thought I'd buy, it's the boat that came home atop my car.

And here it is ready to go.

[IMG]

And at home.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

With regard to Kayaks and Paddles the dealer, they were a nice friendly bunch to deal with and I didn't realise they are the head office of a much bigger group that includes Bournemouth Canoes, Cornwall Canoes, Norfolk Marine and Manchester Canoes. There could be more but I can't remember them.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Lovely looking boat, congratulations!!!

I had one last year, but sold it for a solo boat and now I have a solo and a Wenonah P15. I find the Wenonah P15 easier to handle going into the wind, but that might be because I narrowed it to 34" (with Wenonah's blessing) so it probably now has a little less freeboard and rocker (although it turns on a sixpence). Much as I love my P15, I'm still curious to try a Nova Craft PAL and Fox. I know there are more exotic or patriotic options out there, but for the sort of paddling I do, I don't see the need to look further than Nova Craft and Wenonah.

This is just a guess, but from the look of the Fox, it should prove to be more stable than your Argosy.
    With regard to a Pal, I have one here in royalite which you could test paddle if you fancy a drive to Somerset.
    I'm going to be staying just outside Pershore for 3 weeks at the end of the month and I'll be bringing a canoe. Unfortunately (for you) it won't be the Pal, sorry.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    With regard to a Pal, I have one here in royalite which you could test paddle if you fancy a drive to Somerset.
    Might take you up on that, thanks, but probably not in the next few weeks as I'm in the process of moving and doing up houses.

Great looking boat! Stunning in Oxblood. I went for the TS Pal recently and have seemingly been lucky to avoid a defective boat. Mind you I have now defected(?) it by paddling it and scraping the hull a little .
    It's concerning to hear that some of the NC composite boats you saw were damaged in some way... what was the typical damage you saw? It might give others an idea as to what they should pay close attention to...

I am led to believe, probably incorrectly because I'm not "in the know", that the TuffStuff canoes are fully outfitted in Canada and all others are outfitted here in the UK. The UK boats are, allegedly, riddled with quality faults from shoddy outfitting. Like I said earlier, probably talking drivel but my NC prospector 16 in TS is in great condition.

Quote Originally Posted by meirion View Post
    I am led to believe, probably incorrectly because I'm not "in the know", that the TuffStuff canoes are fully outfitted in Canada and all others are outfitted here in the UK. The UK boats are, allegedly, riddled with quality faults from shoddy outfitting. Like I said earlier, probably talking drivel but my NC prospector 16 in TS is in great condition.
    You are not wrong, Tuffstuff comes in complete, plastic boats are outfitted here. My limited experience with boats outfitted here, both NC and Mad River, is that the quality can leave something to be desired. I can't speak for the outfitting of current plastic boats. All the faults I spotted today were on the hull.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Good choice Paul, I remain highly impressed with Mark's P15 having just returned from Scandinavia where he was using it and I got to play a few times. Have to say, you would be having kittens about the state of the scratches and chips after 12 days wilderness travel though!! Nothing remotely serious, though, and the terrain was as tough as it comes. At least in his Ivory you can't see the scratches too obviously!

"All the faults I spotted today were on the hull."

Doesn't sound great then! Good to know you got a good one anyway so live in peace in your new canoe

what was the typical damage you saw?
    Dents in the hull - most likely from transportation or the way they've been stacked/stored.

Scratches in the gel coat - don't know if that's from the factory or being moved around over here.

Ripples in the cloth where it hasn't been smoothed out properly during layup - to be expected in mass production I guess, but I didn't see any of that in the two carbon/Kevlar Megas I've owned.

Flakes of what looks like paint stuck to the hull. These were varying sizes and some could be picked off with a fingernail, but the larger ones were stuck too well to risk possible damage to the hull by trying to prise then off.

On two different Bob Specials I looked at, there was a flaw in the gel coat and paint in pretty much the same place on each boat, that looked like it went through to the cloth. It led me to believe that that there could be a flaw in the factory mould that needs sorting out.

What I saw today tells me that NC need to up their game in the QC department.

Okay, after several outings with one of these boats, these flaws might well pale into insignificance, but what irks me is that canoes from North America are no longer a cheapish commodity, and if we're going to be paying £2000 + for a boat, we should be able to expect a pristine product.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

so live in peace in your new canoe
    Do you speak Ojibway ?
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

No, Google is my friend I'm Welsh!

Have to say, you would be having kittens about the state of the scratches and chips after 12 days wilderness travel though!!
    What you describe Mal would give me palpitations if it was my Swift, but I'm just gonna have to suck it up with this boat. I knew before I bought it that Oxblood would show every mark.

Hope you had a great time and looking forward to the inevitable blog.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

No, Google is my friend I'm Welsh!
    Golly, I didn't realise that Google translate was that bright
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

This is my 16ft TS in oxblood with just landing at Snowdonia lake edges and canal use. You're going to have to get used to scratches on these.

Golly, I didn't realise that Google translate was that bright
    Google translate isn't that bright unfortunately. I pasted your signature into Google and brought up a thread on here where you explained it's meaning. A thread about bands you'd been introduced to I think !

