Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nova Craft Pal

... and what if you put a green paddler in a red boat? would the shorter wavelength of green cancel out the effect of the longer wavelength of red, or would their effects get combined? i think we need some empirical research to verify all possibilities.

Congratulations on your new canoe Matt. Looks beautiful in white.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    i think we need some empirical research to verify all possibilities.
    Agree, there are too many variables - for instance are the paddlers made from tuffstuff, blue steel or... SP3? I'd like to think I was made from tuffstuff, but i'm probably fibreglass.

Quote Originally Posted by mw-fox View Post
    I took ownership of my TuffStuff Pal in desert white the other night - 10:30pm delivery from Norfolk to Devon... top service from Norfolk Marine there!

Waiting for the rain to stop, I took it out for a paddle this morning. Wow, its a fast boat! Well much faster than I have been able to shift in a plastic canoe that is. I also think the Pal is stunning in desert white

Chatting with Andy from NM, he tells me they only have two TS Pal's left in stock... so if any other SOTP folk are looking for a desert white Pal, then move quick. He also explained that 'if' they order more canoes from NC, the price will go up given the increased cost of shipping / exchange rates.

I'm really pleased with my Pal, and will now be looking for any excuse to taker her out!
    Matt

Glad you finally got it, looks lovely !!

Quote Originally Posted by cr500dom View Post
    Glad you finally got it, looks lovely !!
    Thank you

Initial feelings n tuffstuff v royalex , glide seems better so suspect is quicker, rides through boat wake a bit better so less hull slap. Seems more responsive to paddle stroke so does show up any paddler flaws. You still feel right at home though as you know you are still paddling a pal. Did notice on serial plate the capacity is less at 360kg , still plenty even after Xmas dinner.

Just wanted to jot down my thoughts after paddling my Royalite Pal since April this year in a variety of conditions including very windy club nights on a loch; a weekend trip down the Tay (taking in the Linn, dropping down the weir and the bouncy stuff down to Stanley Mills); loch weekends away carrying kit for 2 (teenager in kayak tagging along) and a training day on the Tay from the SCA put in at Edradynate down to Grandtully (getting out before the slalom course, I'm not that brave).

The only comparison I have is our club boats Old Town Discovery 14' and 16' boats

Kitting out is pretty normal in that I have fully laced it, Aiguille solid buoyancy at both ends and a kneeling thwart added. I have removed the 'rear' seat as a 60l barrel fits perfectly between the strengthening thwart and the buoyancy blocks.

Positives:
    It is easy for me to carry and car top on my own despite suspect shoulders and even more suspect fitness
    It is fast, sometimes a bit too fast (see negatives)
    It can easily carry me at around 20st and kit for two, inc 15l of water and 2 tents, and remain easy to control and track even on windy lochs
    It breaks in and out of eddies quite spectacularly if you get your weight forward and edge well. To the extent that on my first attempt I was catapulted straight out of the downstream side
    It is very controllable in the strong winds we get in Scotland with just me in it. I was often sitting backwards on the 'front' seat and simply using the wind to "ferryglide" across the loch

Negatives:
    In white water it takes on quite a lot of water, though I think that may be connected with it's speed and my need to keep paddling hard forwards when I should be slowing the boat down
    It grounds out quite easily (the time I got stuck on a submerged rock just before the get out at Grandtully was a bit of a moment) though I do carry more ballast than most
    My plastic version has scratched and dented a lot. This is connected to a very low water trip down the Tay loaded with kit, a stony beach at the club training site and me being less than careful with it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123