This is my 16ft TS in oxblood with just landing at Snowdonia lake edges and canal use. You're going to have to get used to scratches on these.

To hide scratches, and I don't know if this will work with Oxblood, when I had my last Mega, which had the carbon/Kevlar weave showing, the maker told me to mix a liquid shoe polish (the same or similar colour to the boat) with some furniture polish and then rub it into the scratches and polish it off. It worked well on that boat.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

To hide scratches, and I don't know if this will work with Oxblood, when I had my last Mega, which had the carbon/Kevlar weave showing, the maker told me to mix a liquid shoe polish (the same or similar colour to the boat) with some furniture polish and then rub it into the scratches and polish it off. It worked well on that boat.
    If you try it first and get good results I'll definitely give it a go. It should be easy enough to get a liquid oxblood shoe polish. Doc Martens are making a comeback!!!!

It should be easy enough to get a liquid oxblood shoe polish
    This ought to do it . Can't do any harm, it's only polish.

I use a leather balsam on my Swift which works quite well in disguising scratches - until the next time it gets scratched .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Handy thread this.........I am awaiting the arrival of a delivery of TuffStuff Bobs, I will be vigilant. A fine tooth comb will be used.
    Thanks chaps!
    Andrew.

I'm still curious to try a Nova Craft PAL and Fox
    You may struggle to paddle a Fox unless you can find someone who already has one and will let you test drive it.
    Kayaks and Paddles don't have demo boats, so I'm guessing that applies to their other branches as well.

It's naughty really, expecting people to hand over a large wad of cash for a boat about which they possibly have no idea whether it will suit them or not. So they either buy blind or hope to get a paddle in a boat owned by someone who already has one. Good thing we're a friendly bunch on here innit .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

It's naughty really, expecting people to hand over a large wad of cash for a boat about which they possibly have no idea whether it will suit them or not.
    I totally agree. I've asked Kayaks and Paddles for a test paddle before, but to no avail. You'd think that if they have a number of defective TuffStuff boats, that they could let one or two become demo boats. After all they'll be (hopefully) discounting the price for a damaged boat anyway. I can only imagine that they would end up selling more this way.

Norfolk Marine are willing to put a new Bob in the water behind the shop for me to try.
    As said, a lot of brass to shell out blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
    Norfolk Marine are willing to put a new Bob in the water behind the shop for me to try.
    As said, a lot of brass to shell out blind.
    That's decent of them, and as it should be .
    It makes a difference if there's water close by I guess.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

What you describe Mal would give me palpitations if it was my Swift, but I'm just gonna have to suck it up with this boat. I knew before I bought it that Oxblood would show every mark.

Hope you had a great time and looking forward to the inevitable blog.
    What Mal is describing has also been applied to one of my Swifts!! Not abused but used with the inevitable damage. They are a tool to be used not museum pieces!!
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead59 View Post
    What Mal is describing has also been applied to one of my Swifts!! Not abused but used with the inevitable damage. They are a tool to be used not museum pieces!!
    yep, mine too. Some pretty decent chunks out of the gel coat (not just a scratch or two) from the river sections in Norway but it'll repair and it floats just fine. It was bought as an exped boat and used as one ... which is what it was made for. Par for the course and a great boat to paddle
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    yep, mine too. Some pretty decent chunks out of the gel coat (not just a scratch or two) from the river sections in Norway but it'll repair and it floats just fine. It was bought as an exped boat and used as one ... which is what it was made for. Par for the course and a great boat to paddle
    Indeed. Almost as good as an Ally!! Scratches? Barely a light scuff!!!

Scratches, scratches, all this talk about scratches - I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown shortly
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Scratches, scratches, all this talk about scratches - I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown shortly
    Don't worry, you need to get the boats out to scratch them, so I think yours will be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Sutchy View Post
    Don't worry, you need to get the boats out to scratch them, so I think yours will be safe
    Thank God for that, I was worried there for a while
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by Sutchy View Post
    And just to show that you shouldn't listen to camp fire gossip

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Yeah, your trim is all to cork there mate
    Nice to see you out again
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Yeah, your trim is all to cork there mate
    Nice to see you out again
    I'd need to bring the other two grand kids to get the trim right, and that ain't gonna happen
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Nice one Paul, though that centre seat doesn't look that comfy! At least its deep dished.....

You'll have them portaging it across Scandinavia before they know it. And portaging you, too, I expect....

You'll have them portaging it across Scandinavia before they know it.
    Getting a bit off topic here now but I can't help replying to your comment Mal.

There are many reasons why they haven't been out in a canoe with me before this year, but I took them out for the first time this May, and yesterday was the third time.
    The first time mainly, but each time since as well, it's been an absolute joy to see the thrill and enjoyment that they get from it. I believe it's adding an extra dimension to their slightly troubled lives, and even if they don't do it on their own in later life, I really hope that it embeds joyful memories in their minds, much the same as you and the littles pirates parents have done.

I've always been envious when I've read your blogs of those trips, wishing I'd done similar for my sons. It's all so easy in hindsight isn't it, but by doing this with my grandchildren, I hope I'm going some way to making up for the things I didn't do years ago.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast